Wiki Posts
Search

hk-guangzhou airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
hk-guangzhou airport

can anyone tell me the best way to get from hong kong(around kowloon) to guangzhou airport?and how long would it take?
doesnt seem to be a direct service-

thanks
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Depends on what you mean by "best". There are lots of ways to do it - for example, most expensive and comfortable is to have a car door-to-door, without even having to leave vehicle at border.

And cheapest will be by one of the "direct" buses from various points in HK to central Guangzhou (from about HK$90), and then switch to the subway.

A better compromise is one of the Intercity trains direct from Hung Hom in HK to Guangzhou East (12 trains a day, takes about 111 minutes). Or take HK's East Rail to Lowu, cross the border, then, one of the very frequent "D" trains from Shenzhen to Guangzhou East (every few minutes, takes 66 minutes from SZ) and then subway.

If you go by rail and switch to the airport bus, you should be able to get to CAN in under 4 hours, unless the lines are super long at the border, and not an issue if you take the Intercity train. If you go by car, should be faster, but the traffic can really come to a crawl on the main Guangzhou-Shenzhen highway. Bus would take even longer, of course.

Edit: Oh, yeah, KA flies HKG-CAN twice a day, and CZ once.

Edit 2: Deleted info about CAN's Airport Express bus. With the subway going to the airport, no reason to ride it...

Last edited by rkkwan; Apr 21, 2011 at 6:02 am
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Agree there is different ways depending on what you define as best. Can you give us some criteria please and we can help out (cost, time, speed, hassle factor, etc).
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Guangzhou metro connects GZ East station with the airport now (and also GZ main station, change once) - no need for the airport bus. I'd take a direct train from Hung Hom to GZ Dong and switch to the metro. Travel time probably less than 3 hours.

Taking a private car service (which I did frequently last year) also took quite a while (boarder and a permanently congested highway), approx. 3 hours.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
can anyone tell me the best way to get from hong kong(around kowloon) to guangzhou airport?and how long would it take?
doesnt seem to be a direct service-

thanks
Can you tell us a bit more about your ultimate objective (since you want to go to the airport, I am assuming you plan on flying some place)?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Guangzhou metro connects GZ East station with the airport now (and also GZ main station, change once) - no need for the airport bus. I'd take a direct train from Hung Hom to GZ Dong and switch to the metro. Travel time probably less than 3 hours.

Taking a private car service (which I did frequently last year) also took quite a while (boarder and a permanently congested highway), approx. 3 hours.
Oh yeah, of course! I totally forgot.

Yeah, in that case, no reason to go to GZ main. I totally agree that just take either Intercity from Hung Hom, or the much more frequent "D" trains from Shenzhen to GZ East and then subway.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
thanks-and sorry for lack of info,,

yes im staying in hk (kowloon)and flying out of guangzhou airport at 4pm..
so wondering best way and time it takes,,
wouldnt go by plane
thanks again
Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: SQ
as a side question to this...

is it at all possible or realistic to take the bus from GZ to HKG in time for a 10:45 am flight or is an overnight required?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
as a side question to this...

is it at all possible or realistic to take the bus from GZ to HKG in time for a 10:45 am flight or is an overnight required?
Possible from some places in Shenzhen, but impossible from Guangzhou. The bus ride from GZ to HKG is over 3 hours, including going through the border. And I think most scheduled buses don't start until 7a.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks-and sorry for lack of info,,

yes im staying in hk (kowloon)and flying out of guangzhou airport at 4pm..
so wondering best way and time it takes,,
wouldnt go by plane
thanks again
Would it be possible for you to fly out of a different airport?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Possible from some places in Shenzhen, but impossible from Guangzhou. The bus ride from GZ to HKG is over 3 hours, including going through the border. And I think most scheduled buses don't start until 7a.
that's what i figured....thanks!
Old May 1, 2011, 12:01 am

HK airport must have charter flights or air taxis that you can walk up to. Flying is so quick. Make sense that many may not want to deal with the headache.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Shimon
HK airport must have charter flights or air taxis that you can walk up to. Flying is so quick. Make sense that many may not want to deal with the headache.
Sure, if you're willing to part with several thousand dollars, you can probably arrange a helicopter. But, for the rest of us, there are only a handful of flights on offer.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:18 am

I don't think it would be that expensive. It could be a good business venture.
Old May 1, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Shimon
Unfortunately not. Shenzhen Airport to Macau and Hong Kong island to Macau is available at around 2000 HKD p.P. one way. However, no scheduled services (except flights on KA and CZ) are available to Guangzhou or CAN.
I agree, these services should not cost much more than a scheduled flight on this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.