Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Ctrip first/business oddity

Old Mar 24, 18, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, Mariott Gold

I'm looking at a domestic flight on China Eastern in which the plane only has business and economy--no first class. When I search ctrip, it shows the cheapest premium fare as "first" and then a number of fares designated "business" that are more expensive. I'm assuming all of these fares book into the business cabin but I am missing some quirk here? I can't get to a seat selection screen (if one will even appear) without purchasing the ticket.

If it matters, I'm looking at the 1:40 pm flight from CTU to PVG on 4/29.
Old Mar 24, 18, 4:10 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
If you hit the show more fares button seems they are in order.China Eastern Airlines

13:402h55m16:35

CTUPVG
Nonstop
Punctuality

-from USD 192

Flight details
Old Mar 24, 18, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, Mariott Gold
Sorry, I may not have been entirely clear. My concern is only whether by booking a ticket in "first" that is cheaper than some of the "business" fares, that somehow what I am buying is not actually a seat in the business cabin. This just seems odd to me that the first class fare is cheaper than the business fare. I know on US airlines, or at least on United, it's not uncommon for a single cabin to be marketed both as "first" and "business" but I just want to be sure there is not something different on ctrip.
Old Mar 24, 18, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sfolawyer View Post
Sorry, I may not have been entirely clear. My concern is only whether by booking a ticket in "first" that is cheaper than some of the "business" fares, that somehow what I am buying is not actually a seat in the business cabin. This just seems odd to me that the first class fare is cheaper than the business fare. I know on US airlines, or at least on United, it's not uncommon for a single cabin to be marketed both as "first" and "business" but I just want to be sure there is not something different on ctrip.
It looks like they are selling F class fares - perhaps, as this is to a major hub - to accommodate pax who may be connecting to three-class international destinations? (ie to allow through ticketing).

Looks like you'll get 40KG baggage allowance, but it will translate to biz class seating on board. They are also selling F on the China Eastern website, so it looks valid.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not a Ctrip oddity. There are ranges of first and business class fares, and higher business fares are often more expensive than cheaper first fares.
Old Mar 26, 18, 7:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Just about all domestic flights are 2 cabin - the higher one can be called First or Business ( even on the same airline).
Yes, whichever you book you will be in the top cabin.
Old Mar 26, 18, 7:59 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
A330

Search this Thread