Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hongqiao airport left luggage and train travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Hongqiao airport left luggage and train travel

I will be flying out of Hongqiao (-PEK-SFO) in a couple of weeks. 2 nights before I leave I'll be traveling from Suzhou by train and staying at the Hilton.

If I take the train from Suzhou SIP-Hongqiao, do I then need to change to a subway to get to the airport? If so, is this line 10 (to terminal 1) or line 2 (to terminal 2)? If line 2 I could always just go straight to the hotel as well.

I would love to be able to leave my large luggage at the airport, but I find the details on the website (http://en.shairport.com/2012-12/06/content_15993186.htm) confusing. Are there 2 separate areas? Which terminal are they in? It says that hours depend on flights, but then actually lists some hours, and 7am isn't all that early! My flight leaves at 8.30 or so, so will I be able to take the subway from Jing'An to the terminal, pick up my bag and get checked in on time?

Am I better off taking the train to Shanghai station and cabbing from there, getting a car service to take me to the hotel directly from here (I hate driving here when I can avoid it!) and then taking the subway with all my luggage at 630am?

Finally, are there any decent lounges at Hongqiao? I'm flying Air China in First (which seems a lot like business!) and have *G. I liked the lounge in Pudong last year, but the lounges in Beijing were underwhelming at best.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless you charter a g650, you will not be flying sha-sfo.

The Hilton is very close to the ja Temple stop on line 2.

Please rewrite your proposed plan in a more condensed manner, and we'll opine further.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Unless you charter a g650, you will not be flying sha-sfo.

The Hilton is very close to the ja Temple stop on line 2.

Please rewrite your proposed plan in a more condensed manner, and we'll opine further.
As posted in the first line, I'm flying SHA-PEK-SFO sans g650 .

To condense...

Where is left luggage at Hongqiao and when is it open?

How does one change from Suzhou-Hongqiao train to airport to line 2?

Sorry for excess details!

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:14 am

You walk between the airport and the train station. No idea about luggage storage.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:50 am
qpr

Originally Posted by painintheuk

Where is left luggage at Hongqiao and when is it open?
T1 Gate 5 at Arrival and Departure Hall

T2 At Arrival Hall and as fare as I know at the East Traffic Center 1 F

Hours: 08:00 - 21:30
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Based solely on one instance when I did something similar (TYN-SHA and SHA-CAN on separate tickets and 8 hours between flights, both on CA, so I went into the city for a day trip):

There is a left luggage location on the arrivals level. The signs are clearly marked. I believe it is staffed, but I also recall seeing automatic lockers.

Hongqiao is quite a ways from the city, and a taxi could take more than a half hour in traffic. Taking the train directly into Shanghai main station might be a good idea, but it leaves off the luggage option.

CA has a pretty nice domestic lounge in SHA. Full food service at meal times, and similar amenities as the one in T3-C in PEK.

Others, please correct any of my memory mistakes.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
During major Party gatherings or events either in Shanghai or Beijing the left luggage counters at SHA will be closed due to security reasons. So, not always possible to leave your bags there.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:27 pm

I posted in our wechat group: there is now a wagas in t2 with the full menu. I plan on grabbing sandwiches there whenever time permits.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I think that I'll just take the train to Shanghai main station and take a cab from there. I'll then take the metro to the airport first thing in the morning that I leave.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:33 am

Thanks all.

I think that I'll just take the train to Shanghai main station and take a cab from there. I'll then take the metro to the airport first thing in the morning that I leave.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
I am not sure where you're coming from in Suzhou, but on the Shanghai end, Hongqiao to the Hilton is a really easy subway ride... and, you have a very good shot at getting a seat because there is only one stop west of Hongqiao Stn. Shanghai Stn, by contrast, is not especially convenient wrt Jing'an (bad subway connections, and lots of traffic).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:28 am
Original Poster

I am not sure where you're coming from in Suzhou, but on the Shanghai end, Hongqiao to the Hilton is a really easy subway ride... and, you have a very good shot at getting a seat because there is only one stop west of Hongqiao Stn. Shanghai Stn, by contrast, is not especially convenient wrt Jing'an (bad subway connections, and lots of traffic).
Thanks Moondog.

Via Hongqiao was originally my first choice. I guess I'm just too confused about Hongqiao! I've read too many different things, I think, particularly on the airport website. For example, Line 10(?) connects to Terminal 1, Line 2 to terminal 2, with no link I can see - is it just a short walk? Another train? Which Terminal is Hongqiao train station? I guess that I was confused further by the luggage information on the website (which has been updated upthread, but certainly doesn't make me want to trust the opening times), which doesn't mention terminal numbers at all.

I just want to get from my very crappy Suzhou apartment to my lovely Hilton room and connected Exec lounge as quickly and easily as possible . I would always prefer train/metro to driving - especially here!

I will go buy my ticket tomorrow, perhaps.

Sorry for the excess verbiage .

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:14 am

Thanks Moondog.

Via Hongqiao was originally my first choice. I guess I'm just too confused about Hongqiao! I've read too many different things, I think, particularly on the airport website. For example, Line 10(?) connects to Terminal 1, Line 2 to terminal 2, with no link I can see - is it just a short walk? Another train? Which Terminal is Hongqiao train station? I guess that I was confused further by the luggage information on the website (which has been updated upthread, but certainly doesn't make me want to trust the opening times), which doesn't mention terminal numbers at all.

I just want to get from my very crappy Suzhou apartment to my lovely Hilton room and connected Exec lounge as quickly and easily as possible . I would always prefer train/metro to driving - especially here!

I will go buy my ticket tomorrow, perhaps.

Sorry for the excess verbiage .

Dr. PITUK
Line 2 serves t2 and the train station.

Line 10 serves t1, t2, and the train station.

The train station and t2 are very close.

Eta: line 2 to ja is obviously the best way between the airport and the Hilton, but line 10 to sh library also works (15 min v 5 min walk). And, you'll almost definitely get a seat on line 10.

Last edited by moondog; Oct 19, 2015 at 8:42 am
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I will be flying out of Hongqiao (-PEK-SFO) in a couple of weeks. 2 nights before I leave I'll be traveling from Suzhou by train and staying at the Hilton.
Which Hilton?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Which Hilton?
Given the lack of any qualifying statements, I assume he is referring to the Hilton Shanghai on huashan rd.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Given the lack of any qualifying statements, I assume he is referring to the Hilton Shanghai on huashan rd.
That's better. I thought he meant Hilton Hongqiao, which is quite far away from subway station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.