Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

How can train tickets be delivered to hotel with new ID policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

I want to get tickets for the bullet train from Shanghai to Beijing. I see that Travel China Guide and ctrip both offer to deliver tickets to a hotel for a fee. However, I also read that as of early 2014 your passport needs to be checked before you can get a ticket. So how can they deliver tickets without checking my ID? Do I then have to wait on line at the train station for someone to check my ID? Or do they do this before I board? Or do they not do it at all? I would prefer getting tickets before my trip so I don’t waste sightseeing time in Shanghai waiting on line to get train tickets to Beijing.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thx!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:57 am

It takes 5 minutes to pick up the train at the station, no big deal.
You will need to send a copy of your passport to these agents. I think that for ctrip, you need to be there when they deliver. Sounds more annoying than picking them up at the station.
In any case, they may still verify your passport at the station.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Just 5 minutes? That sounds fine. However, when I was researching on the Internet, I saw advice to come an hour ahead since the line for pickup could be half-hour or more. This would be at Hongqiao railway station. This uncertainty was why I preferred to send tickets to hotel. I didn't realize you had to be there to pick them up though. I had not read that anywhere.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:19 am

Check the fine print on the ctrip website. You are not going to arrive at the train station 5 minutes before your train in any case. There is a line for picking up tickets bought on the internet. This line is quite fast as half the people in this line are in the wrong line and turned back. Also it is better to pick up the tickets "in the station" (after the xray machines) as there are fewer people there.
also you can just ask your hotel to get you the tickets
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
It takes 5 minutes to pick up the train at the station, no big deal.
You will need to send a copy of your passport to these agents. I think that for ctrip, you need to be there when they deliver. Sounds more annoying than picking them up at the station.
In any case, they may still verify your passport at the station.
Unless something has changed in the last 2 weeks, you certainly don't need to be present when they deliver. Will call is also an option with Ctrip (and saves the delivery fee), but only on the Chinese site.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Unless something has changed in the last 2 weeks, you certainly don't need to be present when they deliver. Will call is also an option with Ctrip (and saves the delivery fee), but only on the Chinese site.
You are right, according to their website, they now allow for the hotel staff to sign for them. I guess that you need to be checked into the hotel when you buy them or advise the hotel to keep them for you.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Excellent! Thanks, everybody!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:40 pm

Also it is better to pick up the tickets "in the station" (after the xray machines) as there are fewer people there.
At Nanjing train station last week there was not only a ticket check to get to the X-Ray machine, but she also very carefully checked that the passport number on my ticket matched my actual passport. Even in Suzhou, where they didn't want my passport, they did look at my ticket before I went in.

Dr. PITUK

Edit. Just noticed that it was leaving from Shanghai, so maybe the rules are different there. Sorry!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:59 am

You should probably allow 20 minutes to pick up the ticket at the station. It is never obvious to me which counter to go to pick up the tickets, so I normally go to the front of one of the lines and ask the person at the window which queue to join.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

I am having the tickets (via Travel China Guide) delivered to my hotel in Shanghai to eliminate that potential hassle. Even so, I read that I should be at the train station an hour before departure.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by gensuki
I am having the tickets (via Travel China Guide) delivered to my hotel in Shanghai to eliminate that potential hassle. Even so, I read that I should be at the train station an hour before departure.
Where did you read this? 15 minutes is fine because boarding doesn't start until t-10. The only reason I can think of to arrive at t-30 is to allow time to load up on KFC for the journey, but it's far better to get real food (e.g. Wagas, Element Fresh, City Super) in town first if you can fit it into your schedule.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Where did you read this? 15 minutes is fine because boarding doesn't start until t-10. The only reason I can think of to arrive at t-30 is to allow time to load up on KFC for the journey, but it's far better to get real food (e.g. Wagas, Element Fresh, City Super) in town first if you can fit it into your schedule.
Maybe not the smartest idea for someone who is going there for the first time. For one thing the station is huge and getting off the taxi to just getting to the boarding gate can take 10-15 minutes.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:41 am

Maybe not the smartest idea for someone who is going there for the first time. For one thing the station is huge and getting off the taxi to just getting to the boarding gate can take 10-15 minutes.
No way. Taxis drop off in the middle so the maximum walk is around three minutes. The subway to track 1 walk takes 8 minutes but I don't count the first half of this in my 15 minute recommendation because you're not actually in the train station.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:26 pm

What is the preferred web site to purchase G train tickets from Beijing to Shanghai?

http://english.ctrip.com/

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/chin...11%2F26%2F2014

http://www.cits.net/trains/china-domestic-trains.dhtml
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:01 pm

There are many agents, most are ok. The one that I have used and who has excellent reviews is www.china-diy-travel.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.