Wiki Posts
Search

A week in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
Question A week in Shanghai

Sorry to start another Shanghai thread but having read everything there is on this forum and others I am still confused and would value some advice. SO and I will be in Shanghai for a week in September. We will be first time visitors wanting to do Expo and touristy things.

My hotel choice would be heavily influenced by:
  • Location: This is a very big consideration for me especially access to the subway. I realise taxis are very inexpensive but when I have time in a city I find it fun to use public transport. I also like the option to pop back to my hotel during the day if I feel like it, so reasonable proximity to the places I will most likely be visiting would be a big plus.
  • Neighbourhood: I like to be able to walk out of a hotel and find something of a “neighbourhood” around the property i.e. places to walk, eat, watch people, etc. Especially at night if I’m pooped I want to make a short foray and experience more than just the hotel restaurants.
  • Good deal: There are some attractive deals available like the RC Pudong’s stay 7 pay 4 in an executive suite and the 4th night free at the Fairmont Peace Hotel. Obviously no one wants to spend more than they have to but I am probably, er..., thriftier than most around here.

My understanding is that most people prefer Puxi to Pudong but I thought about doing 3/4 nights in Pudong for the Expo part of the trip and then moving to Puxi for more sightseeing. Although I would prefer luxury, I am not averse to other upscale properties if they are more convenient. (I believe JW Marriott is well located, for example. One upside is that I would be able to afford a bigger room/suite in such a place.)

So what do you advise? Stay put in one place or move about? And where exactly? Or am I totally over thinking this (as usual!) and it doesn’t matter too much at all?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT China Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would focus on hotels near Jing'an Temple (Puli, Swiss... Portman, Hilton are a reasonably close) and People's Square (JW, Radisson, LRM) because both are decent areas and are on subway lines (7 and 8) that will take you close to Expo without the need to transfer.

http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

7 days in Shanghai for Expo = 6 days waiting I line
kiddin aside, Puxi is place to be. You know you CAN access Expo from Puxi, right?
Personally, if this is your first time in Shanghai, I wouldn't spend too time at Expo.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
If the OP wants "neighborhoods" then I would avoid Pudong (at least the parts of it that one thinks of) at all costs. It's a concrete jungle...
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:09 pm

Yea, nothing at all in Pudong.
Puxi area is nicer.
As the others mentioned, the following areas are nice.
Jin'an Temple, French Concession, People's sq

U;ll spend too much time waiting in line at Expo as well.
Just pass it up unless u have a VIP pass to cut queue.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HowieG
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

7 days in Shanghai for Expo = 6 days waiting I line
kiddin aside, Puxi is place to be. You know you CAN access Expo from Puxi, right?
Personally, if this is your first time in Shanghai, I wouldn't spend too time at Expo.
Not only can you access it from Puxi, but both JA and People's Square are much closer (in terms of time to get their on public transit; no transfers!) than Lujiazui or Century Park. Even as the crow flies, People's Square is closer. (Refer to the map I posted above.)

I was also tempted to recommend the Okura Garden because it fulfills the "neighborhood" requirement better than the other places I've mentioned. But, from there, you'd be looking at some annoying transfers in order to get to Expo on the subway (it is near the Shaanxi Lu stop on line 1).

Last edited by moondog; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:10 am
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I would do the first night after arrival in Shanghai. Then travel by train either to Hangzhou or Nanjing (the latter with a stop in Suzhou) for a night and return to Shanghai for the Expo days.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Agree, there's no need to stay in Pudong at all. If you do, stay around Century Avenue metro station, which gives direct access to Puxi and the Expo (on Puxi side).

A week in Shanghai seems too much. 3 days for the Expo as well. It depends on how many pavillions you want to visit, but I'm planing for an upcoming private trip one evening ticket and one full day ticket, not more. Furthermore, you say in your other thread that you're going during the October holidays which might not make the Expo a very pleasant experience. You should pre-purchase tickets (ask the hotel) as these are "special" days with higher prices and more people expected than on other days. Edit: Just re-read your post and saw you're going in September, so never mind...

Hotels in Shanghai: Certainly no luxury property, the Le Royal Meridien at People's Square seems to fit your bill well - book a more expensive room or suite with a view - location, as moondog said, is as good as it can get, with immediate metro access. (The Sofitel Hyland is close and in a good location as well).

There's the Radisson New World as well - a solid 4 star hotel with fairly small (standard) rooms - but absolutely no 5 star or even luxury property.

If you really want to spend a couple of days at the Expo, I would probably look into the InterConti Expo, which is close to the Expo site (and to nothing else) with a shuttle service and -according to reports here- with very decent rooms. The hotel is incredibly expensive, compared to other upper upscales.

Spectacular, but in less convenient location and totally overpriced is the Park Hyatt - and I wouldn't stay there on a paid stay; neither at the Grand Hyatt.

The Peninsula is an excellent location for Nanjing Road with fabolous views, but there's no metro access and I would, hence, give it a miss when you plan to use the metro.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Jul 28, 2010 at 4:16 am
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Take everyone's advice and stay Puxi side, not Pudong. I often stay at the Radisson New World www.radisson.com/shanghaicn_newworld it's on Nanjing Road opposite the Peoples Square and it's a really nice hotel and excellent value. It's also 15mins walk to The Bund or 20mins walk to Xintiandi and right next to the underground train station.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
Many thanks for all the info. I am very grateful for the specific recommendations on areas and hotels. :-:

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
U;ll spend too much time waiting in line at Expo as well.
Just pass it up unless u have a VIP pass to cut queue.
Sadly, I am no VIP. And I would happily give Expo a miss after everything I have read about it. But my partner is dead set on it (because of our very enjoyable visit to the Vancouver Expo in the '80s!). Maybe once he has read all the reports he'll change his mind.

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
A week in Shanghai seems too much. 3 days for the Expo as well. It depends on how many pavillions you want to visit, but I'm planing for an upcoming private trip one evening ticket and one full day ticket, not more.
I may well follow your example and shave it down.

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
The Peninsula is an excellent location for Nanjing Road with fabolous views, but there's no metro access and I would, hence, give it a miss when you plan to use the metro.
Nice to know: if we do hotel hop we might include it for a day or two.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
Check out the Binlong aka Barron Business Hotel, it's a boutique hotel by the bund, easy walk to the subway, lots of little restaurants around the corner and an easy walk to Old Town neighborhoods.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Agree fully, stay in Puxi (but if you do go Pudong stay near Century Ave). Ppl Sq or Jing-An are the best as many have suggested.

Don't forget to use ctrip.com to search for hotels.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by fsfguy
Check out the Binlong aka Barron Business Hotel, it's a boutique hotel by the bund, easy walk to the subway, lots of little restaurants around the corner and an easy walk to Old Town neighborhoods.
If you know of other good Shanghai boutique hotels, then please share with the rest of the board.

I'm planning to organize a broader Asia tour for my parents and thought about the Shangri-La for their Shanghai stay. But of course a smaller hotel with more individual touches and access to the city would be nice.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:04 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd second the proposal to cut the stay in Shanghai down from 7 days, even with the expo. Shanghai is THE place to be if you are doing most business in China. It is emphatically not THE place to be if you're a tourist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.