Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
China has largely moved to a cashless system with two widely accepted payment apps, AliPay and WeChat Pay. Both require extensive identity verification. Assuming you do not live in China (i.e. you are visiting for tourism/short term business, do NOT have a residence permit):

If you are coming for multiple visits:
  1. July 2023 update: A phone number does not seem to be required any more.
  2. [Optional but recommended] Open a new AliPay account (even if you have an existing one) because your old one could be in a weird state.
  3. Verify your passport with AliPay. If you have one, use your Chinese (+86) phone number over a foreign phone number. Many apps act differently if you use foreign phone numbers.
  4. Your account should be fully active and you can have a friend top up your balance on AliPay and pay with the balance.
  5. Add a Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club or Discover card to your account. For small purchases you can pay with your foreign credit card with no fee. A purchase of Y271 triggered a 3% fee.
If you need a phone number:
Go to a China Mobile or China Unicom store and get a cell phone number (estimated time 2.5 hours). Ideally go to the largest branch with most representatives as they will have the best chance of figuring it out. All you need is your passport and cash to pay the initial deposit (I brought Y200). Tourist visa is fine. You want to open this in the area that you will spend the most time in, as they may give you data locked to your province. I am paying Y40 for 12GB data (you need to keep the plan active in some form, even when you are outside of China). More details in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35217727-post24.html

If you are coming for a one time visit (maximum 10,000 CNY in 180 day period). This method is not currently recommended as the fees are higher than the above method and ID verification is still required.
  1. Download AliPay from the App Store
  2. In the search box at the top, type "TourCard"
  3. Verify your information and load money onto it. You will be charged a 5% fee for adding money. If the money is not used fully after 180 days, it will be refunded to your card. The current limit is 10,000 CNY. If you want to top up more than that, you can cancel the card after it expires and reopen a new card. The remaining amount of chargeable balance (max 10,000 CNY) will not be reset if you apply for a refund. My understanding is that since this is linked to your passport, if you need more than 10,000 CNY, you have to use another solution. Restrictions: You cannot transfer money to another account. Does not support wealth management, red envelope, etc.

Currently it is not recommended to open a bank account.

Print Wikipost

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I use g pay without problems, but it's only connected to my US bank accounts.
Right, I was talking about Chinese issued cards only.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Haven't had issues with cash yet.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Haven't had issues with cash yet.
In the PVG airport, airside, there is a machine that sells bottled water at a much more reasonable price than typical for airports. It can't take cash or credit cards, though, paying with your phone is the only option.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:03 pm

During my last trip to China, I went to a bar with a friend in Beijing and I tried to pay with cash and the person looked so confused. They were probably thinking "... is this?" and then they told me that they didn't carry any cash to make change for the 300 RMB for the 253 RMB bill. I ended up paying 200 in cash and my friend used their WeChat to pay for the rest of it. Very annoying.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:21 pm

I think that's the real practical issue. Not that places aren't willing to accept cash, but you should always be prepared to fork over exact change since they don't have much cash on hand any longer.

This works the other way, too. If you do pay by phone all the time, then on the rare occasion you need small change -- take a 2RMB local bus, for example -- you probably won't have it.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by 889
I think that's the real practical issue. Not that places aren't willing to accept cash, but you should always be prepared to fork over exact change since they don't have much cash on hand any longer.

This works the other way, too. If you do pay by phone all the time, then on the rare occasion you need small change -- take a 2RMB local bus, for example -- you probably won't have it.
Haha this is so true. My friend was showing me around and we decided to take the bus and she literally did not have any cash for the 2RMB fare.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by jdang
Haha this is so true. My friend was showing me around and we decided to take the bus and she literally did not have any cash for the 2RMB fare.
Which is way rather quickly more and more buses do accept UnionPay payment (contactless) besides the local public transport card.

And subway station token machines are getting upgraded at a rather quick pace all across China (PRC only, the rest falling further behind. I almost can't believe the technological gap when travelling to Non-Mainland China areas nowadays) to accept WeChat as well as AliPay.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Which is way rather quickly more and more buses do accept UnionPay payment (contactless) besides the local public transport card.

And subway station token machines are getting upgraded at a rather quick pace all across China (PRC only, the rest falling further behind. I almost can't believe the technological gap when travelling to Non-Mainland China areas nowadays) to accept WeChat as well as AliPay.
In HK, Cash is King.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
In HK, Cash is King.
This is why your convenience stores are much less convenient than ours.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by moondog
This is why your convenience stores are much less convenient than ours.
Ironically, the only convenient thing about them is that I can buy something small and get cash out instead of having to find an ATM. Then again, why should I need that cash in the first place...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:38 pm

Both Alipay and WeChat now have options to let a relative or friend directly use your bank card for payments, including payments with QR codes. You attach them to your account and then set a monthly spending limit. On Alipay this is called 亲密付. On WeChat it's called Relative Cards (on WeChat look under Me > WeChat Pay > Wallet).

This may -- may -- be a way of allowing trustworthy friends visiting China to use QR codes on their phones for payments, if it doesn't require the attached friend or relative to be name verified. But I don't whether this is the case. I also don't know whether it works with Alipay or WeChat accounts opened with non-Mainland mobile numbers.

Perhaps some guinea pigs will try this out and report back.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I recently opened a WeChat account in the USA. A friend of mine whom is a USA Expat and has an account in China tied to a China phone number wanted to send me some money so I would be able to pay merchants while traveling in China. I’ve read there’s been some recent changes in the WeChat app that prohibits foreign tourists from doing the same. Seems you need to have Credit card issued by Chinese bank to verify and US cards will not work. This is all new for me any advice. Thanks and enjoy your travels
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I haven't tinkered with my settings in a while, but my understanding is that as long as you enroll in wx and/or ap using a PRC phone number, other people can juice your accounts for you. That having been said, spending an hour to get a good bank account is well worth the effort for frequent visitors.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:55 am

I will repeat once again that I understand that is no longer the case: if the recipient of the funds does not register with a Chinese bank card within 24 hours the funds will automatically go back to the sender.

But you might try "lending" your bank card to your friend per my post above. Let us know if it works.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks to both of you for your replies. The big operative in having him lend me his code is “if” . If it’s for sure, great but I don’t want to be the guinea pig and end up in China and it not working. I read a few blogs and there use to be some workarounds but I guess things are clearly changing. My travel isn’t until early September so I have some time to work it out. I hope those guinea pigs arrive :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.