Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai or hkg?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Thanks again to all, will go to Shanghai, river cruise at dusk, visit the gardens and I have points for the renaissance marriott [and really wondering how it resembles New Jersey!]
I too am eagerly awaiting your SH-NJ comparison. As far as hotels go, there are a lot (I want to say 27) of Marriotts in Shanghai, and the Yu Garden Ren is not among my top 10, especially since your visit is going to take place during the spring. The Portman would be my first choice, followed by the JW and maybe the Zhongshan Park Ren.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by moondog
I too am eagerly awaiting your SH-NJ comparison. As far as hotels go, there are a lot (I want to say 27) of Marriotts in Shanghai, and the Yu Garden Ren is not among my top 10, especially since your visit is going to take place during the spring. The Portman would be my first choice, followed by the JW and maybe the Zhongshan Park Ren.
My four night stay at the Ren at. Yu Gardens was very good. Had a status upgrade. B Fast was good, Western and Chinese at the buffet with even a three item Indian corner. Staff was very good The three young ladies who greet you when you pull up at the door were extraordinary ! Sought out the GM to mention this.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:21 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
too funny about the cows!
There were painted cows all over about 10 years ago. I worked for a Dutch company in West Orange office and there was a company sponsored cow in the Mall across the street.
The cow was painted with scenes of Dutch countryside by - an actor on the Sporanos! Cousin "Furio" played by Federicco Castellucio, a very talented artist
Cows are very soothing to the mind. Never seen one in central park.
But plenty in Jersey.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:03 pm

Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The buildings in Pudong are twice as tall as those in Jersey.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by kellyperry15
Both Shanghai and Hong Kong are Equalty good but I would like to say go for Hong cong as has much more natural things out there. It is also smart city like Shanghai but it has more benifits being close to nature.
HK as a nature destination?!? Yes, I've been to Lama Island and once hiked to the top of a small mountain in the New Territories, but these activities hardly make the short list for a 3 day visit. Shanghai also has nature (Chongming Dao and Sheshan come to mind). However, few people know or care.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
The buildings in Pudong are twice as tall as those in Jersey.
Correct, and if you calculate the wealth differentiation, the buildings are actually substantially smaller in Pudong.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:41 pm

Shanghai also has nature (Chongming Dao and Sheshan come to mind). However, few people know or care.
I once saw a Tiger at Sheshan.

Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Having lived in HK years ago and traveled to Shanghai several times, I'd say Shanghai if you want to experience China. HK is too much like Manhattan for me (ie just like home). April should have decent weather for Shanghai (not too hot). If you were going today, I'd say HK due to the AQI in Shanghai right now, just awful.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

April actually can be a very nice time in Shanghai, without much air pollution if the spring winds are a blowin'. I'd second Moondog's recommendation for the Renaissance Zhongshan Park rather than the Renaissance Yu Garden. It's a much nicer hotel (the tallest Renaissance in the world) with a great lounge and it is right on top of the main subway line that connects you to both airports and most of the main attractions. If it's a clear day views from the executive lounge can't be beat as you get to see all the big buildings in both Pudong and Puxi. Yu Garden is the most overrated tourist attraction in Shanghai (the bund sightseeing tunnel is the most underrated, you'll never forget it).
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:49 am

HK as a nature destination?!? ...
Definitely yes. 70% of HKs space are country parks. Only HK trail has 50 km.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
HK is more westernized, definitely less of a culture shock if you have never been to China before. Shanghai is well... just another big city.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO either can be a culture shock if you haven't traveled in Asia before.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Have been to china once before, Beijing and Guilin and really loved both, am looking to go to one more big city and some countryside on this trip,
On way back from a conference in south Korea
So far shanghai seems more of what I want with the history, don't know of anything remains of the European bund but that would be interesting to me
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Have been to china once before, Beijing and Guilin and really loved both, am looking to go to one more big city and some countryside on this trip,
On way back from a conference in south Korea
So far shanghai seems more of what I want with the history, don't know of anything remains of the European bund but that would be interesting to me
You have one and a half days. I would recommend HK over SH. You won't get to Suzhou, or only get to Suzhou if SH is your destination - although there's a fast train, it's a whole day affair. Whereas in HK you can easily get to the islands for a morning and then back to the city. I don't know SH as well, but to me, HK is far more beautiful, and the food is better.

SH doesn't have as much 'history' as you might think, although I guess the concession area is ~ 100 years old.

tb

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.