Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page > Transiting China, need a visa?

Transiting China, need a visa?


Old Dec 10, 11, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 10,596
Transiting China, need a visa?

A US-passport carrying friend has a short (< 48 hour) layover in Shanghai en route to another country in Asia. He's getting conflicting answers re. whether he needs a visa.

The Chinese Consulate (in Chicago, I think) told him: It's up to your airline...whatever they say.
American Airlines says: No visa necessary
The US State Department says: "If Shanghai Pudong airport is your international transit point, you may stay in Shanghai for 48 hours if you have a valid passport, a visa for your destination, and an onward plane ticket. Make sure you get an endorsement stamp at the immigration desk before you leave the airport."
The visa service his company uses says: Yes, you absolutely need a visa.

I'm inclined to believe the State Department & airline, even though on FT we always tell people to get their info straight from the country in question. I find it hard to believe that the Chinese Consulate really defers to an airline's wishes, but he's a savvy traveler, so I believe him when he said that's what he was told.

chgoeditor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 11, 12:35 pm
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75K, SK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 2,335
* Visas are not required of Citizens of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours

Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece.
BryanIAH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 11, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, AS MVPG75, AA EXP, BA Gold, QR Silver, Fairmont Plat, MR/SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 19,162
Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
The visa service his company uses says: Yes, you absolutely need a visa.
and I bet they are more than willing to sell one
rankourabu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 11, 1:42 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: UA 1K/2MM; SPG Lifetime Plat (and now MR Plat); HH Gold; HY whatever-ist; Nat'l Executive.
Posts: 11,709
Let me move this to the Travel->China forum and also point you to post #3 of this thread where there's a detailed discussion of the Visa requirements for short stays. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...t-threads.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Ocn Vw 1K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 11, 10:38 pm
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Programs: AZ+, BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, TK*G QFSG, SQ-CC
Posts: 1,349

This thread will answer it.
tycosiao is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:28 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.