Visa Issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Visa Issue

Let's say, "theoretically", somebody gets off a cruise ship in Beijing (Tianjin) and fails to notice that their Visa expires at Midnight. They now have only an expired visa. They are now 'stuck' in Bejing amd can't reboard the ship. Could they still be able to request a 72-hour Visa on Arrival (and where would they go for this since they are now in China illegally), or is there another course of action they should follow.
Interesting problem.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:29 pm

Odds are that the cruise company will notice or the immigration agents will notice. And assuming that you pass by those 2 check points then you are overstaying your visa illegally. The 72-hour visa on exemption (not a visa on arrival) does not apply if you arrive by cruise ship in any case.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info that Visa by exemption does not apply to cruise ship entry. I did not know that. Anyhow, it appears that the Visa was vaild on entry but expired before they tried to return to the ship. So technically, they overstayed their Visa.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Just to complete the 'saga', they were able to get 'China' to issue a 'Landing Slip' so long as they had a reservation to fly out. This was done and they will connect with the ship at it's next port. For once, a common sense solution.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vulcan
Thanks for the info that Visa by exemption does not apply to cruise ship entry. I did not know that. Anyhow, it appears that the Visa was vaild on entry but expired before they tried to return to the ship. So technically, they overstayed their Visa.
Most PRC visas have an "enter before [date]" clause rather than a fixed expiration date.

In either case, if you overstay your visa, you can be fined Y500/day upon exit, but this is typically reduced to Y250/day or waived entirely in cases of minor oversights.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Moondog.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:10 pm

Yeah, i was just thinking about this one again. Visas do not say when you have to leave but when you can enter last. So if you enter on a valid visa, you can stay as long as you visa says you can (30 to 90 days). As long as you enter before the "enter before" date, then you are fine.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:32 pm

72 Hour Visa exemption

Does the 72 hour exemption START when you enter immigration at Chinese airport? and countdown ENDs when you LEAVE immigration at Chinese airport?

I have an itinerary into PEK at around 5pm local time on Friday and a separate one way leaving PEK at about 2pm local time on Monday....so about 69 hours transit time...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by shingu79
Does the 72 hour exemption START when you enter immigration at Chinese airport? and countdown ENDs when you LEAVE immigration at Chinese airport?

I have an itinerary into PEK at around 5pm local time on Friday and a separate one way leaving PEK at about 2pm local time on Monday....so about 69 hours transit time...
It is measured from scheduled arrival to scheduled departure.

Refer to the TWOV thread.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by shingu79

You're fine if these are nonstop flights from/to different countries.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:56 pm

Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.