Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Tips for Cincinnati to Wuhan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DaileyB

1. Why am I using American Airlines? My children will stay 3 weeks and I will stay 1 week. I understand the unaccompanied minor program much better with respect to American Airlines as opposed to others, and I will need to use it. (Chinese airlines may not have unaccompanied minor program at all. Also, my few attempts in the past to contact Chinese Airlines directly have been worthless.)
Did you call CZ/DL to inquire about this? If you can pull off the CZ flight, your life will be MUCH better. Feel free to PM me after you confirm the unaccompanied minor situation; I will help you: 1) find dates that work; and 2) get the best fare possible.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 25, 2015 at 1:13 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

JieJie,

Thanks for your very useful suggestions. Sounds like direct airport shuttle would work for me. Someone else has suggested a taxi. I know they are cheap in China, but I wonder whether I could trust a taxi.

DB
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I'd really skip the train if possible—especially arriving at PVG, it's a huge hassle.

Why not do something like:

CVG - LAX (pick any flight...)
LAX - ICN (KE12, redeye, departs LAX 11:30 arrives ICN 4:40am)
ICN - WUH (KE881, departs 9:10am arrives WUH 11:10am)

ICN is an easy airport to transit, you won't have any annoying ground transfers, and KE has far better transpac service than any of the US flagged carriers. I'm also confident that KE can handle an unaccompanied minor without problems.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A year or two ago there were reports on FT of DL being unwilling to do UM handling if a CZ connection were involved.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Scifience
I'd really skip the train if possible—especially arriving at PVG, it's a huge hassle.

Why not do something like:

CVG - LAX (pick any flight...)
LAX - ICN (KE12, redeye, departs LAX 11:30 arrives ICN 4:40am)
ICN - WUH (KE881, departs 9:10am arrives WUH 11:10am)

ICN is an easy airport to transit, you won't have any annoying ground transfers, and KE has far better transpac service than any of the US flagged carriers. I'm also confident that KE can handle an unaccompanied minor without problems.
ICN is my suggested back up plan for the op, but utilizing the sfo-wuh flight is even better. Flying Delta to Shanghai should be an option of the last resort.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
ICN is my suggested back up plan for the op, but utilizing the sfo-wuh flight is even better. Flying Delta to Shanghai should be an option of the last resort.
The only problem I see with WUH-SFO for the return is that CZ's unaccompanied minor policy stipulates no connections, so presumably someone would have to pick up the 9-year-old at SFO (the 14-year-old wouldn't qualify as a UM at all). Absent the UM issue, this is obviously the better choice.

KE's policy doesn't seem to have any such restrictions.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the many good suggestions, which have been helpful to me in deciding my course of action. Right now I wish to avoid non-Chinese or non-American airports because if anything goes wrong in, for instance, Korea, I have no contacts to assist me in resolving the problem. Also, right now my preference is to take the bullet train from Shanghai to Wuhan as a matter of simplicity so that coming and going flights will be the same.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by DaileyB
Thanks again for the many good suggestions, which have been helpful to me in deciding my course of action. Right now I wish to avoid non-Chinese or non-American airports because if anything goes wrong in, for instance, Korea, I have no contacts to assist me in resolving the problem. Also, right now my preference is to take the bullet train from Shanghai to Wuhan as a matter of simplicity so that coming and going flights will be the same.
Shanghai to Wuhan (by train) is arguably simple during the outbound portion of your trip in which you are with your kids (e.g. book hotel and train for next day).

But, on the return journey (when you are not with your kids), there is significant potential for things to go wrong. While I don't think this is an impossible to overcome obstacle (e.g. trains are almost always on time, and transportation between SHA and PVG is straight forward enough for you to put a viable plan in place), if you didn't have to deal with it, things would be simpler/easier.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I encourage you to try to your best to nail down the SFO-WUH nonstop flight as an option (and investigate DL's unaccompanied minor policy on the SFO-CVG leg). If this works, then go with it; the PVG-SHA-WUH (and vv) drill is bound to set you back $600 anyway.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Moondog: "But, on the return journey (when you are not with your kids), there is significant potential for things to go wrong."

This is what we did 2 years ago and why I feel comfortable with this potential itinerary. Our Chinese relatives just arrived a day ahead of time. Am intrigued by SFO to Wuhan though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.