Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
China has largely moved to a cashless system with two widely accepted payment apps, AliPay and WeChat Pay. Both require extensive identity verification. Assuming you do not live in China (i.e. you are visiting for tourism/short term business, do NOT have a residence permit):

If you are coming for multiple visits:
  1. July 2023 update: A phone number does not seem to be required any more.
  2. [Optional but recommended] Open a new AliPay account (even if you have an existing one) because your old one could be in a weird state.
  3. Verify your passport with AliPay. If you have one, use your Chinese (+86) phone number over a foreign phone number. Many apps act differently if you use foreign phone numbers.
  4. Your account should be fully active and you can have a friend top up your balance on AliPay and pay with the balance.
  5. Add a Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club or Discover card to your account. For small purchases you can pay with your foreign credit card with no fee. A purchase of Y271 triggered a 3% fee.
If you need a phone number:
Go to a China Mobile or China Unicom store and get a cell phone number (estimated time 2.5 hours). Ideally go to the largest branch with most representatives as they will have the best chance of figuring it out. All you need is your passport and cash to pay the initial deposit (I brought Y200). Tourist visa is fine. You want to open this in the area that you will spend the most time in, as they may give you data locked to your province. I am paying Y40 for 12GB data (you need to keep the plan active in some form, even when you are outside of China). More details in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35217727-post24.html

If you are coming for a one time visit (maximum 10,000 CNY in 180 day period). This method is not currently recommended as the fees are higher than the above method and ID verification is still required.
  1. Download AliPay from the App Store
  2. In the search box at the top, type "TourCard"
  3. Verify your information and load money onto it. You will be charged a 5% fee for adding money. If the money is not used fully after 180 days, it will be refunded to your card. The current limit is 10,000 CNY. If you want to top up more than that, you can cancel the card after it expires and reopen a new card. The remaining amount of chargeable balance (max 10,000 CNY) will not be reset if you apply for a refund. My understanding is that since this is linked to your passport, if you need more than 10,000 CNY, you have to use another solution. Restrictions: You cannot transfer money to another account. Does not support wealth management, red envelope, etc.

Currently it is not recommended to open a bank account.

Print Wikipost

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by qpr
But you should mention that they'll charge you a 5% fee when you top up your Tour Pass.
Thanks for letting me know. It seems that the 5% fee has been effective since 2020. Better stick to cash next time I visit the mainland.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by qpr
But you should mention that they'll charge you a 5% fee when you top up your Tour Pass.
I wonder which option is cheaper/better "paying 5% fee for Alipay Tour Pass" vs "paying fee to get CNY cash"...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:55 pm
qpr

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I wonder which option is cheaper/better "paying 5% fee for Alipay Tour Pass" vs "paying fee to get CNY cash"...
I don't pay any fee when I get cash at the ATM.

There're still bank companies out who don't charge you a fee.
Flying Machine and :D! like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by qpr
I don't pay any fee when I get cash at the ATM.

There're still bank companies out who don't charge you a fee.
Lucky you!
I need to check with my bank how much they charge fee. I don't know banks in China, but foreign banks themselves also charge fee not my bank, I believe.
I noticed that Alipay refunded remaining balance to my card when the Tour Pass expires.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My bank waves all fees on my side, and I’ve never been charged a fee from the originating Bank at a China ATM, In fact the rates are somewhat identical to the Forex rates
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC
I managed to open a basic ATM cash card bank account in the past couple of days, and link it to WeChat and Alipay. I am an infrequent but recurring visitor to China with a Tourist Visa, and just went to a few of the larger national bank branches in Qingdao and eventually got some sympathy at China Merchants Bank after being told several times at other banks/branches it was not possible. It did take quite some time to get the paperwork right, and it needed two people in the branch and two in headoffice to approve it all. And having a patient Chinese friend to help you through the process is essential.

Last edited by plunet; Jan 21, 2020 at 6:09 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
I managed to open a basic ATM cash card bank account in the past couple of days, and link it to WeChat and Alipay. I am an infrequent but recurring visitor to China with a Tourist Visa, and just went to a few of the larger national bank branches in Qingdao and eventually got some sympathy at China Merchants Bank after being told several times at other banks/branches it was not possible. It did take quite some time to get the paperwork right, and it needed two people in the branch and two in headoffice to approve it all. And having a patient Chinese friend to help you through the process is essential.
Congrats!
Can you share additional details by answering some questions:
1. How do you fund the basic ATM cash card account? (do they allow foreign bank account or foreign credit card?)
2. You mention China Merchant Bank in Qingdao, do you get the feel that same bank in other cities might incline to do same? (have you tried other cities?)
3. What specific documents were needed by the bank?
Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Congrats!
Can you share additional details by answering some questions:
1. How do you fund the basic ATM cash card account? (do they allow foreign bank account or foreign credit card?)
2. You mention China Merchant Bank in Qingdao, do you get the feel that same bank in other cities might incline to do same? (have you tried other cities?)
3. What specific documents were needed by the bank?
Thank you in advance!
You didn't ask me, but allow me to opine:
1. To fund your account, simply withdraw money from the ATM using your foreign account; credit cards don't work

2. IME, the individual branch is more important than the bank company itself; if they want the business, and their staff likes you, you have a decent shot of pulling things off

3. As for docs, every bank is different, but I've always been asked to show my passport/visa, and a temporary residence permit (that most hotels can print out for you upon request). Having a verified local cell phone is also useful, and plans now cost as little as Y8 per month
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:24 pm

Having a Chinese mobile number is more than useful: you definitely need it.

And while the bank may or may not want a lodging registration slip, they will want a Chinese address, so take a card from the hotel.

Be prepared to provide your home country address and tax ID number.

Remember that if you lose your ATM card or need other help, you'll usually have to head back to the same city maybe even the same branch.

Don't complicate this with overseas transfers. Just get RMB cash and deposit it. (Again, making further cash deposits out of the area where you opened the account may be awkward.)

Finally, since opening an account is discretionary, if your Chinese is not up to par bring a Chinese speaker along. You don't want the staff to think that dealing with you will be a hassle.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889
Having a Chinese mobile number is more than useful: you definitely need it.

And while the bank may or may not want a lodging registration slip, they will want a Chinese address, so take a card from the hotel.

Be prepared to provide your home country address and tax ID number.

Remember that if you lose your ATM card or need other help, you'll usually have to head back to the same city maybe even the same branch.

Don't complicate this with overseas transfers. Just get RMB cash and deposit it. (Again, making further cash deposits out of the area where you opened the account may be awkward.)

Finally, since opening an account is discretionary, if your Chinese is not up to par bring a Chinese speaker along. You don't want the staff to think that dealing with you will be a hassle.
1. I lost my ATM card last year, and the bank branch initially told me to go to the branch in which I opened my account; they eventually relented, but this added a solid 20 minutes to my bank visit

2. I agree that making this process easy for the bank people is likely to improve odds of getting an account

3. I have never had any issues making cash deposits at the CDM machines, but withdrawing money from my US accounts in order to make the deposits can be a little challenging at times. For example, CCB in Shenzhen is usually a waste of time, and when I'm in Nanning, I completely write off the local banks. That having been said, I've not been rejected by an ICBC ATM/CDM anywhere
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by moondog
You didn't ask me, but allow me to opine:
1. To fund your account, simply withdraw money from the ATM using your foreign account; credit cards don't work

2. IME, the individual branch is more important than the bank company itself; if they want the business, and their staff likes you, you have a decent shot of pulling things off

3. As for docs, every bank is different, but I've always been asked to show my passport/visa, and a temporary residence permit (that most hotels can print out for you upon request). Having a verified local cell phone is also useful, and plans now cost as little as Y8 per month
Yes, agree with a lot of what @moondog says above. I get the impression it was much more about the individual staff being prepared to do something out of the ordinary and your Chinese skills or your Chinese friend being able to encourage the staff to take this on. I did the account opening on Sunday, and because of CNY the branch was especially quiet and I think the challenge gave them something to get their teeth into.

I funded the account with Cash. And in terms of documentation it was passport, including tourist visa (2 year visa, few months remaining, three entry stamps against that visal, UK driving licence which also has my UK address, local SIM card number. I also had to sign a letter describing my personal circumstances but there was no evidence of this. I also happened to have a business card for my job back in the UK but I don't think this was essential. I provided a Chinese address (a private residence of my friend) which is also where I am staying rather than a hotel, they didn't ask to see the police registration document to say I am registered as staying there.

A delay was caused by them setting the account name up as Firstname Surname which they processed fully but was rejected by Head Office as they missed out my middle name which to be fair I did suggest they needed. Redo the one A4 sheet and the signed letter, and it all went through in about 30mins.

When you do the link with WeChat Pay and AliPay your name has to exactly match the name at the bank. Hint: use capitals!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:00 am

Indeed, make sure your name as used by the bank exactly matches the full name in your passport, because that's what Wechat/Alipay will require. A few banks may have systems that only accept names up to 20 characters/spaces and if that's not enough for your full name, head to another bank, because you'll have trouble registering on Wechat/Alipay with a truncated name.

I'm very surprised they didn't hand you the CRS form requiring disclosure of your UK tax id number.

Before leaving Qingdao, check everything, like the card itself and online banking, so you can resolve any problems with the bank. (There are various options that need to be set to allow online purchases, for example.) Hopefully you got whatever gizmo CMB requires for online banking/purchases. Run the mobile app as well.

The bank will have given you some papers. Keep these safely, since they show important information if you need help down the road.

(CMB, which is not considered a state-owned bank, does have a good reputation for customer service.)
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...nes-2019-11-06

I just came across this earlier today. moondog or anyone here in Mainland China able to comment on this? If this is true and I can simply connect my US credit cards to WeChat Pay, this will be a game-changing situation for me and I'll never have to go and get a Chinese bank account. Then I can't imagine a scenario where I'll need to use cash.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...nes-2019-11-06

I just came across this earlier today. moondog or anyone here in Mainland China able to comment on this? If this is true and I can simply connect my US credit cards to WeChat Pay, this will be a game-changing situation for me and I'll never have to go and get a Chinese bank account. Then I can't imagine a scenario where I'll need to use cash.
It's the Alipay tour pass mentioned above in this thread. Definitely not as good as linking a mainland account but it does seem things are moving in the right direction. I received a survey from Alipay last week and they asked a bunch of questions about how they could make their service better for foreigners. Since I've linked my mainland bank accounts already that's not an issue but I did include allowing foreign credit cards or foreign bank accounts to link directly rather than through the tour pass as a wish of mine. My main two desires were ability to use Alipay internationally and making it easier to change your passport number in the app when you get a new one.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by travelinmanS; Jun 15, 2020 at 3:07 am
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It's the Alipay tour pass mentioned above in this thread. Definitely not as good as linking a mainland account but it does seem things are moving in the right direction. I received a survey from Alipay last week and they asked a bunch of questions about how they could make their service better for foreigners. Since I've linked my mainland bank accounts already that's not an issue but I did include allowing foreign credit cards or foreign bank accounts to link directly rather than through the tour pass as a wish of mine. My main two desires were ability to use Alipay internationally and making it easier to change your passport number in the app when you get a new one.
I'm more interested in WeChat Pay's solution since it seems like it can be linked to a US credit card. If this works, that would be awesome! Do you know if it'll work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.