Wiki Posts
Search

Visa On Arrival (HKG --> Shenzhen) - no flights included

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Visa On Arrival (HKG --> Shenzhen) - no flights included

Dear all,

planing to visit Shenzhen during our stay in HKG for one or two days and use the Visa on Arrival - we have german passports with stamps from Turkey inside. I read that the stamps from Turkey might be a problem. Tried to get help from the Chinese Embassy in Germany but they have no clues about VOAs.

During my research i only found infos about denied VOAs (with Turkey stamps) at the Luohu immigration and some successfull ones as well. For Huanggang Immigration i only found positive infos.
  1. Could it be that Hunaggang Immigration is more relaxed and therefore the "easier" transfer point?
  2. Without Chinese skills ist it easy to use the Hunaggang Immigration point?
  3. Any recommendations?
Huanggang Port (皇岗口岸) is popular with locals, but unless you are familiar with the bus options or wish to use taxis, it is best to use one of the others, as there is no Shenzhen metro there. However, it is the only one open 24 hours a day.
THX

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 6, 2018 at 12:30 am Reason: Removed color tags to try and remove post from mod queue
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:41 am

Head through Luohu. It's not so much language, but the mechanics of getting there and getting out are far easier than at Huanggang, at least for a first-time traveller.

The Turkish stamp problem seems very hit or miss. I was questioned once (with a visa already) and let in, but haven't been questioned again.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

As we flying from Europe via PEK to HKG (4 hours transfer in PEK): Does it make sense to get the 72hour Visa on Arrival in PEK (even if we don't need it) in order to show Chinese immigration at the HKG-border that a Visa had been approved before?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:23 am

There's no 72-hour option at Beijing, and with just a four-hour layover you'll probably get turned back if you try for a 24-hour stamp without good reason. Besides, I see no advantage in your case to getting the stamp. The land border with HK is usually more relaxed than at airports in any event.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
There's no 72-hour option at Beijing, and with just a four-hour layover you'll probably get turned back if you try for a 24-hour stamp without good reason. Besides, I see no advantage in your case to getting the stamp. The land border with HK is usually more relaxed than at airports in any event.
Read on the Internet that with an "old" Visa it's easier to get a "new" approvement... and until now i only read about problems with Turkey stamps at the HK-Shenzhen border (nothing about other immigrations)... so they idea was to use the layover to get an other apporvement first...

OK, PEK is 144 hours instead of 72 but at the end no difference for us:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/emb...a/free-72hour/

Nothing about min. hours to stay - so thought this might be a creative option...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:12 pm

You will not get a 144-hour transit pass with a four-hour stopover. If they gave you a pass at all, it would be the 24-hour pass.

Turkish stamps can raise questions anywhere: at any border or consulate/embassy. The problem seems to come and go. If you have a lot of Turkish stamps or have Turkish ancestry maybe a different issue, I'm not sure. The Chinese government doesn't issue any notices about this, so all we have are a few data points from travellers.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Skydiver78
Read on the Internet that with an "old" Visa it's easier to get a "new" approvement...
PEK doesn't issue VOA, unless arranged in advance. I highly doubt that simply transiting through there will have any effect on your Shenzhen VOA.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:01 am
qpr

Originally Posted by Skydiver78
. and until now i only read about problems with Turkey stamps at the HK-Shenzhen border (nothing about other immigrations)....
There should be just a problem if you stood more than 4 weeks in a row in Turkey, as a european tourist it's common to stay 2-3 weeks in Turkey for holidays.

btw. as a german why didn't you use your ID card to enter Turkey to avoid the stamp?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
You will not get a 144-hour transit pass with a four-hour stopover. If they gave you a pass at all, it would be the 24-hour pass.

Turkish stamps can raise questions anywhere: at any border or consulate/embassy. The problem seems to come and go. If you have a lot of Turkish stamps or have Turkish ancestry maybe a different issue, I'm not sure. The Chinese government doesn't issue any notices about this, so all we have are a few data points from travellers.
Originally Posted by qpr
There should be just a problem if you stood more than 4 weeks in a row in Turkey, as a european tourist it's common to stay 2-3 weeks in Turkey for holidays.

btw. as a german why didn't you use your ID card to enter Turkey to avoid the stamp?
Until now it's the first time i read about problems with stamps from Turkey (at that point in time i saw no reason to use the ID instead of passport)... have about 3 or 4 Turkey stamps from the last 2 years, each for a weekend only - nothing longer than 4 days...

Just trying to minimize the risk getting rejected at the immigration not able to cancel the hotel reservation in Shenzhen an being forced to search for a new one...

Last edited by Skydiver78; Dec 9, 2018 at 2:48 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:09 pm

Even if you qualified for the 144-hour TWOV in Beijing. it is only for a transit and only valid around Beijing. You cannot travel around China with this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:00 pm

" . . . it is only for a transit and only valid around Beijing."

Just to be clear that "around Beijing" for this purpose does include Tianjin and all of Hebei Province.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.