Wiki Posts
Search

the Shanghai ground transportation data thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I also vote for the taxi.

Most of time, it takes 45 min for the taxi to get me from downtown hotel to Pudong Airport Terminal 2.

I know it's 170 RMB, but saves me a lot of stress. I won't try other cominations with my luggage.

Let me confess, I haven't even tried the maglev yet after going in and out of PVG so many times.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
A little help please

Wife and I will be spending 3 nights in Shanghai. Flying in to PVG, staying at JW Mariott Tomorrow Square.

We would like to take the MAGLEV, then transfer to subway.

I tried (honestly!) to figure it out, but I am lost.

Could anyone give me a little assistance in how to make this trip. It would be a lot more fun and interesting than simply taking a taxi.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Aug 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Wife and I will be spending 3 nights in Shanghai. Flying in to PVG, staying at JW Mariott Tomorrow Square.

Could anyone give me a little assistance in how to make this trip. It would be a lot more fun and interesting than simply taking a taxi.

thanks in advance.
The subway is pretty easy, but you'll want to check out a station map once you reach Peoples Square (one of largest subway stations in world) in order to determine the most desirable exit. I wouldn't dream of trying this with more than one piece of luggage and a computer bag.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

thanks in advance.
How much bags do you have and when are you arriving. Luggage in People's square at rush hour = no fun.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by mnredfox
How much bags do you have and when are you arriving. Luggage in People's square at rush hour = no fun.
Maybe better to get off at Nanjing West Rd. station? Should be also easier to get a cab for the short ride to the hotel.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
Maybe better to get off at Nanjing West Rd. station? Should be also easier to get a cab for the short ride to the hotel.
That area is often a taxi dead zone. I've walked home from there (~1 mile) numerous times after giving up.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
The subway is pretty easy, but you'll want to check out a station map once you reach Peoples Square (one of largest subway stations in world) in order to determine the most desirable exit. I wouldn't dream of trying this with more than one piece of luggage and a computer bag.
Is it bigger than Shinjuku Station in Tokyo??

How do you say "yikes" in Chinese?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by susiesan
Is it bigger than Shinjuku Station in Tokyo??

How do you say "yikes" in Chinese?
I'm guessing the almighty Google could deliver the answer to your question, but I don't fancy going that route because I honestly don't care (in spite of the fact that I'll spend 10x more time posting this reply). Apart from it being big, there are long walks between the various lines that serve it, huge crowds, and pickpockets... my least favorite place in China (well, apart from some of the toilets I encountered during the summer of '95).
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by mnredfox
We will have (hopefully) 1 piece of luggage each plus carry/backpack. Sounds like we should take a taxi.

Maybe we will ride the MAGLEV on a sightseeing day. (sans luggage)
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
We will have (hopefully) 1 piece of luggage each plus carry/backpack. Sounds like we should take a taxi.

Maglev won't be a problem with the luggage you state. Going through people's square won't be that bad, unless you are a freak about personal space.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:39 am

You can easily ride the maglev with that amount of luggage, just grab a cab after you get off the maglev.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
This is something I should have asked a couple of weeks ago (when it happened), but better late than never so that I don't time my trips around it anymore.

For quite a while I've been doing intracity runs on the G trains every so often (SH West-SH, Hongqiao-SH, but mostly Hongqiao-Songjiang). Then I try to book a ticket like that on a D train and am told (by three different people at SH main station) that there's a new MoR rule that nobody's allowed to sell intracity tickets on the CDG trains anymore, and that ticket desk people are to be penalized for it. Anybody know what's going on?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamar
This is something I should have asked a couple of weeks ago (when it happened), but better late than never so that I don't time my trips around it anymore.

For quite a while I've been doing intracity runs on the G trains every so often (SH West-SH, Hongqiao-SH, but mostly Hongqiao-Songjiang). Then I try to book a ticket like that on a D train and am told (by three different people at SH main station) that there's a new MoR rule that nobody's allowed to sell intracity tickets on the CDG trains anymore, and that ticket desk people are to be penalized for it. Anybody know what's going on?
Well, you could just buy a ticket to Kunshan (or some other close place that's outside of SH city limits). And, on the way back, maybe just jump on the train and buy on board (not sure how you'd get on the platform without a ticket though)?

BTW, tielu.org refers to Hongqiao Stn. as "Shanghai East", presumably because it can't accommodate 4 character station names. I never thought much of this, but it just occurred to me that it is significantly west of "Shanghai West".

G1 高速动车 北京南 北京南 09:00 上海东
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: DL GM, UA PREMIER GOLD, AMEX PLT, HYATT Diamond
From PVG to Hangzhow, advise please...

I will arrive in PVG Aug. 11th, around 5:30pm. After clearing immigration, I plan to take Metro train line 2 to SH-Hongqiao station and purchase a *G train ticket for Hangzhou. I will be staying at the Hyatt on West lake. Is this a good plan? Also, would I be able to take a bus/shuttle to this hotel upon arrival in Hangzhow?

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by solanoma
I will arrive in PVG Aug. 11th, around 5:30pm. After clearing immigration, I plan to take Metro train line 2 to SH-Hongqiao station and purchase a *G train ticket for Hangzhou. I will be staying at the Hyatt on West lake. Is this a good plan? Also, would I be able to take a bus/shuttle to this hotel upon arrival in Hangzhow?

Thanks.
You should also be able to take a direct bus from PVG to Hangzhou.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.