Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

~airlines w/ flexibility in changing return dates

Old May 23, 12, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

are there any Chinese airlines that are more flexible with changing return dates

I realize most US airlines charge a CHANGE FEE and FARE DIFFERENCE

Is this the same w/ Chinese/asian airlines or are some more flexible????

Thanks!
Old May 24, 12, 6:34 am

Sometimes domestic open tickets are cheaper than return tickets. Search on ctrip and select open for return.
Old May 24, 12, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If, for example, you want to fly from NYC to SH, you can shell out $6,000, and do whatever you please with your return ticket (i.e. you'll be treated like a king).

But, most rationale humans prefer to spend $1500 for the ticket, plus $150 for the change fee, plus $200 for the fare difference (which is a non issue, most of the time).
Old May 25, 12, 12:35 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Short answer is: nearly all airlines are going to charge you a change fee for date changes, US airlines are not the exception to this. Only the most expensive and unrestricted economy fares (like full Y) might come with a free date change. Discounted economy fares on nearly all airlines come with a change fee.

But here's a possible secret: even on the same airline, the change fee can differ depending on where the ticket was issued. For instance, about 4 years ago I flew United from Singapore to Hong Kong to San Francisco. Then a separate ticket on another airline to my final destination in the USA. But I needed to make a date change on the westbound return TPAC San Francisco to Hong Kong (on United). Because I had bought the ticket online through United's Singapore site (using US bank-issued credit card), the change fee was only the equivalent of US $50. The United phone agent I spoke with commented that wow! if I'd bought in the USA change fee would have been US$150.

Similarly, my TG tickets issued in China (or Thailand) to LAX come with a $75 change fee, whereas the same ticket issued in the USA comes with a fee double that.

I am not sure if this "loophole" has been closed by now, or if it exists on other airlines.

Search this Thread