Medical Costs in China/Travel Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Costs in China/Travel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:31 am

It sounds GREAT.. but HOW is it viable?

As mentioned upthread a single claim could easily wipe out the income recieived by the insurer from thousands of subscribers...
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:52 am

Programs: various
Trooper, it is NOT viable to provide travel medical insurance covering everything, everywhere for Euro 8 or 10. NOT VIABLE as a self-financing business product. Not even for the Germans. So, something critical is missing in the explanation we are being given by other FT'ers.

Since this part of the discussion has taken this thread completely off on a tangent that is completely useless to the OP as well as to a majority of FT readers, I suggest we all just drop it and move on. If you're German (or in the EU), more power to you, but everyone else is stuck and has to choose from options that cost more than Euro 8 or 10, if they want travel medical insurance. That's a fact.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
Trooper, it is NOT viable to provide travel medical insurance covering everything, everywhere for Euro 8 or 10. NOT VIABLE as a self-financing business product. Not even for the Germans. So, something critical is missing in the explanation we are being given by other FT'ers.
There is nothing missing in the explanation. Its a full health insurance without co-payment. With unlimited coverage, including everything you need for health care, doctor, hospital stay, ambulance to bring you to the next doctor/hospital and of course you can choose the doctor yourself so you can go to the most expensive doctor if you want, repatriation, drugs...
The only small limitation is that each stay can't be longer than 6 weeks in the most insurances (I have one with 90 days coverage for free over my creditcard). You can fly home than and go on trip again the next day, so you have coverage for 6 weeks again.
And its a stand alone police, you dont have to buy anything more from the insurance company than this police.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:59 am

Travel Insurance

A couple of points:

1. If you are interested in the travel insurance but want to minimize the cost than consider buying the insurance with a 0 (zero) trip cost. By using a zero trip cost you eliminate the trip cancellation and interruption coverages but you retain all of the other coverages including the medical and emergency medical evacuation coverages. It also substantially reduces the cost of the insurance. The only draw back is that you will not be eligible for any of the time sensitive benefits.

2. The Travelex Lite plan does not offer a "cancel for any reason" option. It is really titled "cancel for all events" which has some basic differences than "cancel for any reason".
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
I have personally witnessed the father of a friend who had a massive stroke. We went with her to the hospital. The Chinese medical system is so blatently unfair that it was amazing. Money or foreign insurance makes a HUGE difference on quality of care. The emergency doctor is so upfront, I was personally offended for our friend's sake. Doctor wanted a red envelope with cash. He actually said, "ATM machine is across the street". Every nurse, care aide and EVEN the cleaning staff all came over with their hand out. The local I was with said, "nurses get about 500 rmb or they will not care for your father and nursing assistant should get about 200 rmb or they will not feed or wash your father and the janitor should get about 100 rmb or the bed area will not be cleaned"

As we were waiting, nurse comes up to us and says, "your father needs his head shaved so that doctor can cut a hole in his head to relieve the pressure - I need a razor to shave a part of his hair off, give me 20 rmb now"

The 12 or so hours we waited in the waiting room, at least once a hour somebody will come by demanding cash for everything and anything.

If I couldn't speak Chinese, this would be a frighting experience.

Why I feel basic travel medical insurance is not necessarily a bad thing to purchase.
Would insurance even pay for those red envelopes?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If you have insurance, red envelopes are not necessary. They just choose or charge for the most expensive (money making) procedure to the insurance company.

One ER doctor we are getting to know a bit said the best travel insurance from their perspective is Japanese and Korean travel insurance. He said "they never question the bills and just pay" then he laughed.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I'm not convinced Chinese doctors would expect Westerners to pay the red envelopes, but then again I wouldn't put it past anyone.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:17 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I'm not convinced Chinese doctors would expect Westerners to pay the red envelopes, but then again I wouldn't put it past anyone.
They wouldn't expect it, but some nice foreign gift items would be appreciated.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
They don't. They do expect that money sprouts out of our butts and they can charge for what ever they deem necessary. Its not that they do unnecessary medical procedures (this has also been done but that is another story) they assume that we want the very best care and this is the premium price and usually we don't blink at the cost because generally speaking, medical costs are not that expensive in relative comparision to home wherever home is.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:46 am

Yes..31570324

We get what it IS... but HOW do the companies that offer it stay in business?

HOW is it viable?

I'm mystified!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by trooper
Yes..31570324

We get what it IS... but HOW do the companies that offer it stay in business?

HOW is it viable?

I'm mystified!
I'am not a insurance, can't tell you. Maybe because everyone have this insurance, some 2 or 3 of it. And who really use this? 0,01%? I think less than this.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:01 am

Everyone?

You mean everyone who travels.. which is a relatively small % of the population anywhere I would think...

I can't imagine the "pool" being anywhere near big enough at those rates... must be some factor not yet apparent....
Old Apr 14, 2011, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by trooper
Everyone? You mean everyone who travels.. which is a relatively small % of the population anywhere I would think...
You get it with your creditcard, if your want or not. If you are in a automobile club, like AAA you get it if you want or not. My standard health insurance also included a private abroad health care insurance. So its included in a lot of products we pay for, so you will pay for it even if you dont travel.

Last edited by 31570324; Apr 14, 2011 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:51 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
The incident I was referring to didn't involve drunk expats at a bar. It was
an elderly Chinese woman beaten by a youth gang.
This is similar to what I witnessed. Pretty disturbing.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjU2ODY4NDIw.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_RDBCGm5ls

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Apr 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
They wouldn't expect it, but some nice foreign gift items would be appreciated.
Well, actually (like the US) most doctors in China are addicted to cigarettes. That goes a long way.

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
They don't. They do expect that money sprouts out of our butts and they can charge for what ever they deem necessary. Its not that they do unnecessary medical procedures (this has also been done but that is another story) they assume that we want the very best care and this is the premium price and usually we don't blink at the cost because generally speaking, medical costs are not that expensive in relative comparision to home wherever home is.
Yes and no. Being someone that has received medical care in China things can actually be quite cheap. Most things in China are regulated re price and you pay the hospital, not the doctor. Not saying there are times when you get caught up on pricing scams, but most things in China for foreigners are legit and priced accurately. Just my experience (but then again I speak the language).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.