Wiki Posts
Search

12 hours in PEK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, OWS
12 hours in PEK

I took advantage of the holiday offers from CA so I'll be flying from FRA to AKL via PEK in C soon. My only problem will be the stopover in PEK - I'll be arriving around 11:30am and departing shortly after midnight - which is a bit too long to spend in the lounge. Since it's been around 10 years since I last was in Beijing I was wondering about the current situation.
How much time do I need to plan for each step like immigration,transfer to and back from the city and the security check (as I said I'll be in C and am a *G)? Any thing you recommend I see? The last time I did the forbidden city, the wall and the hutongs...
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by frogster
I took advantage of the holiday offers from CA so I'll be flying from FRA to AKL via PEK in C soon. My only problem will be the stopover in PEK - I'll be arriving around 11:30am and departing shortly after midnight - which is a bit too long to spend in the lounge. Since it's been around 10 years since I last was in Beijing I was wondering about the current situation.
How much time do I need to plan for each step like immigration,transfer to and back from the city and the security check (as I said I'll be in C and am a *G)? Any thing you recommend I see? The last time I did the forbidden city, the wall and the hutongs...

All the Chinese airlines offers free hotel if you transit over night. I'm not sure if your case applies here, just call CA and find out.

It will take around 45 minutes from touch down to exiting the terminal. If hotel is not offered, I would leave my luggage at airport and head into town, you've got a good 8 hours in the city at least.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My advice is contingent upon: day of week, weather, your interests, and your energy level, but Summer Palace plus Wudaokou, and maybe 798 (with some interesting food options mixed in) could be okay.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
This discussion probably belongs to the China forum.

It really depends on the situation on that day. There are days I suggest you don't bother going into the City, but 798 (as suggested by moondog) should be fine.

When you were in PEK last time, T3 shouldn't be opened yet (it was opened in early 2008 before the Beijing Olympics). So the entire layout is different now. I suppose you will be using T3.

As far as time needed for immigration entering China, it can also be very short or very long. I encountered once when Chinese couldn't even get to the counters for Chinese citizens because foreigners jammed up the entire area (there are body temperature sensor booths that restricted the flow and foreigners were jammed back all the way and we couldn't get through until the airport staff asked foreigners to spare some space out so we could get to the counters for Chinese). It may take more than an hour for foreigners to get pass immigration in such a situation.

On the return to the airport, even if you don't plan on using a lounge, you should return to the airport AT LEAST an hour ahead of time (note: IIRC, PEK will stop checking in passengers 60 minutes prior to departure, and I believe there is a reason .) Sometimes it may make more than 30 minutes to go through security alone in addition to immigration. Occasionally they open up a lane for someone in a rush, but there may still be a line.

C and *G only help at check-in. I flew business a few times but I didn't notice special lanes for C passengers. ABTC card may help, but I cannot use my US-issued ABTC card when entering China.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
The lounges and the rest of the airport at PEK definitely do not justify hanging around for 12 hours. Get out on the subway and see some sights. The subway system has expanded massively in the last decade, so getting to most places in Beijing is pretty easy. Sadly however, the days of the ¥2 flat fare are long gone. After excluding the time for handling immigration/check in/subway to and from the city, you should have a solid 8 hours on your hands.

While the immigration queues can be bad at times at PEK, assuming you hold one of the 51 permissible passports, you would qualify for the 72 hour visa free transit (valid only within the Beijing area), which I'm pretty sure has its own, much shorter queue, to the left of the main queue if I remember correctly. If luggage is already checked through and AKL boarding pass already issued, then it should make things reasonably smooth. Besides at the check in counters, there is no express services for business/first passengers at PEK for immigration or security. That said, for flights leaving at midnight, PEK tends to be pretty quiet so it shouldn't be too bad.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by seanpodge
That said, for flights leaving at midnight, PEK tends to be pretty quiet so it shouldn't be too bad.
I took a 3am PEK-HKG flight a month ago. There was almost no line at PEK immigration. The security line was short, but it moved very slow. It still took me about 20 minutes to get through.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendations. I'be requested that this topic be moved to the China forum.

My last unlimited entry visa has just run out (I've mostly been to Guangzhou and Shanghai - but that seems to be mostly over for now), getting a new one would be no problem. But why go to the trouble if the line for the 24hour visa is usually shorter :-)

Currently I'm planning on storing most of my carry on luggage (the diving gear) landside - except for valuables of course - and head into town with the subway. Eat something nice and do some sightseeing. 2.5- 3 hours before departure head back out to the airport. Assuming no delays that would mean 9-10 hours in town. Any specific locations you would recommend for food? I'm traveling alone so a full duck would be to much although I loved it the last time I had it ��
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Resurrecting my old post since the trip is coming up on Friday.
I’ll be arriving Saturday from FRA at 11:25 am local and departing at 01:05am to AKL (13.5 hours) – on the way back I’ll have a layover of nearly 10 hours beginning at 4 am (departure 2pm).

Du to time of arrival and departure it probably won’t make much sense to head into town on the trip back. How bad is the CA lounge compared to the one in PVG? Any recommendations on where to stop for food or a hotel to freshen up, possibly a massage?

On the way to AKL I’d like to get into town. Tiananmen, Forbidden City, temple of heaven tombs and wall I’ve done – any recommendations for things to do in light of the current events and forecast for this weekend? How best to get there?

My luggage will (if possible) be checked through but I’ll be carrying some dive gear as carry on. Is there some luggage storage that’s safe?
Thank you!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: various
Left Luggage at the Airport should be safe for this. Terminal 3 front side has staffed Left Luggage counters but also electronic lockers (don't know sizes though).

Weather is supposed to be good for outdoor pursuits, warm and dry. Sounds like the main Biggie Sight you haven't seen is the Summer Palace, though it's a fair haul to the other side of the city and you probably won't be getting out of the airport until at least 12:30. But SP is open until 18:00. Then the early evening in the Houhai/Shichahai area for exploration, dinner, drinks.

Getting there from airport: 1) taxi (RMB 130-ish) 2) Airport Express to Sanyuanqiao, change to subway Line 10 to Haidian Huangzhang, change to subway Line 4 to Xiyuan for SP Main Gate. (RMB 25 + 5) 3) Airport shuttle bus #5 to Zhongguancun, change to subway Line 4 to Xiyuan. (RMB 24 + 3).

After SP: use north exit of SP so you don't backtrack in the complex, Beigongmen station on subway Line 4 to Xinjiekou station then foot exploration of Houhai area, Drum Tower, etc. After: 1) taxi to airport or 2) taxi to Dongzhimen Transport Hub + Airport Express (AE last train to Airport at 22:30) or 3) Subway to Dongzhimen + AE.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Left Luggage at the Airport should be safe for this. Terminal 3 front side has staffed Left Luggage counters but also electronic lockers (don't know sizes though).

Weather is supposed to be good for outdoor pursuits, warm and dry. Sounds like the main Biggie Sight you haven't seen is the Summer Palace, though it's a fair haul to the other side of the city and you probably won't be getting out of the airport until at least 12:30. But SP is open until 18:00. Then the early evening in the Houhai/Shichahai area for exploration, dinner, drinks.

Getting there from airport: 1) taxi (RMB 130-ish) 2) Airport Express to Sanyuanqiao, change to subway Line 10 to Haidian Huangzhang, change to subway Line 4 to Xiyuan for SP Main Gate. (RMB 25 + 5) 3) Airport shuttle bus #5 to Zhongguancun, change to subway Line 4 to Xiyuan. (RMB 24 + 3).

After SP: use north exit of SP so you don't backtrack in the complex, Beigongmen station on subway Line 4 to Xinjiekou station then foot exploration of Houhai area, Drum Tower, etc. After: 1) taxi to airport or 2) taxi to Dongzhimen Transport Hub + Airport Express (AE last train to Airport at 22:30) or 3) Subway to Dongzhimen + AE.
Thank you jiejie - I'll definitely be doing the SP and Houhai
Are the taxi drivers familiar enough with English that I can tell them to take me to the SP and back to the Airport or do I need to take along the name in simplified Chinese (like I'd do with a hotel)?
Any recommendations for dinner?

On the way back my current thinking is to either do a hotel and/or 798. Any recommendations for a hotel and food there? What are the must-sees in 798?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:44 am

No, taxi drivers will speak no English. have your destinations in writing in Chinese.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:08 am

On the way back my current thinking is to either do a hotel and/or 798. Any recommendations for a hotel and food there? What are the must-sees in 798?
You could also slot in a brief Sanlitun visit.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: various
798 is a nonstarter--it would be evening by time you got over there and nothing will be happening. Dinner options there are so-so. If you don't want to have dinner and/or spend the evening in Houhai area, then I'd second @moondog's suggestion for a hop over to Sanlitun. Plenty of dinner options there and a "look around" at modern upscale Beijing life is an interesting contrast.

Not sure why you'd need a hotel room. If you feel the need for a shower/clean-up you've got a couple of options: 1) A massage (legit!) then shower at an upscale establishment like Dragonfly, Oriental Taipan, or Bodhi. 2) The airport "Time-Rate Lounges" on the public area of each terminal, have shower facilities.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I was a bit unclear in formulating my plans.
My planning for the trip back from Auckland includes hotel and (maybe) 798 (I'll be arriving at 4 am and leaving at 2 pm)

On the trip to Auckland (14 hours) I'm planning on SP and Houhai based on your writing. Which restaurants would you recommend?
Regarding massages: I've found that they help me get rid of jetlag much quicker (and I'm not looking for a "happy ending"!). Which of those SPAs would be close to the route and accepts walk-ins?

If it was purely for the shower I'd probably ignore the mould Ive read about and use the shower in the CA lounge at the airport (flying in C, *G so access should be no problem)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:57 pm

Which of those SPAs would be close to the route and accepts walk-ins?
It's pretty hard to go wrong at the massage thing. The chained places tend to have amenities like showers and fruit juice, while your standard shops with 足 signs out front probably don't (but, are cheaper).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.