Search

PVG hotel advice - 19 hour layover

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
PVG hotel advice - 19 hour layover

Hello,
I'm arriving PVG (from ORD) around 10 pm, departing next day at 5 pm. Deciding on hotel and wondering if its worth the trek back and forth to the city, or should I just stay at the Ramada near the airport?
Thanks-
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:25 am

With 19 hours I would certainly want to walk around and see some of the city. Around the airport there is nothing and it is incredibly boring.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
Originally Posted by JPDM
With 19 hours I would certainly want to walk around and see some of the city. Around the airport there is nothing and it is incredibly boring.
Indeed... Even if OP will get into a hotel more Downtown just close to midnight based on a 10PM arrival in PVG.
Would try to stay close to the metro line 2, then it's easy to get to the airport using the line 2 and Maglev (or taxi of course).
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Alright, similar question, different timings...

My flight arrives 0510 and my onward flight departs at 2310. I have no status, so while I HAVE spent this long at lounges before, I'm not sure that's an option here. So I have a few questions...

1) I'm flying MU, willing to pay to get into a lounge (as long as it's not on a time limit) are there any lounges in T-1 that have sleeper rooms that I can buy into? Or maybe a good quiet space like AV has in BOG?

2) If #1 is a no go, I'll need a hotel, I have a chinese visa, no issues there, I've been to Shanghai before, but just not an expert. Most hotels still have the archaic check-in times...are there any at/near PVG that either have really flexible check-ins, or hourly/day rates? I've never in my life been able to actually get a day rate, I've heard about them plenty of times, but the only time I even got close was when I called a hotel and was informed that YES they often do day rates, but they can't pre-book it, nor could they tell me on the phone how much it would be. That doesn't work for me, I'm not gonna get all the way to a hotel only to have them turn me away, or tell me some ridiculous rack rate I can't afford to pay. I'm happy to use a transit hotel or something if the hours line up, but I'm not sure that exists at PVG at all. Airbnb would totally work too, I looked into it, but couldn't find any that had the check-in hours I'd need.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
No luck?

I understand there's a transit hotel in T2. I know most airports would allow someone to get through security in a different terminal, I've done it in the US plenty of times just to use different lounges...but I'm not sure with no ability to speak Chinese that I'll be able to get past security. Is there any way I can get over to that hotel from an MU flight arriving at T1?

Also, will I be able to stay airside making a T1 INTL-INTL connection? I'm flying to the Philippines much later that day, if I can at least stay airside, I can probably find a place to crash and/or buy lounge access.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:40 am

The Line 2 subway trains shut down after 10pm.

http://service.shmetro.com/hcskb/242.htm

末班车发车时刻 Last train time
浦东国际机场 Pudong Airport
往广兰路 To Guanglan Lu (city)

I don't think you can make the maglev's extra last train at 10:40 either : http://www.smtdc.com/en/jszl1_2.html

If you have luggage to haul around, stay near the airport and commute into town the next morning for some sightseeing. From my experience many years ago, the folks at the transit hotel between T1 and T2 don't have workable foreign language skills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.