UPS lost my passport, can I get a new Chinese visa while at SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UPS lost my passport, can I get a new Chinese visa while at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
If I were the OP, I'd be on the phone with someone high up at A Briggs hoping they have a good relationship with the local SF consulate and can put me in touch with someone who can push through the same-day visa. Just showing up and hoping for the best at Chinese consulates is usually just an exercise in frustration.
Loren Pechtel, wrp96 and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by expert7700
SFO office will *NOT* issue or replace a VISA same day.. Even if they can, they won't.

I went there in November. I arrived at 7am before they opened. Plead my case at every single supervisor window. Showed them all my $3000USD nonrefundable plane ticket for the next morning. Showed them the print-outs that say expedite same day service with a price. Told them how much money I spent flying there based on their out of date website.

They ALL told me that the same day option required proof from hospital in China that you need to attend to a dying family member or to their funeral.

Ended up havnig a good friend pick up for me the next morning when they opened.
This is a useful data point that leads me to lower my confidence level in same day service there to a point that I might not even bother trying if I was the OP. That having been said, consular staff changes frequently, and some agents have empathy for people in situations like the OP. Perhaps the visa agency can call them, and use some of their 关系 in support of the OP?

In any event, I want to reiterate my advice that the OP should book a weekend in HK, Seoul, ULN, etc in the middle of his Beijing trip. I would do HK with BA points myself because refunds are easy (though my silver status might have something to do with this).

Last edited by moondog; Feb 28, 2019 at 6:13 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by expert7700
SFO office will *NOT* issue or replace a VISA same day.. Even if they can, they won't.
Whilst your experience doesn't surprise me based on my experience of that same office, the OP is in a slightly different situation in that they have already issued a visa for him, which does potentially allow some of the process to be short-circuited.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Continued thanks for all the information and ideas. Today's update:

I went to the Seattle UPS distribution center, and they said that, in fact, the last physical scan of the package had been in Oakland on Friday. Everything else was of containers that it was supposed to be in, but was not scanned when those containers were unpacked.

With little hope it would materialize today, I went to the Seattle passport office and secured a brand new passport. It's nice that we have friendly and helpful employees at all levels of government here.

A Briggs was less helpful than I would have hoped. Many people were apologetic and called me during the day. But all said that their consular relationships did not extend to same-day approvals. They said the best thing to do was go very early myself and plead my case.

So, I'm sitting at SEA with my new passport, headed to SFO to be at the consulate in the morning. The vibe I get is that I've got about a 70% chance, which I'll take at this point. Wish me luck!
jsloan, wyseson, sinoflyer and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, you can get a visa for China while in China. However, while it is being 'got', you will be without a passport, which is not an easy way to be for foreigners!
If in China and the government is holding onto your passport for a period of time, be sure to ask for the official document that lets you travel by train and check into hotels! Otherwise you will be seriously SOL in trying to do anything. (I cannot remember what the name of the document is, but just say you need to travel by train (even if that's a white lie) and they will know what to hand you.)

Originally Posted by j2simpso
One other thought crossed my mind! If OP took pictures of passport and Chinese Visa could he enter with his new passport showing those photos from his phone or does he need to have the physical old passport and Visa in hand?

Nope. Physical documents only. China loves paper. And they love to put red "chops" (fancy word for official stamps) on documents. Heck, I don't even think you can use mobile plane tickets in China, in living here for almost two years now I've only seen paper tickets!
Originally Posted by PVDProf
So, I'm sitting at SEA with my new passport, headed to SFO to be at the consulate in the morning. The vibe I get is that I've got about a 70% chance, which I'll take at this point. Wish me luck!
Best wishes! If possible, bring all the paperwork you need in order to obtain the visa (proof of return plane ticket back to America or wherever you travel to next, proof of hotel stay, invitation letter to visit someone or the focus group you're going to be working with) ... not positive it will help, but you'll have better luck if they're feeling generous.

Also, forgot to mention about the US Post Office and money order ... be sure to have your debit card or cash with you; the USPS doesn't sell money orders and let you pay for them with credit cards! Again, speaking from experience.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

I went to the Seattle UPS distribution center, and they said that, in fact, the last physical scan of the package had been in Oakland on Friday. Everything else was of containers that it was supposed to be in, but was not scanned when those containers were unpacked.

With little hope it would materialize today, I went to the Seattle passport office and secured a brand new passport. It's nice that we have friendly and helpful employees at all levels of government here.

A Briggs was less helpful than I would have hoped. Many people were apologetic and called me during the day. But all said that their consular relationships did not extend to same-day approvals. They said the best thing to do was go very early myself and plead my case.

Is it a second passport? ( I wasn't aware we could do this so I've learned something potentially useful)
Does A Briggs have a photo of the visa? While it would not be helpful for actual use I wonder if they sent you a jpeg of the existing visa if it would be useful in getting the consulate to do the one day visa thing?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What good is a visa service agency if they don't have connections that they're able and willing to use to correct a problem of this nature?
estnet, wrp96, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by SFHokie
If in China and the government is holding onto your passport for a period of time, be sure to ask for the official document that lets you travel by train and check into hotels! Otherwise you will be seriously SOL in trying to do anything. (I cannot remember what the name of the document is, but just say you need to travel by train (even if that's a white lie) and they will know what to hand you.)
You automatically get that "official document" when dropping off your Passport for the visa application process. It's a yellow paper that acts as a receipt and is also good for domestic train travel and hotel lodging/police registration, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
"Multiple loss" (i.e. 2 or more) of US passports will limited your future passports to 2-year validity for who knows how long. That's why a second passport (good for 2 years anyway?) may sound better than declaring a loss.
The "two strike" rule is soft. First, if the lost
passport shows up he can mail it in and get the strike removed. Second, he probably can document he never had it, thus never lost it.

The point of the rule is to make people responsible, not be punative.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:02 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The "two strike" rule is soft. First, if the lost
passport shows up he can mail it in and get the strike removed. Second, he probably can document he never had it, thus never lost it.

The point of the rule is to make people responsible, not be punative.
Also second passports are now good for 4 years...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

I truly hope that it all worked out for you today. Your really going the xtra mile to make this happen, so I hope you will give us the happy ending to this story! Best of luck
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Big drama in this thread. And lots of good people.

I just want to say that it’s great to see so many try to help OP in this most stressful situation. It warms my heart. I wish OP good luck.

Cheers to you all.
jsloan, wrp96 and Kannai like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I just want to say that it’s great to see so many try to help OP in this most stressful situation. It warms my heart. I wish OP good luck.

Cheers to you all.
I'm one of the many of who is routing for the OP 100%; this is a solvable problem!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Well, if happy endings are only for fairy tales, it is no wonder that the brothers Grimm wrote of the German forest and not the Chinese consulate. I was not successful today. They refused to give me a visa before Monday afternoon, and the Tuesday flight would not get me to the most important parts of my group's trip. I have notified my companions I'm a late scratch on the trip, and am back home in SEA.

I arrived at the consulate at 7:30, and was about 20th in line, which I would call "close to the front" when they opened at 9. After moving through security, I took a number. Windows 8 and 9 were for visas, and I was 12th in line for a visa issue. I was called to the window shortly before 10. I nicely explained my case, and initially got the response that same day was not possible except for medical emergencies. I then tried the angle that it should not be much work, because they had already given me a visa for this trip last week...the work was done. The agent took my paperwork, saying she would ask the consul after the morning meeting. Hope.

About 11, just as I noticed a Prem/E+ seat finally opened on tomorrow's flight, my phone rang calling me back to the window. The consul had decided: not for a tourist visa. I asked, smiling and kinda laughing (because this is stupid) if they'd talk to me. But, functionary says no. She'd get me one for Monday afternoon. Doesn't help me, I said; I need to cancel my trip and go home.

I retreated to a Starbuck's to review options. TWOV doesn't work for me, even with a quick stop outside PRC, because my destinations are all coastal fishing communities outside TWOV zones. Resignation.

UA was again understanding beyond my expectations. They had already changed my K fare to let me leave later and insert the 36 hours in SFO for the visa with no change fee or refare. When I further explained my plight, the agent put me on the next flight back to SEA, charged me for an SEA-SFO roundtrip, and issued an ETC for the balance, with no change fees. I give them tremendous credit for helping me give this my best shot.

Then I had some Mongolian beef for lunch.

There are some silver linings:
  • I spent last night in the Queen Anne Hotel near the consulate, which has a wonderful Victorian ambiance. Charming.
  • Immediately upon return, I got to meet up with a college friend who lives in EBB but is in SEA for a conference this week.
  • Since my meetings and classes next week are already canceled, I may just spend all of next week hiding at the library catching up on real writing.
  • My kids have decided that I left for China, but never came back from China.
For now, my (now invalid) passport is still missing. (Is that Chinese visa still good?) I expect I'll have a chance to recreate some of the value of this trip sometime in the coming year. Also, I get to deal with the insurance claims on the expenses I incurred replacing my passport, etc. A Briggs said they insure for replacement value, which I hope covers their fees and my new passport. Let's see what my Sapphire Reserve travel interruption insurance will cover.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement! I don't regret the effort.
estnet, jsloan, UA_Flyer and 6 others like this.

Last edited by PVDProf; Mar 2, 2019 at 2:44 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
For now, my (now invalid) passport is still missing.
Too bad it didn't work out. Just out of curiosity: did you report your "missing" passport lost? Did you try to get a second passport instead as others have suggested?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.