Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Police residence registration fine raised to 2000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you staying in private residences rather than in hotels?
Obviously, as otherwise the hotel would generally deal with it. (On the other hand we usually don't get asked for our passports at hotels as we have always been in the company of at least one Chinese citizen who normally handles checking in. I also stay out of sight until anything to be negotiated is resolved--my wife is China-born and negotiates far better without having my presence brand her as a foreigner.)

Originally Posted by trueblu
As stated, hotels will automatically register you. If staying at a residence in a rural area, you have several days to register, so you would return before being obliged. In a town, to be honest, for 2 days I wouldn't bother, and I'm generally a stickler for the rules.

tb
I believe the rule is 3 days in rural areas. I'm more concerned with if we do register in the rural area (we may end up using it as a base for a couple of side trips and thus stay longer) do we have to re-register back in Shanghai even though our original registration was for the entire time we will be in China?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by jiejie
Aren't you in Central Park? When I lived there and the registration thing started in late 2007, I had to provide a copy of the lease, landlord ID, and a chopped letter from the Wuye saying the landlord did own the apartment and I was a tenant. It was no big deal--Savills routinely did them for everybody. Hujialou PSB was easy-going...not sure if they still are since I've been out of that jurisdiction for a few years. In fact, before that time, CP mgmt used to register all the foreigners just like a hotel did, so you never had to do anything. But in that pre-Olympics run-up, the govt decided we were all a bunch of potential troublemakers and had to show up at the station in person.

Was always glad I didn't live around Haidian/Wudaokou like trueblu; PSB there are bad-@rse and hard-@rse.
Yep, still in CP. Soon after I moved in, there were notices everywhere informing residents that property management can no longer do registrations, and we had to go to Hujialou PSB. As you say, HJL PSB is easy going enough, I don't have any issue with the PSB. This time I went in to register because I am up for work permit renewal and preferred to have the document to accompany my application. Now that it's 3 weeks I can't afford any delay getting my passport back.

Annoying to have to run back from HJL PSB to the management office, then back to PSB!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I believe the rule is 3 days in rural areas. I'm more concerned with if we do register in the rural area (we may end up using it as a base for a couple of side trips and thus stay longer) do we have to re-register back in Shanghai even though our original registration was for the entire time we will be in China?
Just don't even bother.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I'm more concerned with if we do register in the rural area (we may end up using it as a base for a couple of side trips and thus stay longer) do we have to re-register back in Shanghai even though our original registration was for the entire time we will be in China?
No concerns. If you only travel domestically, and once you return to Shanghai, your Certificate of Temporary Residence (zanzhuzheng) is still valid, no need to re-register if you're staying at the same address. Only if you change addresses in Shanghai, or leave the PRC, then on return you would have to re-register.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
No concerns. If you only travel domestically, and once you return to Shanghai, your Certificate of Temporary Residence (zanzhuzheng) is still valid, no need to re-register if you're staying at the same address. Only if you change addresses in Shanghai, or leave the PRC, then on return you would have to re-register.
Thanks. It will definitely be the same address in Shanghai, we stay at a relative's place, it's the same address every visit.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: SQ
I'm pretty sure that the registration lasts a few months, so no worries. The exact length it is valid for I'm not so sure about.

Last year I had a friend visit me in the boonies, leave, then return 2 weeks later and the cops didn't have an issue.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I'm pretty sure that the registration lasts a few months, so no worries. The exact length it is valid for I'm not so sure about.

Last year I had a friend visit me in the boonies, leave, then return 2 weeks later and the cops didn't have an issue.
The validity is determined by the visa, regardless of actual duration of stay. So it would be conceivable (although of doubtful legality) that one could use the same permit for two trips closely spaced to each other, if e.g. one has a 180 day visit visa and an overseas spell inbetween.

tb
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by trueblu
The validity is determined by the visa, regardless of actual duration of stay. So it would be conceivable (although of doubtful legality) that one could use the same permit for two trips closely spaced to each other, if e.g. one has a 180 day visit visa and an overseas spell inbetween.

tb
Yes, the validity is determined by the VISA regardless of the actual stay HOWEVER you must register EVERY time you leave the country.

So, if you were to come in on a 180 day visa and leave within a couple of weeks and come back a week later. You still are required to register TWICE, each time after you come back.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Yes, the validity is determined by the VISA regardless of the actual stay HOWEVER you must register EVERY time you leave the country.

So, if you were to come in on a 180 day visa and leave within a couple of weeks and come back a week later. You still are required to register TWICE, each time after you come back.
My PSB here disagrees with you. I told them I go to HK pretty often, and don't fancy having to spend half a day there after every single trip... they told me "no problem".
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by moondog
My PSB here disagrees with you. I told them I go to HK pretty often, and don't fancy having to spend half a day there after every single trip... they told me "no problem".
+1, that's what I was trying to say. Even if you go to HK every other day, if your visa is XXX days, you only need to go to register every XXX days (according to the local cops). Of course this isn't coming from BJ, but from an outlet where I'm the only foreigner registering.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like it's a pain to live in Beijing. Terrible traffic, horrible subway system, dirty air, massive air travel delays, Northern Chinese food, and police that are always on the prowl against foreigners. I've lived for 8 years switching between Shanghai and Guangzhou and have never once had the cops knock on my door or hassle me in any way. I've registered a few times when I had to go for the RP but otherwise I don't go near a police station no matter how many times I switch apartments or come back from an overseas business trip. I've already declined a few jobs because they were in Beijing, and hearing this kind of stuff just makes me even firmer in my decision to avoid that place as much as possible. Nanning, on the other hand, sounds like it might be worth a trip or two....
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It sounds like it's a pain to live in Beijing. Terrible traffic, horrible subway system, dirty air, massive air travel delays, Northern Chinese food, and police that are always on the prowl against foreigners. I've lived for 8 years switching between Shanghai and Guangzhou and have never once had the cops knock on my door or hassle me in any way. I've registered a few times when I had to go for the RP but otherwise I don't go near a police station no matter how many times I switch apartments or come back from an overseas business trip. I've already declined a few jobs because they were in Beijing, and hearing this kind of stuff just makes me even firmer in my decision to avoid that place as much as possible. Nanning, on the other hand, sounds like it might be worth a trip or two....
All true...except in my field, I wouldn't swap BJ for anywhere else in China...really. It's not even a close comparison. And BJ is still a very fun place despite all the drawbacks, and the people are very friendly, by and large.

We didn't come to China for the weather, or even for the money (I took a voluntary pay cut). Sure, there are hassles, but we're (on the whole) really enjoying it. I wouldn't complain if the pollution decreased however!

tb
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by moondog
Really????? I went and asked my local PSB, she said `every time you get an entry stamp on my passport then you need to come and see her.'
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Really????? I went and asked my local PSB, she said `every time you get an entry stamp on my passport then you need to come and see her.'
As I understand, that's correct though the degree of enforcement and fuss is really PSB dependent. I don't bother to register each time, and even my immigration lawyer says it's not a huge deal, she recommended that I can simply call up the PSB to verify if my record has been updated electronically, which I've never done because I can't speak Chinese fluent enough to deal with it over the phone. But when it comes time for permit renewals, I will get it done just to have something on paper. We know the value of chops/stamps here.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
One of these days, you and I will visit the 首都 together, and I'm 100% sure that you will change your tune... coolest people in the world. In Shanghai I hang out with you at the GY; in Beijing, I hang out with rock stars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.