Tourist Sim Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tourist Sim Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream
Those seem like much more reasonable prices.

Are they available in Beijing airport and do you have a link for the offer?

Thanks
China Mobile has a counter at the Beijing airport in terminal 3 in the luggage carrousel area. No idea about other terminals.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JPDM
China Mobile has a counter at the Beijing airport in terminal 3 in the luggage carrousel area. No idea about other terminals.
I used the China Mobile store in the arrivals area (all the way at the end on the right) at PEK T2 on my last trip a couple months ago. They will register your passport and have reasonable options for prepaid data (some markup compared to in-town but much less hassle).

As as far as I could determine, you must return the SIM to the store (or another counter?) when departing, or it will continue charging a monthly fee, which you will have to pay if you ever wish to register another SIM with China Mobile.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by transparent

As as far as I could determine, you must return the SIM to the store (or another counter?) when departing, or it will continue charging a monthly fee, which you will have to pay if you ever wish to register another SIM with China Mobile.
How did you "determine" this? They told you? As far as I know, this is an urban legend.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
How did you "determine" this? They told you? As far as I know, this is an urban legend.
Yes, based on a discussion with the manager of that shop (in Chinese).

Whether its it’s an urban legend or not, the manager was very adamant about it and they actually spent a fair bit of time clicking around with my documents when I returned the SIM (as I had the time to return and I didn’t care to take chances).

They also take your passport information including a scan, so I’m sure it’s possible for them to be tracking any monthly fees they want to charge.

Are there confirmed reports of not returning and being able to get a new SIM on the next trip without paying back fees?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:01 pm

I remember a few years back only China Unicom supported 3G on iPhones, is this still the case or does China Mobile offer 3G/4G for iPhones now?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:59 am

Check Flexiroam's local data plan in China. They offer 7 days 200mb for only $7.00. If you are not that data hungry just the usual web browsing, maps usage and research it's a good deal. You need to buy a starter pack which cost around $29 dollars which includes 1gb data valid for 3 months which i think is enough for traveling in China. Pretty cheap compared to local data plans in China.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:25 pm

There are plenty of stalls along Apliu Street selling 5-day China data SIM cards for $50-60 HKD. Just tell them data SIM and how many days you need and the seller will show you the option and price. Prices are typically marked on the pile of cards already. I recall it's just pop in and it activates on its own. No registration of ID whatsoever and the card breaks through the Chinese firewall as they are HK SIMs. Happy Telecom cards are a bit more complicated so stay away from those.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:07 pm

As of July 1, China Mobile has eliminated the distinction between local and national data plans. All data on a plan can now be used throughout Mainland China. This makes buying data easier, since you no longer have to check the fine print to make sure you're buying the right kind of data.

I don't know about the other operators, but they usually act in lockstep.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Anyone know if you can buy a sim that will work in China inside the transit part of HKG airport?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by hanraehoon
Check Flexiroam's local data plan in China. They offer 7 days 200mb for only $7.00. If you are not that data hungry just the usual web browsing, maps usage and research it's a good deal. You need to buy a starter pack which cost around $29 dollars which includes 1gb data valid for 3 months which i think is enough for traveling in China. Pretty cheap compared to local data plans in China.
I don't find this "pretty cheap compared to local data plans" at all. But your claim is not surprising considering that all your post are about (self-promotion) this company.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't find this "pretty cheap compared to local data plans" at all. But your claim is not surprising considering that all your post are about (self-promotion) this company.
​​​​​​I'm not sure how I missed the post you quoted. Forget about disagreeing with "pretty cheap"; "obnoxiously expensive" cuts to the chase.

​​​
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
This seems the best thread for my question. How easy is it to get a "pay as you go" SIM for China? My plan is to buy a SIM and then use it on my intermittent visits to the country, maybe 3 per year. I know that I will now have to register the SIM using my passport, but is it possible to load it with, say, RMB 100, and then use it anytime. I would not want a data plan or a limited-time SIM.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by hanraehoon
I'd rather get one of those Thai sim cards... SIM2FLY the best-value roaming SIM for everyone! 4 GB for 299 THB valid 8 days or 15 days for 799 THB.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Marschel
I'd rather get one of those Thai sim cards... SIM2FLY the best-value roaming SIM for everyone! 4 GB for 299 THB valid 8 days or 15 days for 799 THB.
That is pretty cheap, and I'm guessing no VPN is required, but Unicom is probably a better bet for semi-frequent visitors because you can actually make/receive calls without incurring roaming charges (e.g. people will be reluctant to call you on a Thailand number).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Anyone know if you can buy a sim that will work in China inside the transit part of HKG airport?
anyone? I am flying today and need to know if I need to enter HK and buy one at departures area or if it can be done in transit area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.