Wiki Posts
Search

nonstop to pvg?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, Hhonors, Priority Club
nonstop to pvg?

Is there a way to find out what airlines/cities offer nonstop to shanghai? Or for that matter, any other international destination? I'm poking through many airline websites only to be offered 1 or 2 stops which equal 24+ hours total travel time. If I had a list of airlines offering nonstop, and from which airports, it would make finding my flights much faster. Best I've found so far is delta from my home port of mco to sfo, then united nonstop to pvg. I'm ok with that but if I knew which airlines/cities offered nonstops it would make my search so much easier. I guess I kinda suck at this since I don't do it as often as most of you do.
Nick
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: various
I'd like to know of a similar website also.

As to your question, if you are looking for nonstops from North American cities to/from PVG, operating own metal (excluding codeshares), I think there is:

EWR: CO
JFK: MU (China Eastern)
DTW: Delta
ORD: UA, AA
SFO: UA
LAX: MU
YVR: MU
YYZ: AC

PVG is not my usual airport, so maybe FT'ers who've scoured the universe for the same nonstop options can chime in here. Your options go up considerably if you don't mind a connection in Tokyo or Seoul, maybe HKG. As a veteran of countless China-Eastern US flights, I regret to inform you that it often entails 24 hours of travelling in each direction, especially if you don't live in a gateway city.

Last edited by jiejie; Aug 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tradernick
Best I've found so far is delta from my home port of mco to sfo, then united nonstop to pvg.
I do this sort of research on a regular basis for award tickets, albeit to much more obscure places than Shanghai (as such, skip the rest of this paragraph if you only care about SH). Step 1: google "<CITY NAME> airport wiki" in order to figure out what airlines fly there and from which cities. Step 2: after verifying that airline X is member of desired alliance, go to its website and check schedules (often 3-4 flights per week). Step 3: figure out easiest way to get from where I am to the city I chose in step 2.

As for MCO-China, both AA and UA fly MCO-ORD-PEK/PVG.

Also,

UA- MCO-SFO-PEK/PVG
CO -MCO-EWR-PEK/PVG
DL- MCO-DTW-PVG
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
www.openflights.org will show you all nonstops from any airport on a map (click the airport, then the little web-like icon).
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:04 am

Here's something from another FTer:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-released.html

I've enjoyed playing around with it. Only issue is that it's not necessarily updated routinely (current version is from April 2010).
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Simply using Wikipedia, type in "Shanghai Pudong Airport", normally only direct flights are listed under "airlines and destinations" section.

Most of airport pages on Wikipedia are up to date.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, Hhonors, Priority Club
Thanks for the great info and tools, folks. This forum is awesome.
Nick
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
You can also use matrix2.itasoftware.com for finding out which airlines offer non-stop service between a pair of airports.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by tradernick
Is there a way to find out what airlines/cities offer nonstop to shanghai? I'm poking through many airline websites only to be offered 1 or 2 stops which equal 24+ hours total travel time. If I had a list of airlines offering nonstop, and from which airports, it would make finding my flights much faster. Best I've found so far is delta from my home port of mco to sfo, then united nonstop to pvg.
Going to the other side of the world just count on 20 to 24 hour total travel time if you get good connections. I see you mention going through SFO. Not the shortest flying time. Shortest is the great circle route. Get a globe and stretch a string from Florida to Shanghai. Direct is over the midwest then Alaska then down the coast past Russia. That is why I go DL (used to be the NW routes) to Asia, transfer at MSP or DTW. It is "on the way". DL had a ATL nonstop but they dropped it

It is actually more flying time to dogleg to CA and then to Asia. The reason people do and the airlines schedule it is there so much traffic between CA and Asia there are lots of flights and low prices with so much competition. The other consideration is a mid winter trip where DTW might have snow trouble, you might want to connect at LAX where they have far fewer snow days.

The other direct route from Florida is CO thru EWR. Their nonstop goes over the North Pole then Siberia and China to PVG. From MCO I would do CO thru EWR or DL connecting at DTW. Both one stop trips with the shortest flying times. Pick whichever alliance you collect FF miles on. After about 22 hours my behind hurts from sitting. Every extra flying hour is agony.

Note: the DL computer will try, but do NOT schedule less than a two hour connection (3 is better, my personal minimum time) at DTW on your return. Immigration and customs is a zoo. A slow zoo. You are lucky to get out of there in an hour. If your plane is the least bit late you or your bag will miss your connnection.

Last edited by Flaflyer; Sep 27, 2010 at 5:49 pm Reason: add gc map link
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by jiejie
I'd like to know of a similar website also.

As to your question, if you are looking for nonstops from North American cities to/from PVG, operating own metal (excluding codeshares), I think there is:

EWR: CO
JFK: MU (China Eastern)
DTW: Delta
ORD: UA, AA
SFO: UA
LAX: MU
YVR: MU
YYZ: AC

PVG is not my usual airport, so maybe FT'ers who've scoured the universe for the same nonstop options can chime in here. Your options go up considerably if you don't mind a connection in Tokyo or Seoul, maybe HKG. As a veteran of countless China-Eastern US flights, I regret to inform you that it often entails 24 hours of travelling in each direction, especially if you don't live in a gateway city.

Don't forget Vancouver (YVR) to PVG on Air Canada. I'm sitting in the lounge now waiting
for my flight to San Diego after returning from Shanghai. Made it in 9 1/2 hours. Good routings to and from West Coast.

Doesn't DL have service from ATL? If so, that would be the best connection from MCO. I know they fly there because I saw their livery today at PVG.

Last edited by maltasr; Sep 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm Reason: additional information
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta ,
DL had non stop from ATL to PVG.That was when NWA and DL were seperate airlines now DL flies non stop only from DTW
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by maltasr
Don't forget Vancouver (YVR) to PVG on Air Canada. Good routings to and from West Coast.
You have lots of different choices from the left coast. Florida is over here on the earthquakes-are-scared-away-by-the-hurricanes coast.

The great circle route goes right over ATL and MSP and ICN.

Originally Posted by maltasr
Doesn't DL have service from ATL? If so, that would be the best connection from MCO. I know they fly there because I saw their livery today at PVG.
DL dropped the 777 ATL service I believe last fall. I think it lasted about a year. Yes it was the best choice from the southeast. Currently DL has a 777 nonstop from DTW and a 744 that stops for 2 hours at Narita on the way, which is slightly out of the way. From ATL there is the daily? Korean 744 to ICN which is right on the way and then an hour or so on smaller KE metal to PVG
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flaflyer

DL dropped the 777 ATL service I believe last fall. I think it lasted about a year. Yes it was the best choice from the southeast.
IIRC, there were an average of 18 O&D pax per day, not exactly 777 material.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.