Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

ORD to PVG, Help me choose the best airline, i have no status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold

This is my first Trip to China and Shanghai. i am a southwest airlines person so i have NO status with UNited or AMerican or any of the other alliances. So i dont care about Points.

What I care about is comfort (im 6"2" and 250 lbs)
I care about good Movie entertainment to kill time

I dont mind one stop but not too.

If you choose United: is the nonstop aircraft good or should i get on the 787 out of LAX?

Should i do Economy plus?

What about Cathay Pacific?

What about JAL or Asiana?

Please suggest whatever comes to mind!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you value your time, AA and UA are the only nonstop options. UA has been using a 747 on that route recently, which I try my best to avoid. AA is still flying 772s (might switch to 77W next year with skinnier seats), which are decent enough.

You can often save money by connecting in Japan, Korea, or even Beijing if you're cool with Hainan Airlines.

CX is one of my favorite airlines, but HK is a substantial detour (i.e. not worth tacking on unless you make it a stopover).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
If you value your time, AA and UA are the only nonstop options. UA has been using a 747 on that route recently, which I try my best to avoid. AA is still flying 772s (might switch to 77W next year with skinnier seats), which are decent enough.

You can often save money by connecting in Japan, Korea, or even Beijing if you're cool with Hainan Airlines.

CX is one of my favorite airlines, but HK is a substantial detour (i.e. not worth tacking on unless you make it a stopover).
moondog, thanks for your reply. I always try to avoid a US carrier and i echo your comments on United. When i fly to Europe i avoid them at all cost.

Did you ever take Korean? Asiana? or JAL? these three carriers have flights that are "on the way" to Shanghai and shouldnt be that much of a detour.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by feysul
moondog, thanks for your reply. I always try to avoid a US carrier and i echo your comments on United. When i fly to Europe i avoid them at all cost.

Did you ever take Korean? Asiana? or JAL? these three carriers have flights that are "on the way" to Shanghai and shouldnt be that much of a detour.
Yes, I've taken all of them (as well as ANA). You're right that Japan/Korea aren't really a detour, but not having to waste 4 extra hours is a pretty significant nod in favor of the nonstops.

When is your trip? Are you going to SH only or other places as well?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

even cathay is fine! the detour is a few hours extra... but in coach they have fantastic IFE... lots of box-sets for series etc. you won't get bored!

I would agree to avoid UA, the only thing it was going for it (in coach) is the non-stop service.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I fly that trip twice a year, AA out of ORD,

Time is money, 62,5 FC.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I've taken all of them (as well as ANA). You're right that Japan/Korea aren't really a detour, but not having to waste 4 extra hours is a pretty significant nod in favor of the nonstops.

When is your trip? Are you going to SH only or other places as well?
I am going sometime in January or February. my first trip to Pacific Rim. I fly to Europe often but have no experience with the Pacific carriers or routes.

Im just trying to find the best comfort for me. i dont mind a pit stop.

I really hate US carriers for International Travel.

Did you every fly Korean or Asiana or ANA or JAL , again Economy
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:58 pm

Did you every fly Korean or Asiana or ANA or JAL , again Economy
I already said yes to this question. Economy is still economy no matter how you slice it though UA manages to make the experience remarkably unpleasant. AA is okay enough for 12-15 hours though.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
depending on aircraft type, the Korean airlines can offer more seat pitch (2-3 inches) than either cathay or the American carriers. although on the american carriers you can pay for economy plus.

but the trade off is IFE... CX wins hands-down on that.

if your budget can extend, have you considered a dedicated premium economy offering? that will give you wide seats and legroom. someone like cathay, EVA air or Japan airlines/ana might have some options.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
If you value your time, AA and UA are the only nonstop options, or even Beijing if you're cool with Hainan Airlines.
Hainan flies the new 787, but not every day of the week with the ORD-PEK route.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jiatong
Hainan flies the new 787, but not every day of the week with the ORD-PEK route.
Yes, they do, and they have cheap J fares, but PEK is one of the last places I'd want to connect between ORD and SHA. If the OP wants a stopover in BJ, on the other hand, HU could make sense.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:49 am

What about Air Canada? Ord-YVR-PVG? I think YVR-PVG is a 787
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:12 am

Based on your preferences I would avoid UA for sure. AA for a long time was running 777s with terrible IFE (non on-demand IFE) not sure what the current situation is there.

If you are okay with a stop any of the Korean or Japanese carriers would be fine. I have taken them all in coach and in biz and they've all had modern IFE systems for a long time now. The stops in Seoul and Tokyo are pretty efficient/low hassle.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
What about Air Canada? Ord-YVR-PVG? I think YVR-PVG is a 787
Thanks. I thought about them and I do like air canada. Has anyone ever experienced their seat comfort
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:44 am

Thanks. I thought about them and I do like air canada. Has anyone ever experienced their seat comfort
I've flown their 767s to/from Beijing and Shanghai in Y a number of times. Again, I survived, but nothing to write home about.

@FLLDL: At least in J, AA's 772s have tolerable AVOD. While not as extensive as CX, I had no trouble finding enough movies and TV shows to keep me entertained on my flight last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.