Wiki Posts
Search

Electronics / gadgets in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:57 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Electronics / gadgets in Shanghai

Mrs. DUF, micro DUF and I will be in Shanghai in a few days. We would like to buy a few things which, if I were in Hong Kong, would buy at the night market: Electric converters, LED torches, SATA-USB adapters etc.

Would someone know where one could buy those things in Shanghai? Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:43 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
When in Hong Kong, I'd be looking for these things in one of the electronics malls around Mong Kok or on Hong Kong island. You can find similar malls in Shanghai in the Xujiahui area - and probably in some other places - maybe somebody else knows...?

I'm afraid, I don't know about markets.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: Platinum for Life Flying Blue; LH FTL
In Pudong there is 1 big electronics malls, right next to the Pudong Intercontinental. This one is great for PC related items.

A second big mall is about 500 meters further down the road, on the opposite side. There you should go for phones and their accessories.

enjoy!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Mrs. DUF, micro DUF and I will be in Shanghai in a few days. We would like to buy a few things which, if I were in Hong Kong, would buy at the night market: Electric converters, LED torches, SATA-USB adapters etc.
Have you tried Ebay? Seriously, probably the exact same stuff and sent from China to your door.

It's super cheap for the stuff you mentioned.

Personally, I'd buy electric converters locally. For anything that plugs into the wall, my tolerance for quality is substantially higher. Yeah, they'll probably be made in China, but hopefully the UL test (or related) labelling isn't faked.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:44 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by wjv144
In Pudong there is 1 big electronics malls, right next to the Pudong Intercontinental. This one is great for PC related items.

A second big mall is about 500 meters further down the road, on the opposite side. There you should go for phones and their accessories.

enjoy!
Thanks. Its a bit far out but should I have time I might check them out.

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Have you tried Ebay? Seriously, probably the exact same stuff and sent from China to your door.

It's super cheap for the stuff you mentioned.

Personally, I'd buy electric converters locally. For anything that plugs into the wall, my tolerance for quality is substantially higher. Yeah, they'll probably be made in China, but hopefully the UL test (or related) labelling isn't faked.
Same stuff maybe but 3 times the price. And so far all my cheap adapters have worked well. And I need lots of them as we operate European, Australian and US plugs/appliances/voltage in our house.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:45 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
You can find similar malls in Shanghai in the Xujiahui area - and probably in some other places - maybe somebody else knows...?
Thanks, I might ask at the hotel about those malls.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:07 pm

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...,0.003685&z=19

Make sure you go into the old derelict building (Yi Qi) and not the brand new one (Er Qi) as that's where the bargains are.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Take the metro to Xujiahui and at least two entrances (you can't fail them) lead directly into some of the malls. Have fun bargaining there!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: DL, VS, BA; HHonors Gold; Marriott Silver; Accor Silver
To be honest I have to agree with Braindrain. Ebay is probably as good a bet and the quality may be higher than the local malls. Tried Xujiahui shopping for electrical goods before but it's hit and miss.

BTW I have heard - although not experienced - about dodgy wiring on converters at malls. So be careful when looking for cheapo electrical items, or you might get more fizz than you bargained for. And never leave the stuff plugged in when you're out of your hotel room either.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well if super gung ho about electronics, order from Taobao and have it shipped to your hotel. Requires ability to read and order on a Chinese website, but guarantee to have lowest prices.

Otherwise just walk the streets, check around YuYuan (not in it, but the mall near it where cabs drop people off).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Take the metro to Xujiahui and at least two entrances (you can't fail them) lead directly into some of the malls. Have fun bargaining there!
To be specific, exits 4, 5, 9, and 10 all lead to electronics malls. 4 and 5 lead to the new one (not bad, they have specials every now and then, especially now and during Chinese New Year), 9 leads to an older one (remodeled, Japanese restaurants and a Carl's Jr on B1F whereas the electronic stuff starts at 1F), and the one connected to 10 is positively ancient (not bad if you're looking for headphones on 2F or the Apple reseller on the mezzanine floor, though it's a bit hit and miss).
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:27 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks for your help everyone, I will try some of those locations out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.