Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chengdu- Where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Chengdu- Where to stay

Wife and I will be visiting Chengdu for 3 full days and we have the Sheraton as an option (SPG member), but wanted to know what the best area to stay is? We want to try and stay below $125 a night, good modern (or as modern as possible) hotel, with good internet, safe area, convenient as possible.

This will be our first visit and we will be doing all the tourist musts. But we also want easy access to local food and any night life (as in doesn't shut down by 10pm) if there is any.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:07 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the China forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Stay in the city center. Sheraton is a good bet, so is the Crowne Plaza City Center and the HIX Gulou (good reviews on TA, I've never stayed). Latter is new, both other hotels are not new, but refurbished (CP partially!), the Crowne Plaza is a bit more accessible by foot.

Edit, forgot, there's the Sofitel, great hotel, but might be too expensive.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Sep 28, 2011 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:18 am

I stayed at Sofitel recently and it was really nice.
Good location and the rooms are excellent.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
I stayed at intercontinental in century city which is at the edge of town. great property, but not walkable to anything interesting. The holiday inn next door is a bit of a dog

Sofitel is more convenient but still not very walkable. Something near Tienfu Square puts you in the center of town and closer to the tourist draws in the city proper. For quite a few of the sites you read about it will take a 30-90 minute car ride.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by medic-again
I stayed at intercontinental in century city which is at the edge of town. great property, but not walkable to anything interesting. The holiday inn next door is a bit of a dog

[...]
Century city is definitely a no-no for tourists, although there's a metro now.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
The IC is phenomenal.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: SQ
I've stayed at the IC and HI at Century City recently, and the IC is like mnredfox said 'phenomenal.' But it's outside the city centre (not necessarily a bad thing unless you're having meetings), and the subway ride isn't that great. If you're doing tourist things like the pandas, the location is adequate because of the location near the ring roads - not ideal, but perfectly satisfactory. It all depends on what you're into. If you like strolling the city at night, then this place isn't for you. If you like to tour all day and come back to a wonderful property and relax, then this place is perfect.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crowne Plaza city center. Why visit a city and not stay in the middle of it if you can?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:43 pm

I've stayed at the Jinjiang hotel which is right by the river. Was a very nice property, room was clean and spacious, breakfast included and good. There was always someone at the desk who spoke some English, but a little more local flavor, I think. Would recommend it.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I've stayed at the IC and HI at Century City recently, and the IC is like mnredfox said 'phenomenal.' But it's outside the city centre (not necessarily a bad thing unless you're having meetings), and the subway ride isn't that great. If you're doing tourist things like the pandas, the location is adequate because of the location near the ring roads - not ideal, but perfectly satisfactory. It all depends on what you're into. If you like strolling the city at night, then this place isn't for you. If you like to tour all day and come back to a wonderful property and relax, then this place is perfect.
Good point, outside the city and not convenient. But if you're willing to do a cab ride it's def worth it.

I've never seen so many expensive cars in Western China than in front of this hotel. And they treat RA's like....well RA's....
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Quick Question:

Arriving late into Chengdu City and a morning flight out of CTU so want to stay somewhere near CTU.

The airport hotels have terrible reviews on TA.

Was looking at HI Century City West burn 15k PC points.

Any other recommendations?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao
Quick Question:

Arriving late into Chengdu City and a morning flight out of CTU so want to stay somewhere near CTU.

Was looking at HI Century City West burn 15k PC points.

Any other recommendations?
Not a bad place, if you want to burn double you can stay at the IC. It's right next door. Lots of Chinese hotels closer, but not a lot of other options if you want western chains.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao
Yes, there are bad reviews for it. I have the same problem, departure is 7am. If I stay in the city I have to get up very early, so maybe will try this property next week.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: SPG-Gold, *A-Gold, AA-Platinum, Hilton-Gold, IHG-Plat, Marriott-Silver, Accor-Plat, Carlson-Gold,
We live here in Chengdu and have stayed at the Homeland hotel. It says it is a five star but more like a four star, maybe. It is near the airport that is nice. About five minutes to the airport. Ctrip.com can get decent rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.