Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PEK airport to hotel transportation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

PEK airport to hotel transportation

We'll arrive at PEK Terminal 3 at 10.05 am on Wednesday. Our hotel is the Holiday Inn Express near Temple of Heaven. What's the best way of getting from the airport to our hotel? How much would a taxi cost? Is this doable via subway? Looking at the map seems like there will be at least 2 transfers, and then an additional 15-20 minute walk from the station to the hotel.

Also separately is it better to bring foreign currency to exchange, or do ATM withdrawals?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer
We'll arrive at PEK Terminal 3 at 10.05 am on Wednesday. Our hotel is the Holiday Inn Express near Temple of Heaven. What's the best way of getting from the airport to our hotel? How much would a taxi cost? Is this doable via subway? Looking at the map seems like there will be at least 2 transfers, and then an additional 15-20 minute walk from the station to the hotel.

Also separately is it better to bring foreign currency to exchange, or do ATM withdrawals?
1. Taxi, for sure; should cost around 120
2. ATMs are the way to go on the money front
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Thanks. Same advice on transportation for the trip back to the airport I imagine? Noon departure on Monday...
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:59 am

Taxis are always "best".
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
After you exit customs there are several currency exchange booths and an Agricultural Bank of China ATM on your right.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by JPDM
Taxis are always "best".
I always stay at the Landmark Towers in Beijing due to family traditions and location, at least they are very easily reachable by the airport bus line 1 in or under 40 minutes.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by BogeyMan
After you exit customs there are several currency exchange booths and an Agricultural Bank of China ATM on your right.
They charge a y50 fee for their services unless you are moving big money.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
I always stay at the Landmark Towers in Beijing due to family traditions and location, at least they are very easily reachable by the airport bus line 1 in or under 40 minutes.
As you surely know, I'm a huge advocate of the #2 bus to/from PVG, but I don't share the same love for many other airport buses, including Beijing's. With the Landmark as a destination, you've hit upon a sweet spot of bus utility, but they constitute a time suck for 90% of people.

Let's take the 国贸 bus, for example:
-always uses 3rd Ring, even when traffic is atrocious (taxis use whatever ring roads you request)
-odds are that the bus stop is 500 meters away from your desired location, and you WILL need to walk those 500 meters
-most buses stop at both t3 and t2 (15 minutes apart)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
I agree but for a first timer in Beijing, it is rarely the best option.
Personally I used to do this all the time as my place was next to ring road 4 and the bus first stop was next to my compound.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

They charge a y50 fee for their services unless you are moving big money.
That sounds pretty steep. Are there any fee-free ATMs in the city. (Airports are a different story everywhere I suppose.)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

As you surely know, I'm a huge advocate of the #2 bus to/from PVG, but I don't share the same love for many other airport buses, including Beijing's. With the Landmark as a destination, you've hit upon a sweet spot of bus utility, but they constitute a time suck for 90% of people.

Let's take the 国贸 bus, for example:
-always uses 3rd Ring, even when traffic is atrocious (taxis use whatever ring roads you request)
-odds are that the bus stop is 500 meters away from your desired location, and you WILL need to walk those 500 meters
-most buses stop at both t3 and t2 (15 minutes apart)
In my case should I worry about requesting a particular ring road? I wouldn't even know how to ask that actually, short of pointing on a map. This will be my first time in Beijing. What would a typical route from PEK to Temple of Heaven look like?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:34 pm

That sounds pretty steep. Are there any fee-free ATMs in the city. (Airports are a different story everywhere I suppose.)
Chinese ATMs have no fees but your bank might.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:27 pm

In my case should I worry about requesting a particular ring road? I wouldn't even know how to ask that actually, short of pointing on a map. This will be my first time in Beijing. What would a typical route from PEK to Temple of Heaven look like?
Assuming no traffic at all, 2nd Ring would be the best. But, during heavy traffic times, the outer rings are usually better. Your driver SHOULD have a clue about this because he doesn't want to waste time anymore than you do.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
Chinese ATMs have no fees but your bank might.
Does this apply to the airport ATM as well? The 50 yuan fee quoted upthread refers to airport money changers then? I might have misunderstood. (My bank doesn't charge me any fees.)
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Assuming no traffic at all, 2nd Ring would be the best. But, during heavy traffic times, the outer rings are usually better. Your driver SHOULD have a clue about this because he doesn't want to waste time anymore than you do.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.