Overnight in Xian, China where to stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.

I am staying one night this December in Xi'an. I have heard the Shangri-La (not the Golden Flower) is good. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT China Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta ,
Xian- Gloria

Stayed there a couple nights will hook you up with a tour guide if needed to see the terra-cotta warriors.It was rated five star and reasonably priced.

http://www.gloriahotels.com/tianyu-g...ervations.html
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Somewhat further, but the Holiday Inn isn't bad. If you're a PC plat you get lounge access too. ^
Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:01 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
I found the Citadines Apart Hotel quite good when I stayed there last year. Close to everything and friendly staff. Also, a very quick walk from the airport bus.

Last edited by Hvr; Aug 19, 2011 at 6:03 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I did OK at the Sofitel...not as nice and modern as the Sofitel in Beijing, but OK.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Hvr
I found the Citadines Apart Hotel quite good when I stayed there last year. Close to everything and friendly staff. Also, a very quick walk from the airport bus.
I also stayed at the Citadines and found it satisfactory, although the staff were not particularly friendly to me.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just a word of warning, Xian taxi drivers can sometimes be cheats. Be on your guard and read the FAQ guide thread for tips.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Originally Posted by 14940674
I also stayed at the Citadines and found it satisfactory, although the staff were not particularly friendly to me.
I found the staff to be more indifferent than not friendly. Also, the place has begun to look pretty worn down. But it's still perfectly functional and the best thing it has going for it is probably the location.

Couple of new Starwoods opening up in December. Perhaps the OP would be kind enough to give one of them a test run on behalf of his/her fellow FTers?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: SQ
Overnight? Meaning visit the warriors then leave the next day I assume. Think about location first - the warriors and airport aren't totally convenient to the centre
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
I stayed in Golden Flower and enjoyed it.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
At the Shangri-La Xian right now. Very nice hotel and excellent service from the bellboys to the front desk team. The rooms are decent sized and work for both vacation and work. Free wifi/internet is a plus in China. Great swimming pool and gym.

The Shangri-La is outside the old city walls but if you want to see the Terracotta warriors, it is fine. Recommend you go early in the morning (about 45 mins to 1 hour drive) and perhaps have your driver drop you off at the city gates so you can explore the old city walls upon your return.

The Hilton Xian opens today so that might be another choice (not sure if they have a promo for the opening).
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by johnathome
At the Shangri-La Xian right now. Very nice hotel and excellent service from the bellboys to the front desk team. The rooms are decent sized and work for both vacation and work. Free wifi/internet is a plus in China. Great swimming pool and gym.

The Shangri-La is outside the old city walls but if you want to see the Terracotta warriors, it is fine. Recommend you go early in the morning (about 45 mins to 1 hour drive) and perhaps have your driver drop you off at the city gates so you can explore the old city walls upon your return.

The Hilton Xian opens today so that might be another choice (not sure if they have a promo for the opening).
Thanks for the advice. Enjoy. I will be there in December, no pool i think!
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orli-flier
Thanks for the advice. Enjoy. I will be there in December, no pool i think!
Most pools in Xi'an are indoors --> open year round.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by tycosiao
I stayed in Golden Flower and enjoyed it.
I like the staff at the Golden Flower very much, (very friendly and helpful) but to be honest its very dated and has been for years. I've stayed at both the "new" and "old" wings. The former is in need of an update the last I checked (3-4 years ago) and the latter (where I accidentally booked) in March 2010 is in dire need of refurbishment.

Seems to mostly cater to the big tour buses (often American) as well as the odd Chinese professional soccer team and management (or corporate) seems to be milking it for what its worth. Makes sense (shame because I like the location). Guests come in for a night or two (at most) and then leave en masse. Rinse, repeat. We can even see it here on FT how many threads/posts we see about day trips or over-nights to Xi'an...

Not supposed to be rant, but Xi'an is an underrated city. There is so much history and culture beyond just the warriors. It's a shame that more folks don't try to explore it. I completely understand schedules are rushed and people may not have time etc -but many just seem to dismiss it and that's a shame.

Last edited by Jamoldo; Aug 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.