Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Using Credit Cards in China - The Great CC Rip Off (dynamic currency conversion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Credit Cards in China - The Great CC Rip Off (dynamic currency conversion)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:38 pm

I just stayed at two different IHG properties in China recently. The Crowne Plaza in Xi'an tried several times but was unable to bill in RMB, so I finally paid cash. The Holiday Inn Aqua City in Nanjing billed in RMB (after I had explicitly asked them to). I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected to have to pay cash again.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
This may help stimulate some changes:

"WTO: China Discriminates Against U.S. Credit Cards".

(Wall St. Journal--if the link doesn't take you to the full article, google the title and that link will).
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by drewguy
This may help stimulate some changes:

"WTO: China Discriminates Against U.S. Credit Cards".

(Wall St. Journal--if the link doesn't take you to the full article, google the title and that link will).

Not really.

The ruling makes RMB-denominated Visa, MC and/or Amex cards a possibility.

But it will very probably be restricted to Mainland China income earners or persons with substantial liquid assets in Mainland China.

Given currency controls (which the WTO has not struck down) it is highly unlikely a non-Chinese issuer can issue a RMB-denominated card.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-22.html#323 for a discussion on the difficulties on getting a RMB-denominated card outside the PRC at present.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: various
Any Updates for Bank of China

Compared to instructions posted in 2011?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
I was under the impression that those of us who live in this country had long since given up.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: various
Turns out didn't even need to try. Fairmont Hotel Beijing. Early check out night before at the Gold Club. Manager just ran credit card for RMB, no issues no fights on DCC. Said they could do in home bank currency also if desired. Add +1 on the positive data point side.

(Fairmont is lovely, BTW, much less hustle-bustle than places like China World, the Westin, etc. Wonderful Gold Club Lounge with very personalized attention.)
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jiejie
Was it the POS machine, software, or both that changed?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jamar
Finally figured out how to do it without "tearing out the phone line".

1- Perform the transaction as normal.
2- As soon as "VISA(or MC) 查询汇率" pops up, press the red "cancel" button.
3- The same screen as you'll see after the missing phone line pops up, except it says "OPTOUT" this time. Press "CNY" (the left soft-key).
4- Enjoy your DCC-free transaction.

So just like the BoC machines of old. I'm surprised this didn't occur to me (or anyone else) sooner.

This is a DCC-free HSBC thermal slip.
Was this a chip transaction?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Was this a chip transaction?
Yes, it's a chip transaction. You can see at the very bottom of the slip. The "AID:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" identifies which chip application was used, and won't show up on a card without a chip.

...is it not working for mag-stripe cards?

EDIT: tried with my EMV-less Chase UA card, it does NOT show the rate-check screen if you use the stripe, so no way to opt out without using the "disconnect phone line" method. A very curious incentive to get a chipped card. mnredfox might want to put this in so that people with magstripe-only cards who try my instructions don't get confused when it doesn't work.

Last edited by jamar; Aug 23, 2012 at 3:28 am
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Sadly, and despite my very best efforts, I did get DCC'd at the Grand Hyatt in Beijing.

Fortunately it was only for around $180US, so not talking about a huge amount of money... but I had been able to avoid/stop it a few times.

When checking out, was in a bit of a hurry and just forgot.

Ah well.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Sadly, and despite my very best efforts, I did get DCC'd at the Grand Hyatt in Beijing.

Fortunately it was only for around $180US, so not talking about a huge amount of money... but I had been able to avoid/stop it a few times.

When checking out, was in a bit of a hurry and just forgot.

Ah well.
I would contact them and ask them to reverse charges and rebill in RMB. Claim that you asked to be billed in RMB.

I have had several hotels DCC me (although I did ask to be billed in RMB) and every one of them has reversed the original charge. While I had the receipt noting my choice in most instances, they never asked for any proof.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:47 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I wonder if anyone has experience with buying things online from retailers such as amazon.cn, 360buy.com, or newegg.cn? Will they charge DCC? Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by swy
I wonder if anyone has experience with buying things online from retailers such as amazon.cn, 360buy.com, or newegg.cn? Will they charge DCC? Thanks!
Don't all of them require Chinese credit cards or Alipay?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:30 pm

Wow, I didn't realize that there are so many problems with Chinese credit cards. Thanks for all the info!

Last edited by medium_alpaca; Jul 1, 2013 at 2:38 am
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jamar
Yes, it's a chip transaction. You can see at the very bottom of the slip. The "AID:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" identifies which chip application was used, and won't show up on a card without a chip.

...is it not working for mag-stripe cards?

EDIT: tried with my EMV-less Chase UA card, it does NOT show the rate-check screen if you use the stripe, so no way to opt out without using the "disconnect phone line" method. A very curious incentive to get a chipped card. mnredfox might want to put this in so that people with magstripe-only cards who try my instructions don't get confused when it doesn't work.
My RBC Visa Infinite has a chip.
In PRC I use my SCB card but it has tried to draw from my HKD acct....
I've also been presented with mandatory DCC in which case I pay RMB cash.
(I always carry around 60 in China)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.