Reload this Page >

Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Deltus
As of May 2019, this thread is closing in on its 9 year anniversary. A lot has changed during the course of the past 9 years. In particular: 1. WeChat Wallet and Alipay have risen to prominence, and 2. banking related security measures have become much more intense. #2 is especially relevant to foreigners in China because many --if not most-- banks are reluctant to open accounts for people on standard tourist or business visas.

The objective of this thread is to help people navigate these waters. Please feel free to add your own data points to the Google Sheet in the following link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lBOLufpsS_YypVd4Yv75aDVNLK2K0t8GHtbV7-O9Hqw/edit?usp=sharing

For an account of using HSBC Premier in China, see post 188.
Print Wikipost

Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889
My understanding of both Alipay and Weixin is that when you link a bank account your name on the bank account must match with absolute precision your name on the payment app, which is normally your name as shown on your passport.
I can really only offer anecdotal evidence on this topic because I've never bothered to research it, but let's just look at BOC and ICBC
-one uses "first middle last" and the other uses "last first middle"
-Alipay is fine with both formats, but WeChat prefers one (ICBC in my case, but if I had tried BOC first maybe that would be their default in my case)
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
My understanding of both Alipay and Weixin is that when you link a bank account your name on the bank account must match with absolute precision your name on the payment app, which is normally your name as shown on your passport.
Alipay is more flexible. WeChat makes the bank name match precisely to your name in the app.

In WeChat I’m only able to add my ICBC debit and credit cards since that’s the only bank where my name is the same as I have on the app. In Alipay I can add all my bank cards (ICBC, CCB and BOC) despite using different ID’s and name order at each bank. Both are needlessly cumbersome to set up but for payment, Alipay is just better.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Alipay is more flexible. WeChat makes the bank name match precisely to your name in the app.

In WeChat I’m only able to add my ICBC debit and credit cards since that’s the only bank where my name is the same as I have on the app. In Alipay I can add all my bank cards (ICBC, CCB and BOC) despite using different ID’s and name order at each bank. Both are needlessly cumbersome to set up but for payment, Alipay is just better.
Again, in the group dinner scenario in which one person pays the total bill and others reimburse, it is much more efficient if everyone uses WeChat. In any event, all of us need both, and I don't care if WeChat is more picky about banks than Alipay (i.e. one reliable connected bank is enough).
Old Jun 23, 2023, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
To fix the first problem, I signed a bunch of forms. The main quandary was they were not really sure if I needed to sign my name as Last First Middle or First Middle Last. We eventually decided on First Middle Last, and First Last was not ok.
My HSBC China credit card started out its life as First Middle Last. This caused no end of troubles with WeChat Pay. I eventually ended up getting HSBC China to change it to Last First Middle as required by WeChat. It's been working perfectly since. Other banks have also slowly converged onto the Last First Middle convention and apparently this is the format specified by the PBOC.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by 889
This is not the case with Alipay. I have two credit cards linked to it with names in opposite orders (Last First Middle and First Middle Last). WeChat on the other hand requires (Last First Middle). You may succeed in adding a card with (First Middle Last) to WeChat but it will never pass real-name verification and you'll forever be prompted to upload your passport details (sometimes once for every transaction).
Old Jun 23, 2023, 2:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tauphi
This is not the case with Alipay. I have two credit cards linked to it with names in opposite orders (Last First Middle and First Middle Last). WeChat on the other hand requires (Last First Middle). You may succeed in adding a card with (First Middle Last) to WeChat but it will never pass real-name verification and you'll forever be prompted to upload your passport details (sometimes once for every transaction).
Sounds very much like a CX check in (tho CX is known to be relaxed about middle names recently).
Old Apr 20, 2024, 2:25 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I confirmed at a Bank of China branch today that foreign passport holders are allowed to exchange RMB for US$500 (or equivalent other currencies) per day with no tax receipt requirements.

Do this 200X a year, and that's $100k.

The teller did recommend that one doesn't do this more than 3X a week.
gudugan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by gudugan
As a tourist (but a tourist with an active SIM card), I can only satisfy requirement 2: real-name verification of your SIM card that has been active for more than 6 months.

Initially they told me that I either had to choose the Y50k account today or wait 6 months to activate the account, but after asking seven more employees and texting the Shanghai branch, we settled on that I could activate it today with a Y50k limit and then switch it to unlimited after 6 months.

They requested a fapiao (receipt) with my real name on the SIM card receipt. Since I have had service for less than a month, I didn’t have any bills yet. The workaround is using Alipay to top up your balance by Y10, which gives you a fapiao in your phone service app (e.g. China Mobile).
I forgot to update this, but I tried to bring a printout 6 months of phone bills and was promptly denied because my phone number was from another province.
They also said the requirement got more strict and 12 months of phone bills would be better. So I got a new Y8 number and am waiting it out
Old Apr 20, 2024, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
I confirmed at a Bank of China branch today that foreign passport holders are allowed to exchange RMB for US$500 (or equivalent other currencies) per day with no tax receipt requirements.

Do this 200X a year, and that's $100k.

The teller did recommend that one doesn't do this more than 3X a week.
You're still bound by the annual US$50,000 limit and yes they will check this before each transaction. However, I think the tracking is based on passport number. So theoretically you could try using two different passports to get around this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 11:54 pm

So theoretically you could try using two different passports to get around this.
Wouldn't they be looking for a valid passport stamp if theyr're accepting the passport for forex quota...?
gudugan likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:40 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
You're still bound by the annual US$50,000 limit and yes they will check this before each transaction. However, I think the tracking is based on passport number. So theoretically you could try using two different passports to get around this.
The info they gave could be wrong, but I specifically asked and they said there's no annual limit, just the daily $500 limit.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Wouldn't they be looking for a valid passport stamp if theyr're accepting the passport for forex quota...?
They could. But it's equally possible to enter China with two completely different passports, e.g., one with a visa and another from a country that's visa-free.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
The info they gave could be wrong, but I specifically asked and they said there's no annual limit, just the daily $500 limit.
When I tried to do this 10 years ago with BoC, I ran into the annual limit. I'd already done a large exchange using documents (which is unlimited in itself, but this pushed me much closer to USD50,000), afterwards I did a number of undocumented exchanges at USD500 per day at various banks, and got refused after a certain number of days because I'd reached the USD50,000 limit.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I've yet to encounter any egates that have a stamping function.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I've yet to encounter any egates that have a stamping function.
Bit confused here - who's eligible to use an egate? I thought it would be Mainland ID holder, HRP and Taibaozheng holders and maybe Residence Permit holders at most.

PRC passport should use Mainland ID?

So how would a visa holder get egate?

(I still have not been back in Mainland since pandemic. I'm going to do it in July, I promise. I assume my existing HRP will work in egate.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.