Wiki Posts
Search

small alcohol bottles in carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

small alcohol bottles in carry-on

Hi,

I am flying aer lingus boston to dublin and would like to bring one or two small bottles of alcohol with me (the tiny ones you get in hotels etc). I have heard that this is ok - is it? Also, if anyone else has done this, do you show security like you would with other liquids or is it best to just leave in the bag?

Thanks,

David
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:32 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
First, welcome to Flyertalk!

No problem to carry them on... however, since they are liquids they must be in your one allowed baggie. Otherwise, if found, they could be destroyed.

Also, if you plan to drink them on the plane, do not be too obvious... technically, you are not allowed to consume any alcohol that is not served by the crew.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Chug them while you wait in the security line.

Last edited by mbstone; Jul 25, 2009 at 9:05 pm
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:35 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
mini bottles of booze at 100ml or less are allowed through security. They go in your freedom baggie with the other liquids. I fly with them quite often and never have issues.

As mentioned above, drinking them on the plane is another matter. You can get in trouble for drinking booze not served by the FAs.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
mini bottles of booze at 100ml or less are allowed through security. They go in your freedom baggie with the other liquids. I fly with them quite often and never have issues.

As mentioned above, drinking them on the plane is another matter. You can get in trouble for drinking booze not served by the FAs.

Ciao,
FH
Only if you get caught!!!!!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
You are allowed to carry them on in the Kippie baggie. The TSA is not in the business of being the revenue police. If airlines want to charge $5-7 a pop for a small airline bottle of booze, they can expect some small scale smuggling. I've seen people ask for just a cup of ice, and the FA just smiles and lets them have it, so it seems to be "don't ask, don't tell" as far as regulations about drinking booze you bought onboard yourself. But the polite thing is to not become visibly intoxicated and not let the FA notice anything that might force her to feel obligated to take action.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
Originally Posted by peachfront
But the polite thing is to not become visibly intoxicated
Ah, but what fun is that?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Unless I’m being thick, I don’t think the OP wanted to consume in flight.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Unless I’m being thick, I don’t think the OP wanted to consume in flight.
Or it is a case of 'can I do this' and at the end of the flight 'the screw top must have worked free'
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I've been carrying a little bourbon with me for a while now. It's been consumed on board and replenished a number of times, no worries. You just need to be discrete about it.

I've also got a flask, it's two 3 oz mini flasks that fit together in a sleeve that I've been thinking about taking, just for the fun of it. They're stamped "3 oz." on the bottom. Anyone try this one?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You should be OK - the only country I know where small quantities of alcohol or alcohol-based fluids are confiscated is China, where, for example, I have seen people with hand sanitizer bottles under 100 ml have them confiscated.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
If they are plastic bottles with plastic lids, no metal at all, you can just put them in ur pant pockets and walk thru the metal detector. When im loaded up on liquids in the quart size bag, I put extras in my pocket. Never have had a problem.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
If you're really worried about being caught, develop a liking for peppermint schnapps (throw in some green food coloring, and it's mouthwash) and coke - although I've never been caught with my little bottles of Woodford.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by kafkadata
Hi,

I am flying aer lingus boston to dublin and would like to bring one or two small bottles of alcohol with me (the tiny ones you get in hotels etc). I have heard that this is ok - is it? Also, if anyone else has done this, do you show security like you would with other liquids or is it best to just leave in the bag?

Thanks,

David
Welcome David.

The only issue I can see is if you try and bring more than can be fit into a single 1 quart clear zip top baggie, or if the concentration of alcohol is more than 70% (which most of them are not).

Leave them in the baggie. As long as you stick that that they should not try and take them, but if they do ask immediately for a supervisor.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
Welcome David.

The only issue I can see is if you try and bring more than can be fit into a single 1 quart clear zip top baggie, or if the concentration of alcohol is more than 70% (which most of them are not).

Leave them in the baggie. As long as you stick that that they should not try and take them, but if they do ask immediately for a supervisor.
Just to add, I've done this with 50mL Grey Goose several times without issue.

Once they actually checked the alcohol content. ^

(Not familiar with finer Vodka, I guess. My Chamborde would have a tougher mental challenge).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.