Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing cell phone, internet, VPN questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Beijing cell phone, internet, VPN questions

Hi all, had a few questions about getting online in Beijing. I'll be visiting next month for 5-6 days.

Is it worth getting a prepaid SIM card for such a short period? If so, what's the best option? I'll have an unlocked iPhone 6.

For VPNs, I'm considering signing up for a service that has a free trial period, since I only need it for less than a week. Express VPN seems to come recommended. Will there be any issues using and canceling within the money back guarantee period? Or are there features that can only be accessed with fully paid service?

Also, will VPNs work with any wifi network? Specifically I'm wondering if there's free wifi networks in the city, do they typically block VPNs? How about hotel wifis?

My primary concern is being able to use Gmail and Google Maps. Social media like Facebook is a bonus but not must-have.

I understand the situation can change on a daily basis. If anybody has up to date information, would really appreciate it!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer
Hi all, had a few questions about getting online in Beijing. I'll be visiting next month for 5-6 days.

Is it worth getting a prepaid SIM card for such a short period? If so, what's the best option? I'll have an unlocked iPhone 6.
If you're 100% sure that your phone supports Mobile's 4g standard, you could go with Mobile. Otherwise, Unicom is the safe bet.

For VPNs, I'm considering signing up for a service that has a free trial period, since I only need it for less than a week. Express VPN seems to come recommended. Will there be any issues using and canceling within the money back guarantee period? Or are there features that can only be accessed with fully paid service?
I know a number of people who have cancelled Express free trials, and none reported any problems getting their money back.

Also, will VPNs work with any wifi network? Specifically I'm wondering if there's free wifi networks in the city, do they typically block VPNs? How about hotel wifis?
Beijing is the only place on my travel circuit where I experience any problems at all for the most part (e.g. the hotel I usually stay at has extremely annoying Wifi), but I always figure out a way. I shall also note that 4g works really well with VPNs, and is faster than many Wifi networks. You can buy data on Wechat for Y30/500 mb (not super cheap, but really convenient).
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
If you're 100% sure that your phone supports Mobile's 4g standard, you could go with Mobile. Otherwise, Unicom is the safe bet.
Thanks for the tip. I checked at this link: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
My model is A1586, which it says is supported by China Mobile, China Telecom, and China Unicom. Then it shows another model (A1589) which is just for China Mobile. Anyway I hope this means my phone will be supported.
I know a number of people who have cancelled Express free trials, and none reported any problems getting their money back.
Good to know, thanks.
Beijing is the only place on my travel circuit where I experience any problems at all for the most part (e.g. the hotel I usually stay at has extremely annoying Wifi), but I always figure out a way. I shall also note that 4g works really well with VPNs, and is faster than many Wifi networks. You can buy data on Wechat for Y30/500 mb (not super cheap, but really convenient).
Do you mind explaining how that works? Do I need to download the Wechat app and then buy data through there? And this is done after I arrive in China?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:08 am

My primary concern is being able to use Gmail and Google Maps. Social media like Facebook is a bonus but not must-have.
I found Google Maps in China to be less useful than in other countries. I prefer using Baidu Maps (as an App) when roaming around China. Just saying..
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:40 am

I have had no issue with Google maps in China. Very precise and the voice instructions are clear and timely when I am driving (in remote areas or downtown Shanghai).
VPNs work fine with wifi or with cell data. If you don't have a package, you may want to turn off cellular data when walking around with Google maps. It will still work as it is GPS based. Just turn on the data when you search for a place and get he itinerary.
Trying to figure out Wechat and payment on it is not worth the trouble for someone going for a few days.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
I have had no issue with Google maps in China. Very precise and the voice instructions are clear and timely when I am driving (in remote areas or downtown Shanghai).
VPNs work fine with wifi or with cell data. If you don't have a package, you may want to turn off cellular data when walking around with Google maps. It will still work as it is GPS based. Just turn on the data when you search for a place and get he itinerary.
Trying to figure out Wechat and payment on it is not worth the trouble for someone going for a few days.
-Google Maps are no worse than any other map service (including Baidu), because ALL rely upon the exact same GPS data
-while I've yet to encounter an ISP --anywhere-- that completely throttled Express, I have to admit that there are a handful in Beijing that have imparted a --less than stellar-- browsing experience upon me
-Wechat payment for SIM card loads is extremely easy (e.g. nearly all foreign cards work)
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:23 pm

Do you mind explaining how that works? Do I need to download the Wechat app and then buy data through there? And this is done after I arrive in China?
Yes, you should download wechat.

Once you are onboard, simply link your credit card, and you can top up data.

You definitely want a Chinese sim, even for the short visit. I used to advise against buying them at the airport, but since registration requirements have become a bit more rigid recently, the airport option is no longer such a bad idea.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes, you should download wechat.

Once you are onboard, simply link your credit card, and you can top up data.

You definitely want a Chinese sim, even for the short visit. I used to advise against buying them at the airport, but since registration requirements have become a bit more rigid recently, the airport option is no longer such a bad idea.
Thanks. What was your reason for not advising buying the SIM at the airport? Is it more expensive there? How much should I expect to pay for prepaid? Tried searching on the China Mobile English website but it doesn't seem to have much info.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:18 pm

Thanks. What was your reason for not advising buying the SIM at the airport? Is it more expensive there? How much should I expect to pay for prepaid? Tried searching on the China Mobile English website but it doesn't seem to have much info.
Yes. The airport prices are more expensive (e.g. double) than street prices. You're looking at around y200.

Your other options are:
1. Newspaper kiosk or non-chain convenience store
-this remains my goto strategy, but things aren't so simple any more (e.g. the sim you buy might require a store visit in order to activate)
2. Go to Mobile or Unicom stores
-this can be a serious time suck

To reiterate another point, focus on Unicom if you aren't 100% certain your phone will work with Mobile (many FT people make this mistake).

Last edited by moondog; Feb 28, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Yes. The airport prices are more expensive (e.g. double) than street prices. You're looking at around y200.

Your other options are:
1. Newspaper kiosk or non-chain convenience store
-this remains my goto strategy, but things aren't so simple any more (e.g. the sim you buy might require a store visit in order to activate)
2. Go to Mobile or Unicom stores
-this can be a serious time suck
Thanks. Is this something that will take more than an hour if I go to the store? Also, where are these stores located? Only a few places or multiple locations?
To reiterate another point, focus on Unicom if you aren't 100% certain your phone will work with Mobile (many FT people make this mistake).
Any way to be sure if my phone will work? All indications from the Apple website seem to be that the model I have (A1586, bought unlocked from the Apple Retail store in Japan) will support China Mobile's 4G TD-LTE band 39.
https://support.apple.com/en-ap/HT202909
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:56 pm

Store visits typically require less than an hour, but paying an extra 100 to avoid the hassle is a no brainer.

That having been said, stores are pretty easy to find.

It seems that your phone will work on Mobile, but I still prefer Unicom (in spite of the fact that it doesn't work in my elevator/basement).
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Store visits typically require less than an hour, but paying an extra 100 to avoid the hassle is a no brainer.

That having been said, stores are pretty easy to find.

It seems that your phone will work on Mobile, but I still prefer Unicom (in spite of the fact that it doesn't work in my elevator/basement).
Thank you. Really appreciate all the input!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:23 am

i'm staying at the FOUR POINTS BY SHERATON SHANGHAI, PUDONG. Tangqiao is my subway stop.

i just realized i will be in need of a sim for a 3 days visit. where can i buy it near my hotel or should i get it at the longyang station? I'm guessing tons of street hawkers there? I"m coming from PVG airport, taking the maglve then 2 and 4 lines to tangqiao.

i can speak decent mandarin but will need map and stuff to move around which will require data.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:32 am

If you are willing to pay more to avoid wasting time and headaches, these guys will deliver to your hotel: http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/simcard
I have read nothing but 5-star reviews from people who used them. There is a price to pay for convenience.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
If you are willing to pay more to avoid wasting time and headaches, these guys will deliver to your hotel: http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/simcard
I have read nothing but 5-star reviews from people who used them. There is a price to pay for convenience.
Sure, but for people that speak passable Chinese (e.g. including vocabulary required for the mission at hand), finding a preregistered sim on the street still isn't especially challenging (in Shanghai, at least). Just focus on newspaper stands and 小卖铺, and avoid chained convenience stores. This rarely requires more than 10 minutes of walking.

Eta: I worry about people who don't speak Chinese attempting the newspaper stand drill because the odds of ending up with a sub optimal sim are pretty high if you don't know how to ask the right questions.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 2, 2016 at 9:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.