Search

Beijing subway - some stations now have TSA-like security measures

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Beginning late May of 2014, some subway stations have instituted airport-like security searches for would-be passengers, including metal detectors, x-ray machines and pat-downs; these are additional to bag checks. There are currently nine (of 200) Beijing subway stations where you may expect significant delays due to "antiterrorism procedures", presumably due to separatist activity in Xinjiang and Urumqi.

You should prepare by budgeting time for these searches and queues or know which stations are not involved.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That makes a lot of sense
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:08 am

Was there is late May early June and saw nothing like this. It was all business as usual.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:22 am

Rather than reporting old media articles, it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually seen something like this. anyone familiar with China and who lives there is always amazed by some stories found in western media.
Looking at this, I can't tell where this photo was taken. Reading an article that published this photo, the only photo that is clearly from a subway station is from 2008 and is just normal rush hour on line 1.
http://rt.com/news/161844-beijing-se...checks-subway/
So, anybody actually saw something like this or experience this so-called enhanced security?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Not only public transit places, but there are also security checks to get to the roads that lead to Tiananmen square, Forbidden City, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPDM
Rather than reporting old media articles, it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually seen something like this. anyone familiar with China and who lives there is always amazed by some stories found in western media.
Looking at this, I can't tell where this photo was taken. Reading an article that published this photo, the only photo that is clearly from a subway station is from 2008 and is just normal rush hour on line 1.
http://rt.com/news/161844-beijing-se...checks-subway/
So, anybody actually saw something like this or experience this so-called enhanced security?
Looks to me like the Jianguomen station. Like you, I think the whole article is BS.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:32 am

I didn't see this and I just ask a friend in Beijing. She had no idea what I was talking about. Yes it can be crowded at some stations during rush hour but nothing new here.
I don't think that the photo is Jianguomen, they don't have this kind of space there as it is am older station.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I've just returned from Beijing. I was only there for 2 days doing touristy stuff, and I used the metro 5 times. Bags were being x-rayed at every station entrance I used (5 different locations in all). People seemed to be taking it in their stride so I didn't realize it was a new thing. Station entrances had 'security' signs on them (which I took to mean "this way to the security check").

Last edited by User Name; Jul 23, 2014 at 4:16 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
LOL, what is the extra transit time for the average daily commuter - since there's no precheck or GE ... curious minds like to know.

It looks to be organized and very orderly, kind of reminded me of the lines at the World Expo in Shanghai @ 2010, except that folks camed prepared for long wait & vendors selling folding stools, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The Pakistani establishment is currently fulfilling a major commitment to protect their Chinese friends. Without their sanctuaries in the tribal areas of Pakistan the Uighur terrorists have far less changes to stage deadly attacks inside China.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/722202/a...th-waziristan/
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
LOL, what is the extra transit time for the average daily commuter
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by User Name
I've just returned from Beijing. I was only there for 2 days doing touristy stuff, and I used the metro 5 times. Bags were being x-rayed at every station entrance I used (5 different locations in all). People seemed to be taking it in their stride so I didn't realize it was a new thing. Station entrances had 'security' signs on them (which I took to mean "this way to the security check").
These x-ray machines at the entrance of the subway have been there for several years. Nothing new and it doesn't really slow you down.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
No idea where that photo was taken, but as of late last week, I neither encountered nor heard of any such measures anywhere on the Beijing subway.

The x-ray bag checks, as JPDM notes, have been around for years and while of debatable usefulness are not much of an inconvenience. Same with the checkpoints at the entrances to Tiananmen.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:04 pm

The RT.com article says that the picture is of Tiantongyuan North Station:.

Wall Street Journal also has other pictures:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...bway-security/

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...how/#slide/eos
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:38 pm

Yes, articles on the net talk about it but I never saw this in Beijing and neither have my friends who are residents of Beijing. When you live in China for a while and you read what the foreign press writes about China, it makes you wonder what to think about everything else in the newspaper that you are not so familiar with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.