Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no duty free in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This only applies to US carrier flights. I fly MU frequently and have no problems.
I've experienced liquid checks on CX, JL, NH, and OZ as well. I've never flown a PRC airline to the US, so I can't comment there.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by JPDM
You are missing the point. This is US rule.
And an Australian rule. Unless you are at an airport that can deliver duty free at the gate (SIN and now BKK), any liquids in excess of 100ml even in a tamper proof bag will be confiscated at a gate check.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
US rule doesn't apply for PEK-HKG flights. So technically they can still sell alcohol and had a secondary check like HKG for US flights or when boarding US carriers. To adhere to US rules, they should not even sell any bottled liquid over a certain size after security. I doubt that is just because of US rule.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
US rule doesn't apply for PEK-HKG flights. So technically they can still sell alcohol and had a secondary check like HKG for US flights or when boarding US carriers. To adhere to US rules, they should not even sell any bottled liquid over a certain size after security. I doubt that is just because of US rule.
The restrictions only apply to US (and, apparently Australia) bound flights. It's cool to bring liquids to most other countries.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:28 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by appleguru
To be clear, this only applies to carry on luggage, right? Liquids in checked bags are OK (as long as they're not flammable/otherwise not allowed on a plane)?
Alcohol on Civilian Aircraft in China

China Northern Airlines Flight 6136
started the policy

Technically 100 proof or 50% alcohol liquids are considered "flammable".

According to the Specifications for Air Transport of Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers or Crew, passengers are not allowed to taken alcoholic beverage in their carry-on luggage. Alcoholic beverage can only be consigned in checked luggage, but the quantity shall meet the following requirements:
1. The quantity of the beverage whose alcohol content is lower than 24% is not restricted;
2. Each passenger is allowed to take up to 5L alcoholic beverage and the alcohol content should be lower than 70%.
3. The beverage that has alcohol content higher than 70% is prohibited.*

* a fully aged baijiu clocks in at about 70 percent alcohol.....

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Nov 12, 2016 at 9:46 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:02 am

That's not the issue at hand, anacapa; anything you can buy airside is fair game to bring on the plane...unless your particular flight has a liquids ban in place.

Eta: I just realized that this thread is now 21 posts in, and nobody has questioned the wisdom of buying booze from Sunrise yet.

Last edited by moondog; Nov 13, 2016 at 12:36 am
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by moondog

Eta: I just realized that this thread is now 21 posts in, and nobody has questioned the wisdom of buying booze from Sunrise yet.
Inbound I've always found it good quality and cheap. Is there something I'm supposed to know?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:02 am
qpr

The restrictions only apply to US (and, apparently Australia) bound flights. It's cool to bring liquids to most other countries.
It´s fine to bring liquids to the EU as long as you´re not in transit in the EU.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:56 pm

Nope. I asked about this. Seems to be a TSA regulation that since many US flights from China connect to different US destinations, and you are not supposed to repack (i.e., put anything into your checked luggage in the Luggage Claim area), they simply ban all liquids purchased at the airport from getting into the cabin.

To compound matters, once I arrived in DTW from PEK and attempted to purchase some liquor at the Duty Free. They would not sell it to me, even though I had proof I had just arrived from overseas.

I had no problem purchasing in DTW for a flight to PEK, and no problem with Chinese customs.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:41 pm

Don't know if alcohol is included in the term" liquids" and
what the rules are ...arriving w/o a connecting flight.

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:

The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Inbound I've always found it good quality and cheap. Is there something I'm supposed to know?
Never seen any reports Sunrise is/was selling counterfeit liquor, but have had
Chinese tell me don't buy liquor on arrival at PEK as its fake. They want US
bought.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Don't know if alcohol is included in the term" liquids" and
what the rules are ...arriving w/o a connecting flight.

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:

The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule
Preempting THIS is why it makes logical sense for airlines to spend $500/flight (when secondary screening resources are available) in order to eliminate the liquid variable.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
And an Australian rule. Unless you are at an airport that can deliver duty free at the gate (SIN and now BKK), any liquids in excess of 100ml even in a tamper proof bag will be confiscated at a gate check.
This is not true for many countries. I've bought Duty Free alcohol all over the world when US bound and walked out of the shop with it. Yes, there have been some where it was delivered to the plane, but that was the minority of cases for me.

I was also very surprised to be refused purchase in PEK and was told that is was limited to United (or maybe all US carriers, the language barrier was large) and that if I was on Air China it would be fine. They even had a supply of the tamper-proof bags behind the counter.

I think we're back to the "why" part of the question, is there some actual China regulation about this? I know it isn't an issue with US or airline regulations, since it works successfully when arriving from all over the world.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
This is not true for many countries. I've bought Duty Free alcohol all over the world when US bound and walked out of the shop with it. Yes, there have been some where it was delivered to the plane, but that was the minority of cases for me.

I was also very surprised to be refused purchase in PEK and was told that is was limited to United (or maybe all US carriers, the language barrier was large) and that if I was on Air China it would be fine. They even had a supply of the tamper-proof bags behind the counter.

I think we're back to the "why" part of the question, is there some actual China regulation about this? I know it isn't an issue with US or airline regulations, since it works successfully when arriving from all over the world.
It is not limited to United or other US based airlines, and is not applied to all flights. Lining up secondary security (necessary to close the loop) requires a bit of planning/coordination.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Several years ago, the US had a blanket ban on liquids on incoming flights. Many airports in Asia continue to enforce this policy, albeit sporadically.
One of the requirements was delivering the duty free goods to the boarding gates for pick up, and didn't seem to affect U.S. airlines only. Some airports, such as HKG didn't (and still don't) have this back in 2007/8. FWIW, it also resulted in duty free not being available on QF flights to Australia (presumably Australian rules) and CX flights that first flew to YVR before continuing on to JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.