Question about norms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about norms

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Question about norms

My wife and I are sitting in the VIP Lounge in Guilin airport. The gentleman next to us started watching videos on his phone (with wacky musick-y sounds) at full blast. We noticed something similar but a little less distracting in the executive lounge at the Conrad Beijing. My wife (the ever-proper Canadian, despite having lived in the US most of her adult life) is getting irritated. I wonder if this is just normal behavior -- I would have thought that in a culture with so many people, you'd likely be careful about sharing your sounds with others -- but I have seen it a few times on this trip. Is this normal behavior (or at least acceptable behavior) in China?

I'm not bothered -- it seems a little amusing. But, I might be if I were really trying to work.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:02 am

It's not acceptable, but as a foreigner, it's not acceptable for you to say anything about it either.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:16 am

"I would have thought that in a culture with so many people, you'd likely be careful about sharing your sounds with others."

Your first visit to China?

Actually, this is one of those times when being a foreigner helps. While Chinese are usually reluctant to interfere in other's pleasures, you as the barbarian are perfectly free to do so. Particularly in hotels I always seem to be asking other guests to close their door when chatting in their room or not talk on their mobiles in the hall, and I haven't been murdered for doing so yet.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: various
Foreigner gives you some leeway and it's OK to ask to tune it down. Doesn't guarantee cooperation though. China and the Chinese are loud, in every way. I'm not sure there is a Chinese word for "whisper." My advice, to save your sanity: always keep earplugs with you when in China.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Also during recent history, manners and respect were equated with the feudal past and attacked as mechanisms used by the exploiting class to keep down the underprivileged. In the 1950s and 60s, what we reactionary rightists would consider as rudeness was held as as exemplary under the dictatorship of the proletariat. Lingering attitudes from that era still pervade, hence the multitudes of propaganda posters urging people to behave “civilized “ in order to move society forward.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:04 pm

I plan to purchase some cheap earphones that I can give away to those annoying people who are doing this on planes and trains near to my seat.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
As you’ve already found out, you’re going to keep bumping into that kind of thing in China. It’s pretty normal, I don’t think they mean to be rude at all.

I second the earplugs comment, but on a XMN-PEK flight a couple of weeks back, I had an eureka moment:

Older guy in aisle seat across from me is watching some video on his phone with the volume way up during boarding. I’ve been over here often enough to know that my blunt Euro reflexes wouldn’t go down too well.

Realized I have a spare set of cheapie headphones (in packaging, lol) from another flight in my jacket pocket, got his attention and offer it to him with a friendly face and a smile. He doesn’t accept them, but turns the volume off right away.

This has worked a few times so far, nobody takes the headphones, but the friendly offer takes the sting out of the ‘criticism’.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always ask them in Chinese if they have earphones. It’s never not worked.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by 889
"I would have thought that in a culture with so many people, you'd likely be careful about sharing your sounds with others."

Your first visit to China?

Actually, this is one of those times when being a foreigner helps. While Chinese are usually reluctant to interfere in other's pleasures, you as the barbarian are perfectly free to do so. Particularly in hotels I always seem to be asking other guests to close their door when chatting in their room or not talk on their mobiles in the hall, and I haven't been murdered for doing so yet.
I think Chinese are impervious to sounds. A couple of years ago, I was in a cheap hotel in Shanghai. Two of my neighbors, who had seperate rooms, were playing cards in one room. They left the empty room door slightly ajar, and the alarm beeped for a good 5 or 10 minutes, before I went out, accessed the situation, and just closed the door to the empty room and went back to bed.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
I think Chinese are impervious to sounds.
They have to be, all volume control goes straight to 11.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Thanks for the explanation/confirmation.

Not my first visit to China but not a frequent visitor. I hadn't really noticed this so much, but that is because I concentrate pretty hard, but a couple of guys were hard to miss.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Unfortunately, this is typical behavior here in the Middle Kingdom. Everyones phone is on the loudest setting possible, no "buzz" mode here. When a phone rings in a crowded elevator or room, instead of waiting to answer, they will answer immediately and yell as loud as possible to overheard above the din. It's just the way it is here and we can't change it

Once in a casual, uncrowded restaurant, I was sitting for dinner. Guy sits right next to me, starts watching a video on his phone with the speaker so load it was distorting. I gave a few looks but nothing. Then I tapped him on the shoulder and indicated it was too loud. The reaction I got from him was that I was a crazy man and very rude, but he did get up and go away. Perhaps I was the rude one, as my sense of rude is definitely different than the sense here.

The sense of respect for personal space is completely different here. It's one of the things I battle with since I like my personal space and I get offended when "my" rules of etiquette are broken. Deep breaths and put on headphones, noise canceling preferably.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.