Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

I have 4 days, shall I visit Shanghai or Beijing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

I have 4 days I can spend in China and I have never been before. I am unsure which city to visit - I don't want to split it into 2/2.

Which city should I visit and can you make any recommendations of what I can do in each city?

I am travelling with Ms. 747-444.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
This is a blind response. I haven't been to either but from what I've seen in video/pictures and from the people that have been to both the vast majority say Shanghai. It has been said to be more intimate and personable. Both are large cities but Beijing was always said to me to be crammed with people at every turn.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Depends what you want to see? Historic? New buildings? Shopping?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Beijing has the big attractions... the Wall, the Square and Forbidden City.

Shang Hai has the architecture, the Bund and the French Concession. And food! And great places to hang out and relax such as the restored Peace Hotel and Waldorf Astoria (amazing 1920's atmosphere to have a cocktail and listen to live jazz).

I spend a lot of time in Shang Hai - i much prefer it. As pointed out above - I find it much more intimate (as you can get in a city of 29m!) - but that is really because the attractions are much closer together.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think there is more of a sightseeing/historical nature in Beijing than Shanghai. As someone mentioned, there is the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square (and Mao's tomb), the Summer Palace, the Temple of Heaven and the Great Wall, just for a start.

I'd suggest getting or just looking at a Dorling Kindersley guide (they're my favs) and looking at pictures or reading a description of what's available in each city. And deciding based on what appeals to you.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
As others have put it, Beijing has more cultural and historial aspect of China and Shanghai has more modern aspect of China.

Both places are not lacking in attractions for you to tour around.

attractions were mentioned above.

So it depends on what you want to do.

Alright, let's say you got bored of the Beijing and Shanghai and intend to do a day trip out to somewhere near.

For this, Shanghai wins IMO, Suzhou and Hangzhou are nearby and great for day trips.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is really no different than the "BJ v. SH" thread.

Simply put, Shanghai has much better food, is less polluted, has good road infrastructure, and is well suited for hanging out.

Beijing, on the other hand, is -- for lack of a better word -- a beast. The air can be filthy, it is crowded (though no more so than SH), and people spend an inordinate amount of time in transit. All that having been said, it is completely worth to know.

If I only had 4 days to kill in China, I'd spend them in Beijing without hesitation. You can get good food and clean air in other countries, so you might as well tempt the capital while you have the opportunity.

Last edited by moondog; Jan 9, 2012 at 7:40 am
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Beijing is the cultural center of China, if you haven't been to China before, Beijing has all the attractions you want to see. Definitely would be my choice if I had not been to China before.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:40 am

You should go to Beijing first to see the chinese culture.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog

Simply put, Shanghai has much better food, is less polluted, has good road infrastructure, and is well suited for hanging out.

Beijing, on the other hand, is -- for lack of a better word -- a beast. The air can be filthy, it is crowded (though no more so than SH), and people spend an inordinate amount of time in transit. All that having been said, it is completely worth to know.

If I only had 4 days to kill in China, I'd spend them in Beijing without hesitation. You can get good food and clean air in other countries, so you might as well tempt the capital while you have the opportunity.
A very well written response, and while I won't say "BJ > SH", I do agree with this post. ^
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog

I agree that, for a first time visit, Beijing is best. However, I've also had some of my best meals in Beijing (and some of my most disappointing in Shanghai).
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: various
Put another way. For all it's warts (pollution and traffic especially), you can easily fill 7 days up in Beijing and not repeat yourself. So 4 days is not a challenge to fill. Shanghai for a tourist on the other hand, pretty much plays itself out within 2 days, and then you'll be turning to the daytrip/Suzhou/Hangzhou gambit. Which is also an OK strategy. So whichever you choose, you'll be getting a different experience and will have to resolve to return to China in the future, to pick up what you missed.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I had friends over in Beijing during the X'mas/NY break - they'd been to SH before, first time in Beijing, and they liked Beijing far more. Beyond the usual major cultural and historical sights, I brought/sent them to the more off-beat hutongs, 798, even Dongjiaoshichang. They also loved Sanlitun and the Opposite House. They really had no idea Beijing had so many different faces to it. Easily filled their 8-9 day stay, though we did lose a couple due to the cold and getting over jetlag.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:54 pm

To be honest you can't go wrong either way.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Beijing. Add couple of days if you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.