Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PVG airport free wifi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

PVG airport free wifi

Recently, at PVG terminal 1, the free airport asked to be authenticated via SMS. Alas, I wasn't able to get the SMS on my phone until after I got to the hotel and connected to a wifi network.

Is this now required for all the free wifi at PVG? Previously, it was simply "available" for free access. In Beijing they have kiosks that allow you to access the WIFI using a passport instead. Anything like that at PVG?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
That's SOP in China nowadays by government decision. For quite obvious reasons...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:20 am

The PVG airport free wifi access requires a password that is sent via sms to your mobile. CHINANET WLAN allows using your home phone number to receive the sms. You have 4 hours of free wifi.

Last edited by Sammysw; Nov 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by L Dude 7
Recently, at PVG terminal 1, the free airport asked to be authenticated via SMS. Alas, I wasn't able to get the SMS on my phone until after I got to the hotel and connected to a wifi network.

Is this now required for all the free wifi at PVG? Previously, it was simply "available" for free access. In Beijing they have kiosks that allow you to access the WIFI using a passport instead. Anything like that at PVG?
Things change all the time.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:43 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Some of the restaurants have their own wifi
Higher speed than the free, they give you a password if
you order something
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:36 pm

was there a few days ago on a flight out, they send you a text in chinese no less but its understandable, the only numbers is the password. good for 4 hours according to the text
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:35 pm

I believe you used CHINANET WLAN network which is available for anyone. It is also available at SHA airport / Shanghai Railway Station / Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, KF Gold, Marriott Titanium
Complicated log-in for wifi. Even when you get your credentials servers time out before you can log-in

1) You need to connect to SHA Airport Free wifi (will not bring up browser for log-in or other directions)

2) go to www.shairport.com (hopefully site can be reached, I was not able to reach site on my laptop, tablet OK)

3) Get a password via sms using direction on site.

4) Using full phone number as account number. and sms password received.

5) Hope the Aruba authentication servers do not time out. I was ultimately not able to log-in via my tablet or laptop.

I would have paid for wifi if I could. Decent airport except for the awful free wifi service and the extensive use of energy saving lighting that gave the entire airport a very cold and eery feel.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by icemaker
Complicated log-in for wifi.
Every Starbucks in China uses (almost) the exact same system; it's really not that complicated.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by moondog
Every Starbucks in China uses (almost) the exact same system; it's really not that complicated.
It seems like everywhere I go on Shanghai - Starbucks, other coffee shops, etc. , the wifi login requires that an SMS text of password be sent to a local phone # and not to a US or other western phone. Is that true of free PVG wifi?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
It seems like everywhere I go on Shanghai - Starbucks, other coffee shops, etc. , the wifi login requires that an SMS text of password be sent to a local phone # and not to a US or other western phone. Is that true of free PVG wifi?
I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is the case. As I understand it, part of the rationale behind the system is to keep track of who is online. Of course, if you don't register your SIM, they'll never know any way.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, KF Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by moondog
it's complicated when you can't even get to the screen to request credentials.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:06 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Free What in life is free?

Landside Airside restaurants
high speed internet - no log in required

cup of tea ~6-8 RMB MOQ
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:43 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Free What in life is free?

Landside Airside restaurants
high speed internet - no log in required

cup of tea ~6-8 RMB MOQ
I told one of the staffers at PVG that I didn't have a mobile, and she kindly registered her SIM so that I could use the interweb. That was free, minus the cost of a plane ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.