Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Time to Book Intra-China Airfare?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Best Time to Book Intra-China Airfare?

Will be going to China in September and will need to book a few legs of domestic flights. When should I book these flights? 4 months out? 1 month? Prices seem very high now, but I know we're still too far out.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eclarkebu
Will be going to China in September and will need to book a few legs of domestic flights. When should I book these flights? 4 months out? 1 month? Prices seem very high now, but I know we're still too far out.

Thanks for the help.
~45 days out.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:49 pm

It depends, there is no magic formula. You can't buy more than 90 days ahead. There are sometimes early bird specials and you often have very good last minute deals. It depends on many factors like how many flights are on that route.
The best is to regularly check prices for various date to have an idea of what is a good deal and just buy when you see a price that you like.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
It depends, there is no magic formula. You can't buy more than 90 days ahead.
You can pay full fare way in advance, if that floats your boat. 45 days used to be the magic number for discounts of all varieties. Recently, there's been some deviation from this in certain cases, but there's little point in trying to book more than 45 days out.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: various
What domestic routes? Discount propensity and seat availability varies, best timing could be anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks out. But not before early July since that's when the complete schedule and discounting are loaded in the system for Quarter 3.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Most likely our routing will be as follows:

PEK-XIY
XIY-KWL
KWL-PVG

Appeciate your advice.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:42 pm

Thank you!

PEK-XIY
XIY-KWL
KWL-PVG

Appeciate your advice.
I would start looking for those about a month out. Fares might drop a bit between 30 and 14 days out before they start climbing again.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:11 pm

You sometimes have great deals at the last minute. But these are usually for departures at very inconvenient times (like very very early or very very late) while the "good" flights are sold out.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:51 pm

Thank you!

PEK-XIY
XIY-KWL
KWL-PVG

Appeciate your advice.
September is a popular month for foreign travel groups to China and XIY-KWL is one of the most common segments for the typical China tour itineraries. Since this route has more limited capacity, I'd get it sewn up by mid-July and not try to time the bottom of the discount. The other two segments can wait until about 4 weeks out. PEK-XIY is a route that you should consider going by train, particularly high speed/bullet train. Tickets on China's rail system can be booked up to 60 days in advance through a reputable agent (small service fee).
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:00 pm

I'm considering a similar routing.
XXX-PEK (XXX being HKG or the UK)
PEK-XIY
XIY-KWL
KWL-HKG

But I am looking at going in the last half of August. I know this is peak tourist season in China, so would it be best to book tickets as soon as possible?
Looking around for prices the cheapest I've found is for around 4700 Yuan per person if starting in HKG.
What about the best time to book hotels? I'd be looking on the cheaper end rather than anything expensive.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDream
I'm considering a similar routing.
XXX-PEK (XXX being HKG or the UK)
PEK-XIY
XIY-KWL
KWL-HKG

But I am looking at going in the last half of August. I know this is peak tourist season in China, so would it be best to book tickets as soon as possible?
Looking around for prices the cheapest I've found is for around 4700 Yuan per person if starting in HKG.
What about the best time to book hotels? I'd be looking on the cheaper end rather than anything expensive.
I would lock kwl-hkg in with BA points as soon as your dates are set because this is a sweet redemption. For the other flights, just wait until the discounted fares are loaded. Hotels aren't much of an issue.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I would lock kwl-hkg in with BA points as soon as your dates are set because this is a sweet redemption. For the other flights, just wait until the discounted fares are loaded. Hotels aren't much of an issue.
Ok, thanks for the speedy reply!

I've had a look on the BA Avios website and it doesn't recognize KWL airport, so I guess I have to phone them?

How many avios does the flight cost one-way?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDream
Ok, thanks for the speedy reply!

I've had a look on the BA Avios website and it doesn't recognize KWL airport, so I guess I have to phone them?

How many avios does the flight cost one-way?
You might need to trick the system a bit to get KWL to show up.

The cost is only 4500 points.

Focus on nabbing this, even if you need to adjust your schedule, because it is one of the main reasons you're looking at the high fare quote.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:47 am

Cathay haven't released any discount seats (nothing available past early July), so there's no award availability yet.
However, I've realised than Guilin is only 3.5 hours from Shenzhen North, so I might take the train.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:07 am

High speed train would probably be my choice in August, when the chance of flight delays due to severe weather could affect most of the Pearl Delta/HK region. It's more fiddly due to the Shenzhen North - border crossing to HK process, though if you have the cash and there are 2+ of you traveling, arranging a dual plated car pickup at Shenzhen North to take you to the border crossing then to your HK hotel, might be a decent investment in convenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.