Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Didi for first time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I think the poster is asking about hotel to airport, in which case Didi can be useful.
Agreed
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:46 pm

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like if the Didi driver uses the app messaging to confirm the reservation, we'll be in good shape, but if they prefer to use voice call method and try to call my US number, my reservation may get cancelled right?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by jetblue-jfk-roc
Thanks for the responses! It sounds like if the Didi driver uses the app messaging to confirm the reservation, we'll be in good shape, but if they prefer to use voice call method and try to call my US number, my reservation may get cancelled right?
You can message him on WiFi.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I use Didi every day in Shenzhen. I never answer the call because there's no point.

Instead, as soon as the ride is accepted I send the first auto-translated instant message confirming my location.

If the driver still calls then I send the other auto-translated message saying I can't answer the phone right now. I then repeat the first instant message.

Never fails.
DLDC likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:47 pm

I prefer prefer voice calls most of the time because my apartment is hard to find, and my office has tons of people calling Didi after work.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:18 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I use Didi every day in Shenzhen. I never answer the call because there's no point.

Instead, as soon as the ride is accepted I send the first auto-translated instant message confirming my location.

If the driver still calls then I send the other auto-translated message saying I can't answer the phone right now. I then repeat the first instant message.

Never fails.
Good tip, but depending on who the driver is, some very old school. I'm finding private Premium/Lux drivers are far better, younger and more professional, and often just a few RMB more, well worth it given the summer months and how cheap the Taxi guys seem to be with AC.
DLDC likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:46 am

Just reporting back the English version of Didi worked great. Used it several times while in China. 1 driver texted, I used the english translation feature, 1 driver, texted, i texted back in Chinese, and 1 driver called my US cellphone to confirm my location (we were in-front of the hotel) but hey whatever. The rides were all fine, great value. Only issue I had was for some reason for the last ride, it would not run the payment through with the app in English. I was able to bum my way through with my Chinese with the app set to Chinese and it worked. So they do have a few bugs to work through but all in all, pretty descent.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:55 am

Deleted

Last edited by moondog; Jul 13, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by jetblue-jfk-roc
Just reporting back the English version of Didi worked great. Used it several times while in China. 1 driver texted, I used the english translation feature, 1 driver, texted, i texted back in Chinese, and 1 driver called my US cellphone to confirm my location (we were in-front of the hotel) but hey whatever. The rides were all fine, great value. Only issue I had was for some reason for the last ride, it would not run the payment through with the app in English. I was able to bum my way through with my Chinese with the app set to Chinese and it worked. So they do have a few bugs to work through but all in all, pretty descent.
If you can read Chinese, switching your language to Chinese will avail you of more options.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
My only issue with Didi is my apparent inability to get receipts. I had to screenshot all of my trips for receipt purpose.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:20 am

I loaded the English Didi Android app on my USA phone and registered a credit card successfully in anticipation of a trip to Shanghai in a month or so. It appears that I can order a car from a location in China. So far, it appears to be working as expected. When I arrive at PVG, it was my intent to buy a pre-paid SIM. When I remove my US SIM and install my China SIM, my phone number will change, of course. Do I need to repeat the setup with the new phone number? Or do I need to use my USA SIM so I can receive calls & text messages at my USA phone number?

Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
My only issue with Didi is my apparent inability to get receipts. I had to screenshot all of my trips for receipt purpose.
They send official fapiaos via email if you ask.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jc719
I loaded the English Didi Android app on my USA phone and registered a credit card successfully in anticipation of a trip to Shanghai in a month or so. It appears that I can order a car from a location in China. So far, it appears to be working as expected. When I arrive at PVG, it was my intent to buy a pre-paid SIM. When I remove my US SIM and install my China SIM, my phone number will change, of course. Do I need to repeat the setup with the new phone number? Or do I need to use my USA SIM so I can receive calls & text messages at my USA phone number?

Thanks.
You can update your profile with you Shanghai number. This is useful because it saves both you and your drivers money.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:03 pm

FYI, meituan is a little more expensive than Didi, but I have found it useful during busy times. After the soccer games, Didi requires an hour wait, while meituan is around 5 minutes. I haven't tried dianping yet.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by moondog
FYI, meituan is a little more expensive than Didi, but I have found it useful during busy times. After the soccer games, Didi requires an hour wait, while meituan is around 5 minutes. I haven't tried dianping yet.
Good to know. I use meituan for some things, but there's very little english support for us non-speakers. I usually need local assistance when using meituan, more so than DiDi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.