Wiki Posts
Search

new Air China lounge Shanghai Pudong

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 7:15 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
bu shi bu shi - arrival too close to departure means less drinking time at airport!
Look at it as an opportunity to enjoy a drink that is not watered down, nor Sprite mixed with wine, nor bootleg whiskey mixed with green tea, nor a crappy drink at a 5 star hotel priced at 20USD.

It's kind of a little welcome relief. Probably fake liqour, but nonetheless it does have an equivalent alchohol content.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tkflyer
Also, wi-fi does not required a password. Connect and your off !
Yup, that alone makes this lounge worthwhile. I hate those stupid SMS passwords with a passion.
Old May 22, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Scifience
Yup, that alone makes this lounge worthwhile. I hate those stupid SMS passwords with a passion.
especially if you don't have a smart phone! The PVG free arirport wifi sends you a link that you can't retrieve!
Old May 22, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Having been there 3 times in recent months, the CX/KA lounge is nothing to write home about. I used it as last resort. It beats being in the terminal.

Have not yet been to this new CA lounge. But sure want to next time in PVG.

If booze is reason to rate a lounge, then one should reserve judgment until one tries the booze at (from the pic) the circular bar inside CA’s lounge.

I too welcome a lounge that does not require a wifi password.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Having been there 3 times in recent months, the CX/KA lounge is nothing to write home about. I used it as last resort. It beats being in the terminal.

Have not yet been to this new CA lounge. But sure want to next time in PVG.

If booze is reason to rate a lounge, then one should reserve judgment until one tries the booze at (from the pic) the circular bar inside CA’s lounge.

I too welcome a lounge that does not require a wifi password.
yeah... thanks for the warning about the booze at the bar! a little too late for me, I already did

the range of drinks is ok, just they used the sweetened tomato juice commonly found in china for my Bloody Mary. it was quite awful. (the cx lounge has proper tomato juice )

but the staff were friendly!

oh, by the way, the WCs are located on the ground floor behind the circular bar. they were not signposted as of two weeks ago and at least 5 or 6 people came up asking where to find them.

the staff didn't understand the requests and were sending people upstairs. (I intervened each time and directed people to the right spot)

the bar man then asked me 'is toilet/bathroom same as WC?'
Old May 22, 2014, 7:30 pm

Not much to try at the "circular bars".

Old May 22, 2014, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Not much to try at the "circular bars".

I suspect that the DL lounge is within the USA. [It might be LAX.] There are only a few in "foreign" countries: two at NRT, none in China, but this picture doesn't look at all like either NRT lounge. BTW, to DL "luxury bar" means that you pay the bartender for slightly better than rot-gut alcohol and even if you just ask for a soft drink (after waiting), the bartender expects a tip.
Old May 23, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that the DL lounge is within the USA. [It might be LAX.] There are only a few in "foreign" countries: two at NRT, none in China, but this picture doesn't look at all like either NRT lounge. BTW, to DL "luxury bar" means that you pay the bartender for slightly better than rot-gut alcohol and even if you just ask for a soft drink (after waiting), the bartender expects a tip.
I believe the Luxury Bar in the photo was from Atlanta.

The photo comparison was China's premium airport and highspeed rail "lounges" are
quite different as far as selection of liquor compared to options in the US.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I do appreciate:

- The dim sum selection and congee for breakfast

- Noodle soup from the cart for lunch

- The quiet seating spots close to the entrance

- Occasionally being able to tuck into SCMP

Btw, the waiting room KA utilizes at SHA is actually not that bad either. Hot food, cold drinks and something to read & live tv. If only they could get more SHA - HKG - SHA flights allocated.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Next week I'll have the choice of the Air China lounge or the Priority Pass (i.e. 66/69) lounges while flying UA. What is the best choice?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Next week I'll have the choice of the Air China lounge or the Priority Pass (i.e. 66/69) lounges while flying UA. What is the best choice?
Neither. Keep your airport time to an absolute minimum.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

new Air China lounge Shanghai Pudong

^^ +1 Keeping airport time to an absolute minimum should be the goal at any airport in China. I like taking KA/CX because I can check in online and arrive 45 min before scheduled departure. With all other airlines I try to get there 1 hour 5 minutes before departure.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
^^ +1 Keeping airport time to an absolute minimum should be the goal at any airport in China. I like taking KA/CX because I can check in online and arrive 45 min before scheduled departure. With all other airlines I try to get there 1 hour 5 minutes before departure.
+2

Ah, coming week KA from SHA T1 instead of the PVG "full treatment"

Life could be worse...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
T-60 for most airlines
I'm wondering how this works. Is the security line never busy, or do you use a priority line? I'm going there tomorrow and flying in J and have a few hours to see the city so it would be good to know.

BTW, flying J on NZ. Anyone know if I'll be directed to the new CA lounge?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:17 pm

If there is priority security I've never seen it. I said t-60 because most airlines stop check in at that mark. But the true deadline is t-20 at the gate. Only bother with lounges if your flight is delayed. Even then, eating semi decent food at airport restaurants is the better course of action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.