Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:49 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Good Guy
So far there hasn't been one bit of proof to back up the OP's claim.
Trust me, it's coming. I knew this would pop-up sooner or later. And I was expecting this reaction.

The test is to test for perchlorates which are generally used as oxidizers in homemade explosives.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Good Guy
So far there hasn't been one bit of proof to back up the OP's claim.
Were you looking to support the TSA by being dismissive of what the OP said is coming? It sure seems so.

So as the TSA puts this into place, will you be critical or supportive of this TSA move too? ROTFLOL
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Trust me, it's coming. I knew this would pop-up sooner or later. And I was expecting this reaction.

The test is to test for perchlorates which are generally used as oxidizers in homemade explosives.
From whom were you expecting "this reaction"? TSA supporters?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:02 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC

Yup, just more horse manure to slow down travelers, waste more taxpayer money and erode our civil liberties.

Show me one CREDIBLE threat to USA-based commercial aviation that even purports to be remotely applicable to this bull....

Once again, let's focus on the infinitesimal possibilities and ignore the best ways to test for these items. There are so many glaring fracking holes in the theater that is TSA. But, no, let's shove the taxpayers and traveling public further over the table and give them a royal anal shafting without the benefit of lubrication and without concern for anyone's rights. Because that is what the TSA does...no real security, just anal-plowing and Constitution-riddling window dressing.

More fracking lipstick on a pig.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The TSA's relentless stupidity knows no bounds and is matched only by the willingness of our nation of cowards and idiots to let this pointless nonsense continue after eight years of ghost-chasing.

The charlatans selling phony security know no shame.
^^

I'm actually beginning to believe that Spiff might be right.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's see -- ammonium perchlorate is the oxidizer used in solid rocket propellant. There are two plants in Nevada which produce it. This substance must be mixed in just the right proportion to the fuel, mixed with other inert chemicals, heated up to the consistency of cake batter, and carefully poured into a mold.

I saw this happening at Dulles just the other day.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 5:21 am

Programs: UA
Also, don't forget that thread about pasta being a liquid. Why not if powder can be considered a liquid?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by fliesway2much
let's see -- ammonium perchlorate is the oxidizer used in solid rocket propellant. There are two plants in nevada which produce it. This substance must be mixed in just the right proportion to the fuel, mixed with other inert chemicals, heated up to the consistency of cake batter, and carefully poured into a mold.

i saw this happening at dulles just the other day.
roflmao!!!! ^

Last edited by Superguy; Aug 20, 2009 at 5:48 am Reason: FT editor keeps putting things in lower case :td:
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by dw8146
Your point being?
That if one is going to comment on something in public, one should know something about the subject first. Globalsecurity.com has a pretty good library on the subject of explosives and some other things of interest to the community here.

I am no explosives expert, but I can learn quite a bit from reading at sites like this.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
That if one is going to comment on something in public, one should know something about the subject first. Globalsecurity.com has a pretty good library on the subject of explosives and some other things of interest to the community here.

I am no explosives expert, but I can learn quite a bit from reading at sites like this.
Regarding comments on something you know something about, what's your excuse Mr. Security Expert?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:56 am

From a spokesperson:

There is not a new blanket prohibition of powders. Basically, you may be subjected to additional screening if you have powders or granular substances in your baggage. In addition, you may be asked to open the container to complete the screening process.
So we don't have time to test your LGA's, but we have time to test your powders?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:14 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So is the chunk of sodium metal in my carry-on a banned item?
Hopefully, given that it would probably make your bag catch fire/explode.

Perhaps you're thinking of Gallium: hold it close and it will melt (melting point above room temp but below body temperature). It's also a lot less reactive than sodium.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:22 am
Suspended

The list of retail store-purchased items that "may" be subjected to the "powder checks" can be quite long. So on what basis will the TSA decide whose "powder" is to be opened/checked and whose "powder" is not to be opened.

Will the TSA person open the container themselves? Watch out for flying powder.

Perhaps this is the TSA's idea for yet another phase in the Perpetual Right to Employment Act of 2001 -- this time it's a 2009 amendment for janitorial services.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfp
Hopefully, given that it would probably make your bag catch fire/explode.

Perhaps you're thinking of Gallium: hold it close and it will melt (melting point above room temp but below body temperature). It's also a lot less reactive than sodium.
Sodium is fairly safe as long as it is keep dry.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:26 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Sodium is fairly safe as long as it is keep dry.
And dynamite is quite safe until you detonate it... the point is that sodium metal in any quantity above a trace amount should probably be prohibited in carry-on and checked luggage (I assume it is already prohibited), though I'm not sure the real danger it poses (e.g what would flushing a 1cm cube do?)

(This is coming from a more Spiff-leaning FT member.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.