Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Cybersecurity: what precautions in China?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cybersecurity: what precautions in China?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by olddallas
My laptop drive was really messed up on a recent trip, crippling the machine. It could have been a failed attempt to access my encrypted drive. Last functioning location was logged into Cathy Pacific first class lounge WiFi in Shanghai airport, although the damage may have been due to something earlier and not manifested itself earlier. I was able to rebuild the software after return to Dallas and hardware seemed fine.

There was nothing of interest to anyone on the drive unless you really want thousands of examples of very bad tourist photos or a superbly curated iTunes library.
I'm not expert on these matters, but is it even possible to mess with a computer that's connected wirelessly to an old-school network in an airline lounge? If so, who in the lounge would have the desire/skills to pull this off (I was in the lounge in question 2 weeks ago, and the staffers could barely keep the Wifi active... I ended up switching to 4g tethering while they fumbled around with it)?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by olddallas
My laptop drive was really messed up on a recent trip, crippling the machine. It could have been a failed attempt to access my encrypted drive. Last functioning location was logged into Cathy Pacific first class lounge WiFi in Shanghai airport, although the damage may have been due to something earlier and not manifested itself earlier. I was able to rebuild the software after return to Dallas and hardware seemed fine.

There was nothing of interest to anyone on the drive unless you really want thousands of examples of very bad tourist photos or a superbly curated iTunes library.
Using a public wifi without any protection is looking for trouble anywhere in the world. Not an issue if you do nothing sensitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.