Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, Skyteam EP
SK to DragonAir / 2h50mins?

Arriving on SK from Copenhagen (usually always on time or earlier) at 11:50 and continue on DragonAir to HKG at 14:45.

is this ok? Has anything improved on PVG?

both should resident at T2?
we travel with no luggage.
arrive in C, continue in X
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bighc
Arriving on SK from Copenhagen (usually always on time or earlier) at 11:50 and continue on DragonAir to HKG at 14:45.

is this ok? Has anything improved on PVG?

both should resident at T2?
we travel with no luggage.
arrive in C, continue in X
That should be fine, and KA has lots of flights from PVG in the unlikely event you misconnect.
bighc likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently did a 1 hour 50 minute transfer on 2 separate tickets at PVG. LHR-PVG on BA and then PVG-HKG on CX. I had only carry-on and have the e-channel passport access so a bit easier than most transfers, but I made it to CX check in with 1:20 to spare. I had to leave the arrivals area and go to the departure hall to check in, there was no way to do it without going through the immigration and customs formalities. Anyhow, my point is if your flight is on time, it's definitely no issue although without e-channel or some other expedited access like APEC card, I wouldn't risk less than a 2:30 connection.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, there are two hotels in the building between the two terminals, and I believe they offer hourly and day rates.
So my incoming flight to PVG was delayed a couple hours. I went to the transfer without visa desk and the lady looked at my papers and said "You go there, connection too short!" I told her I was aware of the connection time, and had already booked an airport hotel. She then put the sticker in my passport and waved me through. Instead of going to a hotel I jumped on the Maglev/subway and got to the Aquarium right at 9am when it opened. Some of the exhibits were interesting (especially the soft shell turtles), and then I took a long walk along the water across from the Bund. Made my way over to Din Tai Fung in the WFC for some dumplings, and then took the subway to check out the Maglev museum. After that I took the Maglev back to the airport and made my way to the No. 36 lounge where, despite your advice, I took a shower. It was actually not gross at all and really felt refreshing after all the travel. Made myself a bowl at their noodle bar and then it was time to for my connecting flight.

On the way back I decided to stay inside the airport since my connection was shorter (6 hours) and I arrived at 4:45am. I highly recommend the recliner chairs on the second floor (next to the massage chairs). I passed out for about 2 hours there, took a shower and then used all of my MU food vouchers at one of the Chinese restaurants in the departures area.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to kill time during my layovers at PVG, both inside and outside the airport.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:39 am

Don't worry, you have enough time.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
I just did a single ticket CA-UA connection at PVG on Tuesday. Arrived from KIX at around 11am and there was a massive line at immigration. I only made the connection, because I told one of the officers standing by the queue about my short 2 hour connection and he let me cut the queue after I showed him my itinerary. That said, I still wouldn't encourage anyone to do short intl-intl transits at PVG, because many connections require you to enter the country and check in again.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:06 pm

BKK to PVG 2 hour connection

I am flying from BKK to PVG to LAX all on one ticket. Is the 2 hour connection time in PVG enough? I still haven't decided if I will be carrying on or checking my luggage. I will be flying Shanghai Airlines (i think this is a subsidiary of China Eastern) from BKK->PVG. I will be flying China Eastern from PVG->LAX. Do I need to go through customs or immigration? Thank you.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by aa2349
I am flying from BKK to PVG to LAX all on one ticket. Is the 2 hour connection time in PVG enough? I still haven't decided if I will be carrying on or checking my luggage. I will be flying Shanghai Airlines (i think this is a subsidiary of China Eastern) from BKK->PVG. I will be flying China Eastern from PVG->LAX. Do I need to go through customs or immigration? Thank you.
You won't have to go through customs, but will go through immigration. When you get off the plane you will go to a transfers section, get you passport/face scanned and get your carry-on luggage inspected. After that you go to your gate to your next flight.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
You won't have to go through customs, but will go through immigration. When you get off the plane you will go to a transfers section, get you passport/face scanned and get your carry-on luggage inspected. After that you go to your gate to your next flight.
Will the passport be stamped?

This transfer procedure only applies to a few select airlines, or has it been more broadly implemented recently? Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by kevino

This transfer procedure only applies to a few select airlines, or has it been more broadly implemented recently? Thanks!
MU and FM are effectively the same in this case.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by kevino

No stamps are given to transfers. If you are using China Eastern/Shanghai Airlines, they are in the same terminal so this procedure is for any airlines in the same terminal.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Thanks!

So this is new for PVG within the last year, right?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm planning a trip with a transfer in PVG and separate ticket to Japan: CPH-PVG then PVG-NRT. I will only bring a carry-on (no checked luggage).

Would I need to clear immigration? I would prefer to stay airside the entire time. I'm not sure if I will be able to get a boarding pass for the second leg before my first flight.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by vd0t
I'm planning a trip with a transfer in PVG and separate ticket to Japan: CPH-PVG then PVG-NRT. I will only bring a carry-on (no checked luggage).

Would I need to clear immigration? I would prefer to stay airside the entire time. I'm not sure if I will be able to get a boarding pass for the second leg before my first flight.
That depends on whether airline 1 and airline 2 have a transit arrangement.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
That depends on whether airline 1 and airline 2 have a transit arrangement.
How would I know that? Nothing has been booked yet so checking first. Each flight would be booked separately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.