Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Air China or Aeroflot in J to Guangzhou?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS, SU

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about which airline to take from the UK to Guangzhou around the start of June.

I'm looking to book my first flight in J and would like to find out whether Air China or Aeroflot is better on this route.

I've done UK to China in Y using both airlines and value them about equally. Air China would route LHR>PEK>CAN and Aeroflot would route LHR>SVO>CAN so a slight difference. I am not set on flying out of Heathrow but I suspect the lounges would be best there. I can fly from anywhere in the London area and as north as Manchester if the price/quality is right.

I have 'seen' the J cabin on both airlines that serve the UK to China route and they don't seem to be an awful lot different. I really enjoyed the service of the crew on Air China and my stomach very much agrees with the oriental food! The food on Aeroflot wasn't as good but no real problems either so can I assume an equal increase in quality of the food from Y to J?

Both airlines are selling at about £1,500 return so price is not the issue at the moment, just which airline people would recommend.

Many thanks,
Joe
Old May 2, 2015, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much is ek?
Old May 2, 2015, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

More than I'm willing to pay
Old May 2, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by joe19924
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about which airline to take from the UK to Guangzhou around the start of June.

I'm looking to book my first flight in J and would like to find out whether Air China or Aeroflot is better on this route.

I've done UK to China in Y using both airlines and value them about equally. Air China would route LHR>PEK>CAN and Aeroflot would route LHR>SVO>CAN so a slight difference. I am not set on flying out of Heathrow but I suspect the lounges would be best there. I can fly from anywhere in the London area and as north as Manchester if the price/quality is right.

I have 'seen' the J cabin on both airlines that serve the UK to China route and they don't seem to be an awful lot different. I really enjoyed the service of the crew on Air China and my stomach very much agrees with the oriental food! The food on Aeroflot wasn't as good but no real problems either so can I assume an equal increase in quality of the food from Y to J?

Both airlines are selling at about £1,500 return so price is not the issue at the moment, just which airline people would recommend.

Many thanks,
Joe
I'm pretty sure Air China will give you full flat beds, Aeroflot still has angled bed/recliners. On that basis... seems a no brainer.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm pretty sure Air China will give you full flat beds, Aeroflot still has angled bed/recliners. On that basis... seems a no brainer.
AFAIK, SU flies a 777 to CAN and therefore has flat beds. So I'd recommend:
If SU has a 777 scheduled for SVO-CAN on your dates, take SU. Their service is top-notch (but very Russian). If not, take CA, which definitely should have flat beds on LON-PEK. I'd also change planes in SVO rather than PEK (because it's int'l to domestic).

Last edited by Chinatrvl; May 3, 2015 at 12:23 am
Old May 3, 2015, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
If SU has a 777 scheduled for SVO-CAN on your dates, take SU. Their service is top-notch (but very Russian). If not, take CA, which definitely should have flat beds on LON-PEK. I'd also change planes in SVO rather than PEK (because it's int'l to domestic).
Xie xie nimen

I very much enjoyed the 'Russian' service in Y for the LHR>SVO>CAN route last summer so have no qualms about receiving it again in J. I guess it boils down to the plane and as you guys mention the flat bed seats, which I have seen on both routes and I believe I was on the 777 both times, or possibly an A330...

We'll see, but thanks very much for the advice, it's going to be useful!
Old May 3, 2015, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
If SU has a 777 scheduled for SVO-CAN on your dates, take SU. Their service is top-notch (but very Russian).
^
Old May 17, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Booked SU in J LHR>SVO>CAN rt.

Thanks for the help. Selected 2K for SVO>CAN and 2A for CAN>SVO as I'd like to see out the window and feel it's okay when not in Y.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Bit late now but I see that VN are offering £1360 for early June on this route, although by all accounts the SU seat is better, or you could have gone TK from BHX for £1500.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Bit late now but I see that VN are offering £1360 for early June on this route, although by all accounts the SU seat is better, or you could have gone TK from BHX for £1500.
VN will have their A350s and 787s flying to London and Frankfurt from some time this year, and fares ex Asia are very competitive atm (around USD1800 return).

Paris still gets the old 777 (an angled partly lie-flat recliner... not quite full lie flat). However for fares ex Asia, the return out of paris can be on Air France metal (again angled lie flat)
Old May 18, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the issue of under which program(s) the flights would earn FF miles.

Also, CZ is based in CAN, so that carrier, or some connection to CZ, would surely be an option. They have some nice new A380s.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the issue of under which program(s) the flights would earn FF miles.

Also, CZ is based in CAN, so that carrier, or some connection to CZ, would surely be an option. They have some nice new A380s.
^

London to GuangZhou hands down, it's gotta be China Southern , value comfort , ease of everything at one of its home base .
Old May 19, 2015, 10:05 am
Original Poster

I will be able to use the SkyTeam lounge in LHR T4 since I'm flying LHR>SVO in J, right?
Old May 19, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by joe19924
I will be able to use the SkyTeam lounge in LHR T4 since I'm flying LHR>SVO in J, right?
Yes if your flight departs from T4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.