Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese Visa Flight Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Chinese Visa Flight Requirement

Hello,

I will be traveling to China in a few months, and I am beginning the visa application. It states I must have a round-trip ticket. I have a one-way flight from the US to Beijing, separate flight from Hong Kong to Seoul (I plan on traveling by train to Hong Kong), and a one-way from Seoul back to the US.

Even though these are all separate itineraries, will this pass as a requirement as a roundtrip flight?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:46 am

Yes that should work.
Rather than take a train to HK, take the bullet train to Shenzhen.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
Yes that should work.
Rather than take a train to HK, take the bullet train to Shenzhen.
Agree that the ticket thing is a non-issue, but disagree about your advice wrt bullet train:

-anything other than second class costs more than flying, and even second class is a draw if you don't mind sub optimal flights
-the food sucks (many of us can endure BJ-SH without food or KFC bought at the station, but 9 hours is completely different story)
-it is a serious PITA to get to HK from Shenzhen North (not sure if Futian Station is open yet; if so, only a big PITA)
-the train that goes to HK itself is pretty comfortable, costs a lot less than the fast trains, and you can split the trip up into two or three days without jacking up the price in a meaningful manner
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: various
Despite the "round-trip ticket" terminology, China doesn't really care if you go home or not. All they want to know is that you're leaving China. There are a few reports of applicants in some locations where an intl flight ticket out of Hong Kong in lieu of one from the mainland has been rejected as unsatisfactory. However, I haven't heard of this happening to USA applicants in the US. So you should be OK.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses

Thank you all for the responses. It eased my worries.

I will be flying into Beijing then traveling by train to Shanghai with a group. After Shanghai, I was thinking about traveling by train to Hong Honk. Is flying a better option from Shanghai?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bee Zee
Hello,

I will be traveling to China in a few months, and I am beginning the visa application. It states I must have a round-trip ticket. I have a one-way flight from the US to Beijing, separate flight from Hong Kong to Seoul (I plan on traveling by train to Hong Kong), and a one-way from Seoul back to the US.

Even though these are all separate itineraries, will this pass as a requirement as a roundtrip flight?

Thanks!
Nobody cares about round trip flights. What they care about is that you have a ticket out of the country--and you do.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:26 pm

I will be flying into Beijing then traveling by train to Shanghai with a group. After Shanghai, I was thinking about traveling by train to Hong Honk. Is flying a better option from Shanghai?

Thanks!
Flying is usually a "better" option. I was responding to the point that you wanted to train to HK. If that's your decision, there are better train options.

@moondog - to the extent that one has decided that he prefers the train, then that train to HK isn't too appealing compared to alternatives. It only runs every other day and takes nearly 24 hours. The fast train takes 8.5 hours only. The short subway ride to the border isn't that big a deal. Also on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, you have the overnight fast train doing this in 11.5 hours, half the time of the HK train. While I agree that it is still a long train ride, these are better options than the HK train.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:04 pm

Much better to fly than waste a bundle on the expensive HSR.

On the other hand, the direct train to HK is a fine and reasonably-priced trip, and I've done it several times. Sure, you have to be alright with 24 hours on a train, but it can be relaxing in a way.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks!
Yes.

Since you're already going to get your train experience between Beijing and Shanghai, there's no need to tack on more.

Be prepared for some serious flight delays if you're traveling during the summer months,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ht-delays.html

but you'll almost certainly be able to get to HK much faster than by taking a train to Shenzhen North.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:48 am

If you like trains and want to experience an overnight sleeper trip Chinese-style, then take the direct train Shanghai-HK. It's different than sitting on the HSR. But only every other day, remember.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Shanghai - HK now only takes 19 hours. 6pm - 1pm. And there's usually a on-going discount. Last month I bought a north bound for someone, it was under HK$1,000 each for deluxe soft-sleeper. Two traveling together, HK$2000 is cheaper than many 4* hotels in HK for one night.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by 889
Much better to fly than waste a bundle on the expensive HSR.

On the other hand, the direct train to HK is a fine and reasonably-priced trip, and I've done it several times. Sure, you have to be alright with 24 hours on a train, but it can be relaxing in a way.
A bundle? HSR SH-SZ second class is just 467.5. But a bit long to sit in a train for me. Not as good as the Beijing one which also has overnight high-speed trains for just 700. But overnight trains are not everybody's cup of tea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.