Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

April 2013 - new H7N9 strain of avian (bird) flu in - Shanghai (PVG-SHA) region again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: anacapamalibu
The avian influenza A (H7N9) virus has recently been detected in humans. Most infected people have had serious respiratory infections. May 6th, 6PM HKT) 130 confirmed cases (2 new ones added - 1 in Fujian & 1st. one in Guangdong province) and 1 more "expired" (thus, 27 deaths from H7N9). (c/o Letitride3c) The virus has only just emerged as transmissible from birds to humans; the WHO has stated there is not yet any evidence of human-to-human transmission of the virus.

Hong Kong HKG airport has implemented procedures to scan incoming passengers for high temperatures and illness; other China airports may follow through. <updated 8 Apr 2013>

Search link for World Health Organisation H7N9

Link to U S Centers for Disease Control H7N9 with links
Print Wikipost

April 2013 - new H7N9 strain of avian (bird) flu in - Shanghai (PVG-SHA) region again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.

FYI - official Chinese tallies - 7 cases tested positive for H7N9 strain, 2 confirmed dead, 1 serious/critical
It is too early perhaps to escalate - no special alerts yet from US CDC EPR yet - use this link for future updates directly if ... http://www.bt.cdc.gov/whatsnew.asp WHO on human infection with A(H7N9) avian influenza virus in China http://www.who.int/influenza/human_a.../en/index.html

HKG (HKIA) apparently stepping up measures to monitor & scan arriving travelers & transit passengers for fever & other symptoms via direct observation at control points. It's not clear whether PVG entry points have launched similar measures like the past outbreak ...

The other 4 cases came from 4 different cities (Nangjing, Suzhou, Wuxi & Suqian) in the Jiangsu Province, not far from Shanghai - 16 hospitals have been given the designations to receive, treat & isolate patients suspected of or showing symptoms associated with the flu. The source(s), origin and nature of transmission has NOT been identified and still being investigated. Unofficial sources on various sites/blogs pointing to hundreds of unspecific but serious pneumonia patients being hospitalized and/or treated in the past several weeks.

Officials downplayed these unreliable reports and assured the general public, that 34 samples taken from the dead pigs floating in the river tested negative for the bird flu. No reference or mentioning of those dead ducks floating in a different river and whether those were tested & the findings.

The latest from NBC News - http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-in-china?lite

Last edited by Letitride3c; Apr 6, 2013 at 8:10 am
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So, no more XLB, no more chicken... I guess we're down to burgers, pasta, and veggies.

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
FYI - official Chinese tallies - 7 cases tested positive for H7N9 strain, 2 confirmed dead, 1 serious/critical
It is too early perhaps to escalate - no special alerts yet from US CDC EPR yet - use this link for future updates directly if ... http://www.bt.cdc.gov/whatsnew.asp WHO on human infection with A(H7N9) avian influenza virus in China http://www.who.int/influenza/human_a.../en/index.html

HKG (HKIA) apparently stepping up measures to monitor & scan arriving travelers & transit passengers for fever & other symptoms via direct observation at control points. It's not clear whether PVG entry points have launched similar measures like the past outbreak ...

The other 4 cases came from 4 different cities (Nangjing, Suzhou, Wuxi & Suqian) in the Jiangsu Province, not far from Shanghai - 16 hospitals have been given the designations to receive, treat & isolate patients suspected of or showing symptoms associated with the flu. The source(s), origin and nature of transmission has NOT been identified and still being investigated. Unofficial sources on various sites/blogs pointing to hundreds of unspecific but serious pneumonia patients being hospitalized and/or treated in the past several weeks.

Officials downplayed these unreliable reports and assured the general public, that 34 samples taken from the dead pigs floating in the river tested negative for the bird flu. No reference or mentioning of those dead ducks floating in a different river and whether those were tested & the findings.

The latest from NBC News - http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-in-china?lite
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:15 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
So, no more XLB, no more chicken... I guess we're down to burgers, pasta, and veggies.
Snake, cold blooded and immune to influenza.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by moondog
Properly cooked poultry should be fine. And I even had a soft-boiled egg at lunch today.

Agree there is a reason to be cautious, but until more is known, I wouldn't start veering too far from normal routine as yet.

I'm more concerned that I've just been given the common cold by my daughter, and have to take a flight for a one-day meeting next week -- dreading the temperature monitors that will now be on full alert in all Chinese airports.

tb
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Thanks for all the info.. I'll be monitoring this thread over the next couple week.. currently planned to arrive in Shanghai early next month...

FDW
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there cause for concern for travel to Shanghai?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/05/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Authorities slaughter more than 20,000 birds after H7N9 strain of virus is detected in pigeons and human death toll rises to six

Last edited by airbus320; Apr 5, 2013 at 5:07 am Reason: fix link
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:12 am

GIven this:

"The virus has not been shown to spread easily between humans, he added".

I think you should be okay as long as you don't play with birds.

I should add that Governments, particularly western ones, monitor these issues very closely, since they don't want to import these types of diseases. If you are very concerned, keep a close watch on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (UK), DFAIT and US travel advisories (just google them) - they will tell you what precautions to take and whether or not you should go.

I should add that if DFAIT issues an "avoid all travel" warning, most Credit Card Travel Insurance policies recognize this as an insurable reason for cancellation.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some background information...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle10712122/
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here I am having a coffee and perusing the local newspaper... and this article caught my eye after posting this thread.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...201536571.html

Good article....
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Is there cause for concern for travel to Shanghai?
No.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Are you flying through Hong Kong? They are sticklers for avoiding bringing viruses in so be prepared for an exam if they are monitoring for fevers (they have a scanner that roughly checks each pax as they walk by and if your body temperature is up, they'll pull you aside.)

As a matter of routine, I take an allergy pill and a tylenol about an hour before landing in Hong Kong so I won't trigger an exam. And I avoid travel through Hong Kong when I can during these sort of scares because I'm worried about being put in quarantine.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:59 am

Unless you plan to visit poultry farms and live animal markets and like to eat undercooked eggs or poultry, it should be fine. Practice good personal hygiene and wash your hands frequently. Register the trip with DFAIT so that they can contact you in case of a deterioration of the situation.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Are you flying through Hong Kong? They are sticklers for avoiding bringing viruses in so be prepared for an exam if they are monitoring for fevers (they have a scanner that roughly checks each pax as they walk by and if your body temperature is up, they'll pull you aside.)

As a matter of routine, I take an allergy pill and a tylenol about an hour before landing in Hong Kong so I won't trigger an exam. And I avoid travel through Hong Kong when I can during these sort of scares because I'm worried about being put in quarantine.
I was about to book a river cruise on the Yangtze.......I will wait to see what transpires there.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
When I saw the thread title, I thought someone was concerned that the Korean
situation would cause fallout ( pun intended) in Shanghai.

For bird flu - no concern. You can be certain that if it reached a state where there
is a reasonable probability of contracting it in Shanghai, it will have already spread
to North America.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AC E, PC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
When I saw the thread title, I thought someone was concerned that the Korean
situation would cause fallout ( pun intended) in Shanghai.

For bird flu - no concern. You can be certain that if it reached a state where there
is a reasonable probability of contracting it in Shanghai, it will have already spread
to North America.
yeah but don't forget Chinese government is known to keep news under control....if there is an infection among human in Shanghai you may not even know it until much later because they don't want to scare away tourists or business people... just saying...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.