Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
China has largely moved to a cashless system with two widely accepted payment apps, AliPay and WeChat Pay. Both require extensive identity verification. Assuming you do not live in China (i.e. you are visiting for tourism/short term business, do NOT have a residence permit):

If you are coming for multiple visits:
  1. July 2023 update: A phone number does not seem to be required any more.
  2. [Optional but recommended] Open a new AliPay account (even if you have an existing one) because your old one could be in a weird state.
  3. Verify your passport with AliPay. If you have one, use your Chinese (+86) phone number over a foreign phone number. Many apps act differently if you use foreign phone numbers.
  4. Your account should be fully active and you can have a friend top up your balance on AliPay and pay with the balance.
  5. Add a Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club or Discover card to your account. For small purchases you can pay with your foreign credit card with no fee. A purchase of Y271 triggered a 3% fee.
If you need a phone number:
Go to a China Mobile or China Unicom store and get a cell phone number (estimated time 2.5 hours). Ideally go to the largest branch with most representatives as they will have the best chance of figuring it out. All you need is your passport and cash to pay the initial deposit (I brought Y200). Tourist visa is fine. You want to open this in the area that you will spend the most time in, as they may give you data locked to your province. I am paying Y40 for 12GB data (you need to keep the plan active in some form, even when you are outside of China). More details in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35217727-post24.html

If you are coming for a one time visit (maximum 10,000 CNY in 180 day period). This method is not currently recommended as the fees are higher than the above method and ID verification is still required.
  1. Download AliPay from the App Store
  2. In the search box at the top, type "TourCard"
  3. Verify your information and load money onto it. You will be charged a 5% fee for adding money. If the money is not used fully after 180 days, it will be refunded to your card. The current limit is 10,000 CNY. If you want to top up more than that, you can cancel the card after it expires and reopen a new card. The remaining amount of chargeable balance (max 10,000 CNY) will not be reset if you apply for a refund. My understanding is that since this is linked to your passport, if you need more than 10,000 CNY, you have to use another solution. Restrictions: You cannot transfer money to another account. Does not support wealth management, red envelope, etc.

Currently it is not recommended to open a bank account.

Print Wikipost

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I notice that this requirement to give a Chinese bank card has started to filter to other apps as well. Didi has become noticeably harder to use as I couldn't tip my driver unless I gave a Chinese bank card number. (They also ask now for a Chinese phone number before booking; I had to give my friend's number.)

Originally Posted by jdang
Any idea what I need to bring to the bank to open an account. I heard ICBC would be easiest. I also don't speak Mandarin at all.

From what I keep searching around I need the following:
1. Passport w/ Visa (I only have 10 year tourist visa)
2. China Sim for Chinese phone number?
3. Paper showing you registered with PD that Hotel usually does for you when you check in?
4. Cash deposit

I would actually prefer opening a bank account but I don't know how easy that would be since I rather just put money in there than trust third party money that might get my account banned or something.
I wonder if having business with ICBC outside of China will help with opening an account in China. I know the reverse is true (ICBC in China helps with setting up accounts overseas), but it would be great to hear if anyone was able to set up an ICBC account in China with help from their branches/subsidiaries abroad.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:44 am

As said before here, you may have to put a great deal of legwork into finding a bank branch that will open an account for you with a tourist visa. Since there seems to be some discretion involved at some banks, speaking Chinese (or having a Chinese speaker with you) would be a big help: you don't want the bank to think that dealing with you would be a hassle.

Not sure what paper you can get when staying at a hotel these days: the standard is the temporary lodging registration slip you get from the PSB when staying privately. (Before computerisation, hotels did have a paper copy of this form at hand.) In any event, make sure you have a business card or such with the address of the hotel in Chinese.

Unless you're a very big and important client, I doubt that having a relationship outside China with ICBC would count for much.

As an extra ID document, I'd take a driver's license or something just in case.

Be prepared to fill out a CRS form with your SS number or other home-country tax ID. In my experience they don't ask for proof of the number, but who knows in any given case.

Finally, note that not all Chinese banks work for foreigners with WeChat or Alipay. And remember that when you open your account, you have to expressly open certain options for online banking and online purchases and link-ups with Alipay/WeChat.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I came back here earlier this year, I stayed in a hotel when I was looking for apartments. The temporary residence permit the hotel gave me was every bit as bullet proof as the ones you get when going to PSBs on your own, and it took them less than two minutes to issue it.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
FWIW, I recently opened a bank account in Shenzhen by just bringing my passport (tourist visa valid less than 1 year), my phone with a China Unicom SIM, a Hong Kong proof of address (utility bill) and my Hong Kong TIN. Granted I do live in Hong Kong and said I needed the bank account because I frequently travel between HK and the Mainland.

- I do not speak Mandarin (beyond the simple phrases you pick up from spending a fair amount of time in China)
- I did not need any 'residence certificate' (or similar) from my hotel

This was at ICBC in central Shenzhen and I also had the bank staff help me set up both WeChat and Alipay to ensure it was fully working before I left.

YMMV.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:26 pm

Beware! Like someone else here recently, I just got hit while trying to make a Wechat payment with a demand that I upload a photo of my passport and myself. Irritating as can be that they wait till you're in the middle of a payment to do this, instead of notifying you beforehand when you log on.

EDIT: And as long as we're complaining, have you ever checked out how much Wechat stores on your phone? Almost 1 GB! A new install of Wechat, used only for payment, takes 384MB for the app itself, then once you start it up and register, you find there's an additional 617MB of data. Whatever for?

Last edited by 889; May 24, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jdang
For a while, you can use your foreign credit card to verify your account. You can't receive red envelops but you can receive money through barcode or friend transfer. Now they blocked that off completely without the bank card. I just came back from China March 25 and I tried to transfer more money into my account but I was not able to anymore even though I was able to early February.
This happened to me also in recent trip early this month. So now, I emptied out the wechatpay and would not be able to use it anymore!
I think the gov does want foreigners to receive or transfer money from/to others.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
This happened to me also in recent trip early this month. So now, I emptied out the wechatpay and would not be able to use it anymore!
I think the gov does want foreigners to receive or transfer money from/to others.
It's been happening to pretty much everyone I know during the course of the past week.

In the banking thread, I noted that I used my Florida drivers license for the ID picture, and it worked. Well, it only worked for 3 days, so I redid the drill with my passport. All is good now

I DID need to empty my wallet, and start from scratch, but this is because my bank account number changed, and Wechat provides no ways to update it. While this was annoying, I pulled it off.

At present, I prefer Alipay to Wechat Wallet because the former hasn't started playing verification games yet, and it's slightly faster (i.e. only two clicks required to use the payment button).
Old May 26, 2019, 8:13 am

I just got an NFC-enabled phone and thought I'd attach my Chinese bank's UnionPay card and swipe away. But no luck. The bank's app will only register Chinese ID card holders for NFC payments, and the UnionPay app says QuickPass isn't enabled on my card (though by the symbol on the card it clearly is).

Is this another case where foreigners are being blocked, either by policy or technology, or is it simply my bank being difficult? Has anyone managed to get NFC QuickPass payments working on their phone?

Hard to understand why there's any limitation for NFC payments, though, since I can make QR code payments with no problem on both my bank's and the UnionPay app.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by 889
I just got an NFC-enabled phone and thought I'd attach my Chinese bank's UnionPay card and swipe away. But no luck. The bank's app will only register Chinese ID card holders for NFC payments, and the UnionPay app says QuickPass isn't enabled on my card (though by the symbol on the card it clearly is).

Is this another case where foreigners are being blocked, either by policy or technology, or is it simply my bank being difficult? Has anyone managed to get NFC QuickPass payments working on their phone?

Hard to understand why there's any limitation for NFC payments, though, since I can make QR code payments with no problem on both my bank's and the UnionPay app.
I'm guessing that your bank doesn't give a rat's behind about foreigners because we hold .01% of their accounts, and don't park $200 million in assets with them.

That having been said, if you give them a call, and explain the issue, they will probably fix it.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:15 am

"That having been said, if you give them a call, and explain the issue, they will probably fix it."

Right. Two hours at the bank explaining the issue, then back and forth as they make calls to head office, only to be finally told that's the way it is. Been there before.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by 889
"That having been said, if you give them a call, and explain the issue, they will probably fix it."

Right. Two hours at the bank explaining the issue, then back and forth as they make calls to head office, only to be finally told that's the way it is. Been there before.
I wouldn't waste a single ounce of time on this with a big bank (i.e. your accountant might hate Alipay, but it is easier for you). However, if you bank with a company like Huaxia, the CS people communicate directly with the product managers.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing that your bank doesn't give a rat's behind about foreigners because we hold .01% of their accounts, and don't park $200 million in assets with them.

That having been said, if you give them a call, and explain the issue, they will probably fix it.
Second this. It's like when I had to use internet cafes--they were quite capable of handling foreign IDs but not all the staff actually knew how to do it.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by 889

ApplePay works for me. Android Pay doesn't work for obvious reasons. I don't have a Chinese-made Android phone so can't comment on things like Huawei Pay, etc.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
My ICBC debit card is working well with Apple Pay.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
ApplePay works for me. Android Pay doesn't work for obvious reasons. I don't have a Chinese-made Android phone so can't comment on things like Huawei Pay, etc.
I use g pay without problems, but it's only connected to my US bank accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.