FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Using Didi for first time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1860895-using-didi-first-time.html)

johnathome Aug 14, 2017 6:56 am

Using Didi for first time

Traveling to PVG this weekend. Loaded the didi english app and was planning to use upon my arrival to get to my hotel and then around SH.

Is there a special area to call for Didi in the airport? Is there a ride-sharing location? I use Uber in the States so much now that I rarely take a taxi.

Thanks,

JPDM Aug 14, 2017 8:42 am

Depends on how good is your Chinese.
Nothing wrong with taxis.

anacapamalibu Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm

AFAIK there is no designated area for didi drivers parking on airport property. You would have to contact them and give them instructions so they can swoop in. Maybe go to the hotel in the middle of the terminals, DaZhong hotel, and wait there or ask the desk clerk for assistance with this.

uanj Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu (Post 28690624)
AFAIK there is no designated area for didi drivers parking on airport property. You would have to contact them and give them instructions so they can swoop in. Maybe go to the hotel in the middle of the terminals, DaZhong hotel, and wait there or ask the desk clerk for assistance with this.

Then why not just take a taxi? I cannot imagine for a first time user of didi this would normally be any faster than taking a regular taxi.

cxfan1960 Aug 15, 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu (Post 28690624)

I think it may just be much more straightforward taking a taxi.

I also feel that DaZhong Hotel should be a better place for DiDi pickup.

anacapamalibu Aug 15, 2017 11:32 am

2 Attachment(s)
You could take free 5 minute shuttle to Ramada and use that location for pickup. You can try typing in your destination on the english app, if you can't find it on list you could ask desk clerk for help.

anacapamalibu Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 28693464)
I think it may just be much more straightforward taking a taxi.

I also feel that DaZhong Hotel should be a better place for DiDi pickup.

Taxi would be easier but then again going to China you must have some spirit of adventure to begin with.:D

Couldn't find DaZhong Pudong Airport on Didi english app listings.

anacapamalibu Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am

1 Attachment(s)
This is a good destination to get the party started in Shanghai.;)

cxfan1960 Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu (Post 28693630)
Taxi would be easier but then again going to China you must have some spirit of adventure to begin with.:D

Couldn't find DaZhong Pudong Airport on Didi english app listings.

I am not familiar with the English App. Can they show current location? Otherwise hotel staff may be able to help.

anacapamalibu Aug 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 28694580)
I am not familiar with the English App. Can they show current location? Otherwise hotel staff may be able to help.

The default for current location is gps.. or you can type in english location or destination but its limited to a fairly small number of places. Which makes it pretty limited. ie: Tried "Disneyland" comes up nothing...have to type in "Disney". Plus when you type in "Starbucks". It limits the total results to a lot smaller number than the total in shanghai, like 10. Maybe accepts pinyin, didn't go that far into it.

johnathome Aug 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by uanj (Post 28693272)
Then why not just take a taxi? I cannot imagine for a first time user of didi this would normally be any faster than taking a regular taxi.

I guess I had assumed the queue for the taxis would be very long. After a 14 hour flight, I just want to get to my hotel. I had asked if there was a special location as some airports in the US have special areas for non-taxi pickup areas. They are just as convenient and generally I find Uber cheaper than car service or taxis.

ftrichard Aug 21, 2017 4:07 am

The Didi driver will want to call you. They do this reliably. This presents you with two problems: (1) Roaming assuming you don't have a Chinese SIM and (2) Language assuming you don't speak Chinese.

The app does translate for you from English to Chinese and has some stock phrases (I am at the GPS location) but they will still try to call you and you'll have the above two problems. I live here and always have a Chinese speaker nearby when I use Didi. Last night at Shenzhen Airport there's a specific place for e-share cars (ie Didi) and sure enough the driver called even though I messaged him. I always look for teenagers in this situation: they tend to speak English and understand the conversation I need them to have.

I'd get a taxi if I were you.

JPDM Aug 21, 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard (Post 28716001)
The Didi driver will want to call you. They do this reliably. This presents you with two problems: (1) Roaming assuming you don't have a Chinese SIM and (2) Language assuming you don't speak Chinese.

The app does translate for you from English to Chinese and has some stock phrases (I am at the GPS location) but they will still try to call you and you'll have the above two problems.

Drivers will not call an international number.

ftrichard Aug 21, 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by JPDM (Post 28716366)
Drivers will not call an international number.

Yes. Exactly. They won't. This raises the risk that the pick-up won't take place given that they love to phone first and double, triple, check that you are where you say you are.

I love Didi here and I have a China number and place myself near someone young and friendly looking for the inevitable moment that the phone rings.

Arriving at an airport, as a first time Didi user, I would get a taxi rather than try to work things out Chinese-style. IMHO it's doomed to misunderstanding and failure.

abraxis Aug 23, 2017 4:23 pm

An English Didi app? Is it fully functional compared to the Chinese app?

Question about payment: It says that international credit cards only work with expensive rides. So if you have a China issued debit card, will they take that? Or can you pay cash with Didi instead?