Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proof of Address for Global Entry Application

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Proof of Address for Global Entry Application

I'm a US citizen living in Beijing. I want to apply for Global Entry for entering the US. The application states that I must supply proof of residence address during the interview. Anyone have a suggestion on what I can use to prove my Chinese address? I don't pay rent or utilities since my apartment is provided by my employer. The employer takes care of the foreigner registration with the police. Is it possible to get the police residence certification and get an official translation? If so, how do I get an official translation? Any other ideas on what I could use to prove residence?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:27 am

Even if your employer take care of your residence registration, you are supposed to have a copy of it that you carry around. Are oyu sure that they register you?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just show them your residence permit in the passport. That should be enough. Also, I don't know anyone who carries around a copy of their household registration certificate in China.
uanj likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:02 am

I am going to make a reasoned guess that they want the address of the place where you actually live, and some sort of proof that that is your actual address, just like for those super-duper driver's licenses in the U.S. Identifying your specific place of residence is part-and-parcel of identifying you. Merely showing you're legally resident in China won't cut it, I suspect.

I believe you can get a copy of your PSB registration at the appropriate paichusuo: sometimes banks and such want to see it. Not sure how fussy they'd be about the translation, but you can always have the translator swear an affidavit at the embassy that it's a true and accurate translation and get some fancy seals and ribbons attached.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

I finally had my interview and was approved. I was only required to show my passport and drivers license, which is what the interview confirmation indicated I would need. The interviewer didn't seem to check my residence permit either.
I suspect for US citizens living abroad, proof of address is not required.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: various
When I applied, I used a US physical address--actually a family address, but one which all my US banking/credit cards were tied to. At that time, others in China were supplying their Temporary Residence Permit that showed physical address (the one you get from your local police). Maybe they no longer bother with this for a US citizen applying from China.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The drivers license is proof of address. CBP does not necessarily mean a physical location outside the US (although for some people with no physical US presence it might mean that).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jiejie
...Maybe they no longer bother with this for a US citizen applying from China.
Originally Posted by Often1
...although for some people with no physical US presence it might mean that).
Maybe also not for other eligible citizens - though as always no guarantees my experience represen official policy.

UK citizen - resident in China - I took a translated copy of my paichusuo accommodation registration (or rather one of them - that's another story, but living in a location under the remit of the Wudaokou station I have to re-register every time I return from an overseas trip - even with a permanent resident card..!).

Had my interview on arrival at LAX last week - just asked to show my passport - no questions at all about my address in China. Approved before I reached the exit.

I highly doubt it matters, but maybe should add that I did have.(a low level) security clearance at a DOE US lab in the late 90s.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GinFizz
UK citizen - resident in China - I took a translated copy of my paichusuo accommodation registration (or rather one of them - that's another story, but living in a location under the remit of the Wudaokou station I have to re-register every time I return from an overseas trip - even with a permanent resident card..!).

This is ridiculous! I’m curious what happens if you don’t register after every trip. Have you tested them? As someone who leaves 3-4 times a month I would certainly be testing their stupid rule.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by travelinmanS

This is ridiculous! I’m curious what happens if you don’t register after every trip. Have you tested them? As someone who leaves 3-4 times a month I would certainly be testing their stupid rule.
Um, no you probably wouldn't if the local constabulary might find it in their hearts to fine your @ss. The rule may be stupid but it is their rule. Of the many fights in China one can pick, this wouldn't be one of my choices. And not all jurisdictions in China are this strict--many of them don't have a problem with foreigners on residence permits, returning to their previously-registered China addresses after a trip, skipping the re-registration. Beijing in general and Wudaokou in particular have always been more anal-retentive about the registration and re-registration after every trip. It's been this way for years. Living over in a heavy-foreigner Chaoyang District area of the CBD, my local paichusuo was OK with skipping the re-registering unless on a tourist or business visa....or would allow phoning in one's return rather than showing up in person.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
Um, no you probably wouldn't if the local constabulary might find it in their hearts to fine your @ss. The rule may be stupid but it is their rule. Of the many fights in China one can pick, this wouldn't be one of my choices. And not all jurisdictions in China are this strict--many of them don't have a problem with foreigners on residence permits, returning to their previously-registered China addresses after a trip, skipping the re-registration. Beijing in general and Wudaokou in particular have always been more anal-retentive about the registration and re-registration after every trip. It's been this way for years. Living over in a heavy-foreigner Chaoyang District area of the CBD, my local paichusuo was OK with skipping the re-registering unless on a tourist or business visa....or would allow phoning in one's return rather than showing up in person.
I show up at my police station once a year show them my passport and the guy prints out a form for me in one minute which I use to get the RP renewed. I guess I can add another data point to my list of why Shanghai is an immeasurably better place to live than Beijing
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:33 pm

I have lived in a hotel for the last few years and all I have to do to register is to go to the front desk and give them my passport. Sure beats finding the paichusuo and going there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.