7 hours in Beijing - Massage and Muslim Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium

I have a 6 hour transit in Beijing in June and I'm looking for a cheap (but legitimate) massage and some good muslim food (this was the term given to some great food I had in Shanghai a few years back).

Are there any suggestions where I can get both without too much hassle from the airport in the time available? A few beers wouldn't go astray either.

I'm comfortable getting a train to downtown. But a taxi to somewhere closer wouldn't be out of the question either.

Many Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by sydunipete
I have a 6 hour transit in Beijing in June and I'm looking for a cheap (but legitimate) massage and some good muslim food (this was the term given to some great food I had in Shanghai a few years back).

Are there any suggestions where I can get both without too much hassle from the airport in the time available? A few beers wouldn't go astray either.

I'm comfortable getting a train to downtown. But a taxi to somewhere closer wouldn't be out of the question either.

Many Thanks.
Is your transit between the hours of 10:00 and 21:00? Would Xinjiang food qualify in your book as "Muslim food?"
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We need a little more clarity about this Muslim food you crave, but if you mean street food (some of which has Xinjiang origins), then Sanlitun would fit the bill.

If you want to go to an actual restaurant, I would get on google or the beijinger and do some searches... with a focus on the Lido (or even Shunyi) area due to proximity to the airport. (Sanlitun is 30 minutes away, Lido 20 mins, and Shunyi very close).

Massage places are easy to find pretty much everywhere. After you settle on your food plan, report back and we can help you optimize.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Thanks for the help.

The food was a fantastic lamb stew / curry. I had it once a bit off the beaten track in Shanghai a few years back. I presumed it came from Western (or South Western) China. My guide just called it muslim food and he ordered for me.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Crown Plaza by the airport, free shuttle also,

Not for sure about the Muslim food, but active area...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Would you be referring to 涮羊肉?

(Tip: Google Images the Chinese characters to see if the photos match what you describe.)

Mutton features big in Muslim food so it could be other dishes too..
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by satman40
Crown Plaza by the airport, free shuttle also,

Not for sure about the Muslim food, but active area...
When I suggested Shunyi (as a somewhat lame, but convenient third choice), I was not referring to the part of Shunyi with the airport hotels; with 7 hours, the OP can do significantly better.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=roverkt;24911395]Would you be referring to 涮羊肉?

(Tip: Google Images the Chinese characters to see if the photos match what you describe.)
QUOTE]

No. That wasn't it. I would could that "Hot Pot".

I think Xinjiang cuisine was right on the money.

So : I'm looking for some good (westerner friendly) Xinjiang food and a cheap, legit massage with a 6 hour turn around time from Beijing airport(10:00 - 16:00), hopefully near the airport train.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:02 am

[QUOTE=sydunipete;24912115]
Originally Posted by roverkt
Would you be referring to 涮羊肉?

QUOTE]

No. That wasn't it. I would could that "Hot Pot".

I think Xinjiang cuisine was right on the money.

So : I'm looking for some good (westerner friendly) Xinjiang food and a cheap, legit massage with a 6 hour turn around time from Beijing airport(10:00 - 16:00), hopefully near the airport train.

Any suggestions?
http://www.thebeijinger.com/director...lim-restaurant

This place is okay, and not too far from Dongzhimen, but I still encourage you to look more in Sanlitun or Lido (train not really an option in these cases; taxis are cheap).
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=moondog;24912260]
Originally Posted by sydunipete

http://www.thebeijinger.com/director...lim-restaurant

This place is okay, and not too far from Dongzhimen, but I still encourage you to look more in Sanlitun or Lido (train not really an option in these cases; taxis are cheap).
The write up on thebeijinger sounds perfect for what I'm looking for.

Yes - I've been amazed at how cheap Beijing taxis are. I just need the address or name card of the restaurant in Chinese so I can tell the driver where to go.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
If you're ok with going as far as Sanlitun, then I would suggest Tumaris (突玛丽斯), I used to live in the building behind it and would go there quite often. Very good Xinjiang restaurant, very authentic and they even have Shisha attendants. Although I haven't been there in a couple of years, it's definitely worth a Google (or a Baidu).

新疆突玛丽斯餐厅 Tumaris Restaurant Xinjiang
China
Beijing, Chaoyang
Chaoyang N Rd, 237号
复星国际中心

After writing the above I Googled it and Dianping (Chinese Yelp) says this place is closed. Anyone in Beijing know if that's true or not?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:48 am

It looks like the op has the restaurant requirement covered.

The massage requirement is easy, but I'll throw out lianzi (dongzhimen) as an option.

Op can actually use the aex in both directions, but assuming t3, I would only do so on the way to the airport. (If t2, use aex from the airport.)

Eta: just use aex in both directions. You'll enjoy the 20 minute walks.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster

The best laid plans of mice and men - goes the famous saying.

I arrived and sought an ATM (Bancomat etc) to give me some RMB / CNY but I couldn't find one in the terminal that would work / accept my card / work in English. So I didn't even get to first base and buy a ticket to town.

I appreciated all your input. I had all the maps and other details printed and was looking forward to it. Sigh. Look for my Air China trip report for the problems I had at the airport.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:09 am

I am surprised that none of the many ATMs worked for you. You must hold a card from a very rare network. All ATMs have English, especially true at the airport.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Originally Posted by JPDM
I am surprised that none of the many ATMs worked for you. You must hold a card from a very rare network. All ATMs have English, especially true at the airport.
Yeah, I've used Bank cards from different Canadian banks and they work fine in the ATMs at airport and in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.