Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Would PVG-TPE-HKG go through immigration in TPE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

I know the China/Taiwan relationship is complicated... What I don't know is how that would impact a connection in Taiwan, especially since I'm connecting back to China!

Anybody have experience with this? Will I have enough time? What's the customs/immigration procedures?

My flights in questions are on EVA Air:
BR711 PVG-TPE (13:15-15:10)
BR871 TPE-HKG (16:35-18:25)

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eDanK
I know the China/Taiwan relationship is complicated... What I don't know is how that would impact a connection in Taiwan, especially since I'm connecting back to China!

Anybody have experience with this? Will I have enough time? What's the customs/immigration procedures?

Thanks!
You would do exit immigration in Shanghai and entry immigration in HK, but you should be advised that there are ~20 nonstop flights between Shanghai and HK.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
you should be advised that there are ~20 nonstop flights between Shanghai and HK.
Unfortunately this is part of a RTW on Star Alliance, and doesn't look like any of their partners do the direct route...

Thanks for the immigration answer!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Thanks!
Your question at the top asks if you go through Immigration in TPE. The answer is no, just follow the signs for international transit. As you are leaving China (or the parts under the jurisdiction of China Immigration) you will go through Immigration and exit China as moondog pointed out.

I have done exactly the same before, PVG-TPE-HKG on BR with no problem. However, once when the first flight was on CA, also part of a Star Alliance ticket, I was stopped by Air China at check-in. They pulled up some arcane law where travelers outbound from China cannot transit in TPE to a destination beyond Taiwan. Ultimately they let me board saying it was not my fault the ticket was issued. United on longer allows this routing but most RTWs are issued by LH who still do this. I doubt you will have a problem departing on BR.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanj
I have done exactly the same before, PVG-TPE-HKG on BR with no problem. However, once when the first flight was on CA, also part of a Star Alliance ticket, I was stopped by Air China at check-in. They pulled up some arcane law where travelers outbound from China cannot transit in TPE to a destination beyond Taiwan. Ultimately they let me board saying it was not my fault the ticket was issued. United on longer allows this routing but most RTWs are issued by LH who still do this. I doubt you will have a problem departing on BR.
Wow, that is a bit disconcerting!! That routing is the only reasonable PVG-HKG route that alliance is giving us! I'll have to ask when booking if there is any potential for an issue...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Your question at the top asks if you go through Immigration in TPE. The answer is no, just follow the signs for international transit. As you are leaving China (or the parts under the jurisdiction of China Immigration) you will go through Immigration and exit China as moondog pointed out.

That law applies only to Chinese nationals, and is/was in the process of being revised. Many non-Chinese transit via Taiwan on a regular basis.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Wow, that is a bit disconcerting!! That routing is the only reasonable PVG-HKG route that alliance is giving us! I'll have to ask when booking if there is any potential for an issue...
You will be fine. I provided this more as an anecdote and so you can see I have experience with the same exact routing.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
That law applies only to Chinese nationals, and is/was in the process of being revised. Many non-Chinese transit via Taiwan on a regular basis.
This is one of the weirdest things. Mainland Chinese need an exit permit to Taiwan and an entry permit from Taiwan to visit Taiwan. However, that permit does not allow them to go elsewhere. When a passenger presents the BP and the permit to immigration, they have no idea that passenger is traveling beyond Taiwan until he/she returns. The passenger may not necessarily return via Taiwan. So he/she may exit on one travel document and return on another. I don't know how that works. Now I understand - they are not supposed to go to a third place.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:42 pm

I asm surprised that there aren't tons of direct flights to HK with Star Alliance Partners like Air China among others.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
I asm surprised that there aren't tons of direct flights to HK with Star Alliance Partners like Air China among others.
CA pretty much ceded PVG/SHA-HKG to MU, while MU steers clear of PEK-HKG.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: various
Air Macau flies both SHA-MFM and PVG-MFM and these have Air China codeshare assignments. Not sure if that would qualify for Star Alliance ticketing but if possible, it seems easier to do that then get from Shanghai to HKG via TPE.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by jiejie
Air Macau flies both SHA-MFM and PVG-MFM and these have Air China codeshare assignments. Not sure if that would qualify for Star Alliance ticketing but if possible, it seems easier to do that then get from Shanghai to HKG via TPE.
I don't think Air Macau is, but Shenzhen Airlines is. If open jaw is OK, OP can fly to SZX and cross on land to Hong Kong.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Just make sure to arrive at SZX during the day. Direct buses to Hong Kong don't run late at night and I'm not sure how well taxis will work late at night.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Just make sure to arrive at SZX during the day. Direct buses to Hong Kong don't run late at night and I'm not sure how well taxis will work late at night.
I happen to like Shenzhen, so I often fly there on the way to or from Hong Kong. However, if my goal was to go straight to HK, I *might* consider the Taiwan connection in favor of the Shenzhen Shuffle.

@eDanK: Does your RTW permit --for lack of a better word-- unconnected dots? If so, I suggest you look into buying a separate ticket SHA-HKG, which can be as little as $50 (Spring) or around $100 on a more comfortable airline.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:25 am
Original Poster

@eDanK: Does your RTW permit --for lack of a better word-- unconnected dots? If so, I suggest you look into buying a separate ticket SHA-HKG, which can be as little as $50 (Spring) or around $100 on a more comfortable airline.
That's a good idea that we'll look into. The RTW does allow it, and we were already planning on using it elsewhere. Unfortunately, it's looking like mileage availability on the flights we need is mighty poor, and at most half of our travel dates have any flights they'll let us book... :-( Disappointing, considering this is still 11 months out... May just have to suck it up and not use miles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.