Wiki Posts
Search

Withdrawing USD in a China Merchant Bank branch

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Withdrawing USD in a China Merchant Bank branch

Hi, this is quite a specific question.

I've been working few years in China, and remember I have some US left in my multi-currency China Merchant Bank account. (USD not RMB).

I'll make a layover in Shanghai soon and was wondering if I could take out easily (via ATM or on the front-desk) those USD in a CMB branch? I still have that Union Pay card that is still valid.

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:32 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by bledfeet

I've been working few years in China, and remember I have some US left in my multi-currency China Merchant Bank account. (USD not RMB).

I'll make a layover in Shanghai soon and was wondering if I could take out easily (via ATM or on the front-desk) those USD in a CMB branch? I still have that Union Pay card that is still valid.

Thanks!
I can only comment do you think from any US branch you can withdraw Canadian dollar or Mexican Peso, I'd forget the USD out of ATM.
I suspect given the Chinese very tight restriction on cash flow out of the country conversion is very tightly monitored with fees not so favorable fees, just saying...

But best of Luck, it is likely the reason I've still gone the cash route even as everyone else local has gone AliPay/WeChat and I look like an extinct animal paying with RMB.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:58 am

Thanks!
Should be fine as long as you bring an ID with you. The daily USD withdrawal limit is $5000 $10000.
bledfeet likes this.

Last edited by tauphi; Mar 16, 2018 at 9:07 am Reason: Incorrect limit.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tauphi
Should be fine as long as you bring an ID with you. The daily USD withdrawal limit is $5000.
Awesome! Thanks for the extra information. I think the limit I can carry in cash at the airport is $5000, so it's perfect!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:07 am

Awesome! Thanks for the extra information. I think the limit I can carry in cash at the airport is $5000, so it's perfect!
Actually I was wrong. The daily limit for withdrawals is actually USD10000. The daily limit for USD cash deposits without proof of origin is USD5000.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

Thanks!
It sounded to me you are taking cash out of China. Please bear in mind the monetary policy in China. You can only take out:
* Up to ¥20,000 in CNY, and;
* Up to US$5000 equivalence in total cash (including USD, CNY and other currencies) unless you have documents (in which case the allowance can be increased to US$10000).

Having said that, I doubt if that is really enforced in airports (some airports do have customs X-rays though).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:52 pm

Note that if the passport that you used to open the account expired, you may have to bring that old passport. You new passport number will not match what they have on file and this may be an issue. They will need to update your profile. Been there.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks!
1. You definitely need to do this face to face
-fortunately (for you), 招&#3 4892; has good customer service, in general
2. They can provide you with hard money on the spot
3. They can also transfer your USD to CNY within your account, which you can pull out of ATMs worldwide in local currency

Eta: I always go with #3 , myself. While the idea of converting USD to CNY and back to USD might seem absurd on the surface, Chinese banks are pretty good wrt fx rates. And, when I'm in the US, I withdraw from credit union ATMs that also utilise (close to) spot fx rates.
bledfeet likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 16, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ecowritingtablet
on the front desk. China is very strict about foreign currencies management.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but withdrawing USD from a USD account is honestly pretty easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.